Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This change annoyed the hell out of me and I also thought it was a bug. However, it does come back but you need to tap the map specifically to see it (it doesn't come up with zooming via pinching). You can then set the compass via North oriented or follow route like before.

But it will disappear again after some time. It's quite infuriating because it saves no space whatsoever or makes the interface look less cluttered. I found it incredibly useful to have up while navigating. Seems intentional and similar to the other V11 changes where anything marginally useful is hidden behind more taps or menus for the sake of "minimalism".
When you select a destination in the nav the screen re-orientates to display the route and the compass square changes to the wiggly "Nav" icon. When you touch that it changes back to the compass, pretty useless though it is.

I took a Polestar for a test drive (the performance model) and boy'o boy the Google Car (or whatever it is called) that is built in to the Polestar is spot on....I really thought Tesla would be a clear winner in the user interface comparison/voice recognition area but I can tell you they are not....over all Tesla looks way more pretty but when it comes to functionality and accuracy (voice recognition) Google Car is way ahead....way ahead....also not having to press a button to kick off voice listening is incredible (just say hey google etc., no button pressing….feels way more Star Trek…I wonder if I can say just “computer, make it so”)….on top of this I had ACDC playing very loud (test drove by myself) and the hey google is still heard without raising my voice.

If the Polestar wasn't so inefficient compared to Tesla I would be interested....
How did you get the polestar test drive? Mrs Leeroy is pretty keen even after persistent model 3 comparison from me. I’m on their ‘stay informed’ list but nothing as yet.

I took a Polestar for a test drive (the performance model) and boy'o boy the Google Car (or whatever it is called) that is built in to the Polestar is spot on....I really thought Tesla would be a clear winner in the user interface comparison/voice recognition area but I can tell you they are not....over all Tesla looks way more pretty but when it comes to functionality and accuracy (voice recognition) Google Car is way ahead....way ahead....also not having to press a button to kick off voice listening is incredible (just say hey google etc., no button pressing….feels way more Star Trek…I wonder if I can say just “computer, make it so”)….on top of this I had ACDC playing very loud (test drove by myself) and the hey google is still heard without raising my voice.

If the Polestar wasn't so inefficient compared to Tesla I would be interested....
I had a look at their website. It does look like a good interface and without the gimmicks that cars dont need. I was particularly interested in the ability to design your own app for your car. Havn’t checked out the efficiency yet, but thats probably an area tesla are always going to lead in.

Reactions: Wol747
How did you get the polestar test drive? Mrs Leeroy is pretty keen even after persistent model 3 comparison from me. I’m on their ‘stay informed’ list but nothing as yet.
they’re probably inundated
I booked my Polestar test-drive in early October and the earliest I could get was late November
I had no luck with XC40 Pure - the books are reportedly full for 2022

Reactions: Leeroy
@Wol747 as you would be well aware, the children of magenta are running the show these days - and they're in the process of handing over the reins to the completely automation dependent thummy generation now. And those are the people implementing our user interfaces.

I can't understand for the life in me why the compass disappears when navigating to a place. There's no reason for that to happen. Also, while navigating, zoom in to an area the car currently is not in, then tell me how to get it to zoom back out with car centred with a single tap. That used to work by just tapping the compass. But with the compass gone, you have to tap the navigation "plan", tap the "..." to select "..." then tap it again to unselect, and it'll zoom out. Very intuitive.

I repeat my mantra: Please open source the MCU code so we can make it good.

Reactions: bay74
@Wol747 as you would be well aware, the children of magenta are running the show these days - and they're in the process of handing over the reins to the completely automation dependent thummy generation now. And those are the people implementing our user interfaces.

I can't understand for the life in me why the compass disappears when navigating to a place. There's no reason for that to happen. Also, while navigating, zoom in to an area the car currently is not in, then tell me how to get it to zoom back out with car centred with a single tap. That used to work by just tapping the compass. But with the compass gone, you have to tap the navigation "plan", tap the "..." to select "..." then tap it again to unselect, and it'll zoom out. Very intuitive.

