Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My range in km has not changed since the day I took delivery 4 years ago
That's good.

My car (before the recent glitch where it stopped waking over LTE) used to wake up every 24hrs for about 15 to 25mins. Loss per day was under 1%. On the other thread where we were looking at the fail to wake issue, a S-plaid owner said that his car wakes up every 5 hours! Given that mine used nothing measurable over more than 4 days, with no awakenings, it seems the main drain would be in the awakenings. I wonder if yours is waking up more times per day than it used to? If your car was awake 2.4hrs per day, that would be over 1kwhr which might be 1.5% or more....maybe.....

One area where there seems to have been constant improvement over the past year of releases is Vampire Drain. Now admittedly my LTE seems to have been off the air for a while (documented in the "Cannot wake from App" thread). However, the car went to sleep over 4 days ago with 77% battery and I just woke it up and it is still at 77%! So, worst case, 0.25% loss per day. This is very acceptable indeed. That is with the car unlocked in the garage and in deep sleep.
I've only had the car for a month or so and I've just got back from a 2 week trip away, battery dropped 2% from 80% to 78%, which i thought was pretty good. 2022 M3LR (so old battery type).

I also seem too suffer from the car not waking for the app, and to be a bit random though. :(

just opened my app. I'm on iOS, app was not running, i.e. I kill it every time I close it by swiping up so it doesn't do background refreshes. On opening the app it immediately says "last seen 3 days ago", refreshes about a second later and states "last seen 6 hours ago".

So the "last seen" text clearly is when the Tesla servers last talked to the car, not the app.

Another interesting observation: The app refreshes quicker from here (Europe) than from home in Australia. Lends further evidence to my suspicion that the Tesla in-car SIMs are in fact US based home network SIMs requiring a round trip from Aus to the US for all comms. And thus is quicker from Europe (100ms ping time to US vs. 250ms to US from Aus)

Reactions: Maximillan
If it's a car issue, it could be the 12V lead-acid battery on the way out. The car has to wake up and charge it more often if it's failing.
I had an interesting experience of this with my Renault Zoe. After 4yrs, the loss of SOC went from 1% per month (car locked) to 1% per day. This was during Covid and because of infrequent driving, the energy consumption went from a 125Whr/km to around 300. The 12V auxiliary battery tested okay for internal resistance, capacity (down about 30%) and CCA. But I replaced it (actually with an AGM rather than conventional starter battery) and hey presto- everything went back to the way it was before. Less than 1% loss per month. I still have the old battery and I use it for things like spot welding. Basically, it takes quite a bit of power to keep charged. So I can imagine the same type of issue potentially happening with a Tesla 12V battery which I understand is a fairly basic starter battery from the ICE world. I do a lot of work with batteries and I have not seen a lead acid battery behave like my Zoe battery has.

Reactions: Maximillan
I've got 2022.28.2, and whilst TACC has improved, Autopilot is super panicky about any cars changing into an adjacent lane. Twice I've had it sound the alarms and slam on the brakes, one of those a hire car gently changing into the lane next to me. I never had this issue pre-Tesla Vision.

I won't use it on three lane freeways until hopefully they release a more developed version.

Does anyone remember if the charging stats shown on the screen (when charging) have always been gross?

I thought they used to show what was going into the battery (KW, km/hour, SOC%) but maybe I am mis-remembering. Plus they have changed the font to be more readable so maybe I did not notice before?

I was at a JOLT which means my gross was 23kW but the nett was only 13 to the battery (as confirmed by ScanMyTesla) but the onscreen display said 23kW and 100km/hr). I was sure it used to show the nett! But my brain is aging........