Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I'm seeing the "app can't wake it up from deep sleep" issue in 2023.12.9 as well.

We've seen the same symptoms before, years ago - where the wakeup message via the mobile network doesn't work, but you can wake it manually by unlocking/locking the doors. Whatever the issue, it was fixed eventually.

That’s really the issue here I suggest. Possibly LTE/4G in the car is still alive, it’s just that once the car goes to sleep (sentry not active) you can’t wake it up remotely.
Hard to test of course because if the car is asleep how can you test the car’s cellular connection is still active and connected to Telstra/Tesla?

No, it's not the firmware. I am on 2023.12.5 and it's happening here too.
Same here, still on 12.5 and just happened for the first time in ages...
I was having the same issue on a previous firmware but was fixed on an update.

It's strange that it's suddenly happening on a range of vehicle with different firmwares, suggests the problem is probably more with the mothership or it's connection to the Telstra network.

That’s really the issue here I suggest. Possibly LTE/4G in the car is still alive, it’s just that once the car goes to sleep (sentry not active) you can’t wake it up remotely.
Hard to test of course because if the car is asleep how can you test the car’s cellular connection is still active and connected to Telstra/Tesla?
The weird thing with this is Friday night I was watching Kayo/Youtube while waiting for my wife to finish her shift.
So LTE was working as it streaming fine.
Seeing it been happening for the last few weeks I check my phone now each time I stop. See if I have connection and Tessie recorded the trip.
Had no connection to the car while I was in it parked watching something.
So maybe mothership. Or some people say it SMS the car to wake up.
Hit their monthly limit on Telstra

Other weird thing says last charge 81km. Although just charged to 100% 9km ago

Did you unplug between charges? If you do multiple, discrete charges without unplugging, the app will report the amount of range added on the ”last charge” based on what the remaining range was when you plugged the car in.

I‘ve noticed this with multiple excess solar charging sessions over 2-3 days if I don’t happen to use the car at all during that time.

The LTE module in the car is always active (in idle mode and pageable), otherwise it would be impossible to wake the car up. The car is woken by a special kind of SMS message sent to the SIM in the car.

I’ve had waking issues with my car recently as well, with the wheel spinning on the App and nothing happening. This happened about 6 months ago too. It seems to be software related (I am currently on 2023.12.5) because last time it happened it eventually fixed itself.

You can always wake the car up manually by opening the doors. It’s plausible that a car reset might fix the issue but I’ve never tried it. I don’t think it is likely to be a monthly data allowance issue (for non-premium-connectivity SIMs) because if it was, nothing else would work either once the car is awake (e.g. sending it other commands once woken, or viewing its current status) because they are also done via the cellular network when not on WiFi.

My car wouldn’t remotely wake yesterday, nor today, but I could remotely check its charging status on the Tesla App when it was plugged in at an Evie DCFC.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Did you unplug between charges? If you do multiple, discrete charges without unplugging, the app will report the amount of range added on the ”last charge” based on what the remaining range was when you plugged the car in.

I‘ve noticed this with multiple excess solar charging sessions over 2-3 days if I don’t happen to use the car at all during that time.
Was like 6 hours between chargers at different shopping sites. So yes weird

I can remotely unlock the car, but can't remotely turn on the climate control.

The phantom battery drain that I've had with the MY since delivery (and acknowledged by Tesla Service but with a sorry we can't fix it) has been fixed, so I guess I've got that going for me.

The LTE module in the car is always active (in idle mode and pageable), otherwise it would be impossible to wake the car up. The car is woken by a special kind of SMS message sent to the SIM in the car.
That makes perfect sense to me when things are working as they should.

In the situation where we are unable to wake up the car remotely, and if we assume the cellular modem is working, in idle mode and pageable, would it be fair to suggest that either the special SMS messages are not being sent (Tesla server issue), or being sent and not processed/received (Telstra issue), or received and not actioned by the car (vehicle software issue)?

I don't think it is the LTE cellular modem failing because if I disable WiFi in the car the LTE signal strength meter shows around 4 bars out of 5 on the guess meter. Also this from Service Mode ...

IMG_7429.JPG

We all love getting software updates/upgrades, but why oh why do they always seem to arrive with new bugs ... sorry, undocumented features ... that we spend the next bunch of updates trying to fix.

I too have been unable to wake the car from sleep with the app. Have tested - all our phones similarly affected. All locations unless sentry operating. Stops chargeHQ from working properly too.
Uninstall/reinstall of app, scroll wheel reset and 'brake pedal' reset of car hasn't fixed.

Noted after most recent update, and never before this.

Must be a widespread problem. Was going to log as a service call, but the app insists on booking an appointment which is really not so convenient if it's a widespread issue that may be fixed..

Reactions: Aussie M3
I too have been unable to wake the car from sleep with the app. Have tested - all our phones similarly affected. All locations unless sentry operating. Stops chargeHQ from working properly too.
Uninstall/reinstall of app, scroll wheel reset and 'brake pedal' reset of car hasn't fixed.

Noted after most recent update, and never before this.

Must be a widespread problem. Was going to log as a service call, but the app insists on booking an appointment which is really not so convenient if it's a widespread issue that may be fixed..
Note you have to “book an appointment” but in my experience tesla will always try and solve an issue remotely or call you if the appointment isnt necessary. Hence I always book a couple of days out.

Reactions: Aussie M3
In the situation where we are unable to wake up the car remotely, and if we assume the cellular modem is working, in idle mode and pageable, would it be fair to suggest that either the special SMS messages are not being sent (Tesla server issue), or being sent and not processed/received (Telstra issue), or received and not actioned by the car (vehicle software issue)?

Any of the above… lots of elements in the chain from the App to the Tesla servers to a Telstra tower to your SIM to the car. Given how widespread the ‘wake’ issue appears to be, and that once the car is awake everything else seems to work via the App, the problem definitely seems to be at the Tesla end, either the Tesla servers, or some bug in the latest SW update in the car.

We all love getting software updates/upgrades, but why oh why do they always seem to arrive with new bugs ... sorry, undocumented features ... that we spend the next bunch of updates trying to fix.

That’s just the way Tesla rolls… all new releases seem to break something that was previously working. Sometimes something quite unimportant, sometimes not 🤷‍♂️.

2 steps forward, 1 step back…

Model S will not connect either. I’d say there is a tesla server issue. Probably resolve itself next day or two.

Thanks for this, the more evidence there is the more it appears to be a network issue, either Tesla or Telstra <- (why does it hurt my brain typing that? Feels a bit like Santa Vs Satan)

My issues started on the previously stable 12.5 and didn't change with the 12.9 update.
In other words, independent of software changes...