Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve just installed 2022.36.5 and have some questions:
1. I still don’t have adjustable cabin overheat options
2. How do I put the battery status widgets on my phone Lock Screen?
3. How do I add the door unlatch option to the Quick Actions in the app?

I have latest app and iPhone 11.

@Priit 's story is not necessarily evidence for bad cameras. It is evidence that cameras with water on their lenses in low light are a bad mix. It is also evidence that having no light isn't going to work with any camera - paired with my own experience of many hours driven in pitch dark remote Australia at night, which always results in the front left fender camera thinking it's obstructed (because it can't see anything and is too far outside the headlight cone). This is likely not very high on Tesla's test cases.

The existing cameras do in fact have a very good low light performance, along with tremendous dynamic range - they essentially can see 16 f-stops in one go without saturating anything, the very definition of high dynamic range (HDR). Try that with an off the shelf video capable camera chip, even in the professional segment that's not very common.

That is not to say the 1.5 MP chips are good enough. They clearly aren't. Declaring FSD a pipe dream based on that is spreading negativity at best, and presumptuous at worst.

The existing cameras do in fact have a very good low light performance, along with tremendous dynamic range - they essentially can see 16 f-stops in one go without saturating anything
Are you certain of that? I have a top of the line Canon SLR with professional lenses and I think it is about 15 f stops. My eyes are about 20. Are you saying the Tesla cameras are better than the top Nikon/Canon cameras, with large sensors and superb lenses? When I reverse along my shared driveway, in the dark, two days a week, I can certainly not see much in the rear camera. Heaps more from the rear view mirror. I'll have to take my camera down and take some photos and videos to compare with the Tesla camera. But having taken around 40,000 photos with my Canon, a fair number in poor light, that the Tesla cameras are better does not ring true with me!

Yes I am certain of the 16 f-stops. And as you state, high end SLRs can do 15ish f-stops.

The reversing camera is NOT the same camera type used for FSD/TeslaVision/WhateverNomDuJour but just a cheapo terrible low light performance camera. I don't know to what extent the car systems are actually using the input from that camera.

You can readily see this when watching Tesla "dashcam" footage - the colors are terrible because they sacrificed color for sensitivity.

Reactions: johnchidgey
I'm not so sure the existing cameras have anywhere near good enough resolution and low light performance. One only needs to drive at night and the limited performance is clear. At night cyclists and pedestrians are regularly not detected by side and front cameras or the software (but easily seen by us) and not visually displayed as they are in the daytime. Our eye resolution / brain performance and perception are simply vastly superior at night. I don't think it's being either negative nor presumptuous re "FSD" based on the previous history of development and the actual progress / performance to date. HW3 etc was supposed to have all of the grunt and hardware that was ever going to be needed according to the boss. "feature complete by the end of the year" I'm not sure which year but maybe soon after Musky gets to Mars. It's ok to agree to disagree :cool:

You can readily see this when watching Tesla "dashcam" footage - the colors are terrible because they sacrificed color for sensitivity.
To satisfy my curiosity, I am going to shoot some scenes with a good camera and compare with the car footage. I have found the low light performance of the repeater cameras (at least, as displayed on the screen) very poor. I might perch a camera on the dashboard and use a handheld remote to trigger it.

I'm not so sure the existing cameras have anywhere near good enough resolution and low light performance. One only needs to drive at night and the limited performance is clear. At night cyclists and pedestrians are regularly not detected by side and front cameras or the software (but easily seen by us) and not visually displayed as they are in the daytime. Our eye resolution / brain performance and perception are simply vastly superior at night. I don't think it's being either negative nor presumptuous re "FSD" based on the previous history of development and the actual progress / performance to date. HW3 etc was supposed to have all of the grunt and hardware that was ever going to be needed according to the boss. "feature complete by the end of the year" I'm not sure which year but maybe soon after Musky gets to Mars. It's ok to agree to disagree :cool:
HW1 and HW2 were also supposed to have the grunt and performance to be feature complete by the end of the year.

That is not to say the 1.5 MP chips are good enough. They clearly aren't. Declaring FSD a pipe dream based on that is spreading negativity at best, and presumptuous at worst.
Regarding the FSD being a pipe dream comment, I'd suggest that you might want to look at it from a software rather than a hardware perspective. The recent changes to Tesla Vision, along with the frequency of bugs being introduced with new releases, demonstrate that Tesla has a serious issue with their approach to software development that is not good enough for even maintaining the quality of existing functionality.

Yes FSD has proven to be a lot harder than Silicon Valley expected, but once you get to that level you need the highest levels of quality and redundancy because lives are on the line. The hardware is easy part in the FSD equation. It's bloody hard to deliver that level of software quality, and the "upgrades" currently being delivered indicate that FSD is a pipe dream.

They always wanted to be known as a software company rather than a car manufacturer
They sure are heading in the right direction…
Kudos to those that have courage to allow car to drive in conditions mentioned above
Personally from what I have experience so far, would not trust it
I hope my opinion can change in the future but we will have to wait and see

Regarding the FSD being a pipe dream comment, I'd suggest that you might want to look at it from a software rather than a hardware perspective. The recent changes to Tesla Vision, along with the frequency of bugs being introduced with new releases, demonstrate that Tesla has a serious issue with their approach to software development that is not good enough for even maintaining the quality of existing functionality.

Yes FSD has proven to be a lot harder than Silicon Valley expected, but once you get to that level you need the highest levels of quality and redundancy because lives are on the line. The hardware is easy part in the FSD equation. It's bloody hard to deliver that level of software quality, and the "upgrades" currently being delivered indicate that FSD is a pipe dream.