I repeat my mantra: Please open source the MCU code so we can make it good.
Right. So we get something like the Gnome UI. No thanks 😊

Reactions: HighlyCharged
New update is not the best
Slider for fan instead of +/- isn’t easy to use. To turn on seat heaters the whole aircon turns on plus other hidden menus which previously took one click to get to
On another note, driving to a supercharger the other day I didn’t get the message that it would precondition the battery
Could it be because the battery was low (20%) and it’s trying to save energy (read somewhere that precondition uses more battery) or maybe they just got rid of the message all together
Hoping they soon add the ability to customise any icon/function not just the limited current ones

Apart from voice... how was the rest of the UX? Are you comparing from a MCU1 or MCU2? Would be interesting to see a comparison from MCU3 (i.e. Ryzen) that new Model 3/Y will have.

Interested to hear about screen responsiveness, driver assistance, routing (with charging stops), entertainment apps (Netflix, YouTube, games). Seeing YT reviews of the car imo leaves a lot to be desired, especially when comparing V11 on MCU3.

It's less pretty but functionally very good....I am on MSU latest in my Model 3/X (with ATOM not Ryzen)....whatever Polestart are running CPU wise it works smoothly without any issues.

All the charging stops is built in like Tesla, there is a app area and at the moment it has a bunch like Waze, Spotify (a number of music ones) and since it is based on Android (from Google) it promises to bring lots more (so the sales persons says).

I was surprise how good the car was/is tbh....

I went to the Polestar website and registered on the first day test drives opened....I'd 100% take it for a test drive....I am like both the M3P and the Polestar 2....Tesla get efficiency but it's a neck and neck with one or the other winning out in all other areas....it's a good attempt at an EV.

Yeah I’ve registered also, Will have to wait and see. Mrs likes M3 but seeing we already have one, I think she’s leaning toward something a bit different. Her budget was 60 so the P2 FWD fits that after the rebates but I’ve just learnt the base has no autopilot. 😡😡😡 Once you option that in for 5k the prices are only a couple of $$ apart.

Yeah I’ve registered also, Will have to wait and see. Mrs likes M3 but seeing we already have one, I think she’s leaning toward something a bit different. Her budget was 60 so the P2 FWD fits that after the rebates but I’ve just learnt the base has no autopilot. 😡😡😡 Once you option that in for 5k M3 is a touch cheaper.
Polestar doesn’t have auto pilot, more a driver assist feature that as you move out of a lane without the indicator on the car pushes you back….very different to Tesla Auto Pilot - Tesla +1 here (even though it is crap compared to the 2015 Mobile version still 😜)

Reactions: paulp and Leeroy
Polestar doesn’t have auto pilot, more a driver assist feature that as you move out of a lane without the indicator on the car pushes you back….very different to Tesla Auto Pilot - Tesla +1 here (even though it is crap compared to the 2015 Mobile version still 😜)
I registered for a drive yesterday, so will see what its like. I’d happily trade autopilot for a reliable active cruise control. More than happy to steer. Need cruise control to avoid those pesky camera’s sucking my bank account dry.

Yes I agree it looked more like an active lane assist in their buff, but I watched bjorn review one and it did seem a bit better than lane assist. Of course, nothing to say we would get the same options in Australia. So what you test drive was fitted with their ‘pilot?’

Yes I agree it looked more like an active lane assist in their buff, but I watched bjorn review one and it did seem a bit better than lane assist. Of course, nothing to say we would get the same options in Australia. So what you test drive was fitted with their ‘pilot?’
Yep, it had everything on offer including being what they essential call their performance model….

One thing I can say, that I just remembered….the Polestar seats are really really really nice….

Have to say, not sure if this is a FSD feature, but i've been getting more of those "Lane Departure Avoidance features unavailable" messages recently. It goes away once you stop the car and put it into P but evidently still needs some software work on it.