1. I still don’t have adjustable cabin overheat options
Same here. Went from .2 to .5 :(
2. How do I put the battery status widgets on my phone Lock Screen?
Settings > Wallpaper > Left-hand 'Customize' > Tap in box just below clock, the options should appear - drag them around.
3. How do I add the door unlatch option to the Quick Actions in the app?
On the main screen of the app, press and hold on any of the row of icons below the car. Other options should appear which you can swap in and out by dragging.
(Note: It's possible to add a 5th icon to the row - Video demonstrating this here.)

Reactions: ARMARM and Hairyman
One thing I would love on the widget given I use a lot of Type2-2 charging, is if the open Chargeport icon on the widget, could also double as unlock Chargeport when it's in use..

(Of course given that third party charging doesn't really exist in the US, might be waiting a while, although they did add auto unlock on CCS2 DC charging)

@Stratman it's a good discussion, and at the end of the day we all are expressing opinions formed from our individual perceptions of car behaviour and our quite varied technical backgrounds. None of us are intimately involved with Tesla software development (not that I know of anyway).

@doggy1 that experiment is not going to work because the video that's being saved to USB is not HDR - it's a flattened representation of what the car systems see, h.264 encoded (8 bits per pixel). The HDR camera the car is using forms up to 20 bit per pixel images, that's many orders of magnitude better than what you see on the USB stick.

As @moa999 says, these cameras don't show accurate colour reproduction because that's not needed for the feature extraction which happens with the full dynamic range data. The reason they don't do that (other than it not being necessary) is because the colour filters on the chips are set to optimise sensitivity over colour correctness. A normal camera may use a chip that has a Bayer filter to selectively let certain wavelengths through and reconstructs the image from that information. But, when filtering wavelengths, you lose the photons that don't pass the filter thus lowering sensitivity. HW2.0 cameras were employing gray-gray-gray-red pixels, with only red being filtered for one set of pixels. That was improved somewhat for HW2.5 and HW3.0, but still optimises for luminance data over colour correct data.

@Stratman it's a good discussion, and at the end of the day we all are expressing opinions formed from our individual perceptions of car behaviour and our quite varied technical backgrounds. None of us are intimately involved with Tesla software development (not that I know of anyway).

@doggy1 that experiment is not going to work because the video that's being saved to USB is not HDR - it's a flattened representation of what the car systems see, h.264 encoded (8 bits per pixel). The HDR camera the car is using forms up to 20 bit per pixel images, that's many orders of magnitude better than what you see on the USB stick.

As @moa999 says, these cameras don't show accurate colour reproduction because that's not needed for the feature extraction which happens with the full dynamic range data. The reason they don't do that (other than it not being necessary) is because the colour filters on the chips are set to optimise sensitivity over colour correctness. A normal camera may use a chip that has a Bayer filter to selectively let certain wavelengths through and reconstructs the image from that information. But, when filtering wavelengths, you lose the photons that don't pass the filter thus lowering sensitivity. HW2.0 cameras were employing gray-gray-gray-red pixels, with only red being filtered for one set of pixels. That was improved somewhat for HW2.5 and HW3.0, but still optimises for luminance data over colour correct data.
From this explanation, it should then suggest the cameras should be able to view the conditions around the car good enough. If that is the case, then its just software that they don't seem to get right. I had a C class merc in 2001 (Thats over 20 years ago) with auto wipers that I had to never swap to manual operation in 8 years of owning that car. I do recall very rarely, 2-3 times over the years where it was slightly over eager, but worked fine in the dark as well as daylight. Now if Tesla has not been able to get their camera and software to catch up to that reliable function that a sensor 20 years ago did with no issues, maybe they should be looking at either using a different sensor, emulating that sensor function in software or trying something different from what they are doing as that is one function that has not improved at all with any Tesla updates.

I must say I am very happy with my wipers. That includes several horrific downpours earlier in the year.

However, that was all day time travel.

I cannot remember driving at night when raining and perhaps the dark is when people have the most issues. Certainly I am not happy with auto headlights on the Tesla at night and that probably ties in with wipers.

I must say I am very happy with my wipers. That includes several horrific downpours earlier in the year.

However, that was all day time travel.

I cannot remember driving at night when raining and perhaps the dark is when people have the most issues. Certainly I am not happy with auto headlights on the Tesla at night and that probably ties in with wipers.
During daytime and in reasonable light my Tesla wipers have been mostly ok, but as soon as it gets dark, those wipers become totally useless, that is why I assumed it was the camera light sensitivity, as most issues I have had have with auto headlights in dark, wipers in dark, car complaining about low visibility and disabling TACC and AP when in dark, I would pay them to let me keep dumb cruise control with no smarts in some of those situations...
However as they keep saying on the forums here that the cameras have great visibility in dark even though the image they save on dashcam and the image they display on screen seem to hint otherwise, if the cameras can see fine in dark, then it must be the software that gets useless when the light levels go down as it is unable to distinguish if there is rain or not or even differentiate headlights or tail light of another car in front of it and tries to blind them with high beams... and for some reason it even believes that disabling TACC is a great idea when I am doing the driving and the visibility is good enough to see at least half a km ahead with normal human sight and the road is a multi-lane motorway with no more than 3 cars per km stretch of road..

The current auto wipers are broken. I get them activating all the time in dry conditions trying desperately to scratch my windscreen. And yet in the current storm/flooding they are just not going fast enough and I have to manually set them faster.

Somehow Tesla has managed to make auto wipers that are both too sensitive and not sensitive enough.