Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20200710_104319.jpg
Screenshot_20200710-104358.png

After changing the wheel setting, the screen blacked out a la soft reboot; after that a message appeared stating the TPM has been reconfigured.

Just noticed that the app image also showed the passenger side door opened where I was sitting :).

Good news with the latest update is that for some reason the greyed out "USB Format" is now not greyed out. Not sure what happened there.

While I do understand that sentry mode has a decent battery drain, I drained 7% of my battery overnight (LR), so I am going to watch this more carefully over the new few days.

Yes, I've had 6% loss in about 23 hours, it is on Sentry mode, but all other consumption that I can think of is off.

Does anyone have any perspective of whether this is normal? Or how to dig into the internals to look at power trend graphs?

Yes, I've had 6% loss in about 23 hours, it is on Sentry mode, but all other consumption that I can think of is off.

Does anyone have any perspective of whether this is normal? Or how to dig into the internals to look at power trend graphs?
That sounds about right. Expect about 1 mile per hour loss with Sentry mode on. In 23 hours that would be 23 miles or 37 kilometers. On a car with an EPA rating of 310 miles that would be 7.4%. Sentry mode keeps the ultrasonic sensors running along with the cameras.

I updated to 2020.20.17 before I started on a road trip to Tin Can Bay and Bundaberg from the Gold Coast.

I still had a couple of phantom breaking events on the M1, with one that scared the hell out of me as another driver was following quite close behind. Roadworks with diversions or new sections still cause problems with the car saying the speed limit was 60 km/h and suddenly slowing down.

As much as I hate TACC around the suburbs, it's really becoming quite good for road trips. I used it on Rainbow Beach Road (single lane each way @ 100 km/h) and TACC slowed down to decent speeds at corners, e.g. if the signed recommendation was 80 km/h it would be between 85-90 km/h. From another perspective, it was still able to catch up to another vehicle that was doing 100 km/h in the straights and slowing down in the corners. TACC is still not quite as smooth as I'd like, but it's something that I can switch on and feel OK about it. If you are wondering why I didn't put Autopilot on; I don't trust it on roads with crests and turns at 100 km/h combined with a chance of a kangaroo jumping out in front of me.

On the way back I didn't have any cars to follow. I was about to claim victory of it handling the whole stretch well when I rounded a corner and it disengaged completely, taking about 10 seconds before I could enable it again. I'm guessing this was because the sun shone directly at the cameras, but it was disconcerting all the same. It would be nice to see an error message with the reason to provide some reassurance that it wasn't unexplained.

This is the first road trip we've been on (Gold Coast surrounds and to Brisbane northern suburbs don't count) since getting the car in December and it's been a breeze. I tried supercharging in Gympie without sharing a stall (only other time was pathetic when sharing in Brisbane) and was amazed at how fast it was. I've just been using a Chargefox 50 KW that I average around 40 KW and destination chargers as I'm living in a unit with no where to charge. Given the speed, there was no way we could have gone for a meal without needing to return to the car and move it from the charging bay.

I left home with just over 70% and charged in Gympie to be safe, but if I had left with 90% I could have made it to Tin Can Bay in one charge. This is with a Model 3 Performance.

Yes this is normal on a model 3. I have left my car parked at the airport for two or three days at a time on several occasions. With Sentry on Teslafi tells me it uses 6% per 24 hour period. With Sentry off, a fraction of 1% per day and loses only 1 or 2 km of range.

• Informative
Reactions: AndyEV
chance of a kangaroo jumping out in front of me.
Have seen a few videos from the northern hemispere where autopilot has apparently averted collisions with moose, deer etc. Was wondering if anyone has had an autopilot encounter with a roo yet. They are right up there in the unpredictability stakes. The roos I have seen have stayed on the side of the road (so far touch wood).

Reactions: MonicaPlease
A few days ago at 110 km/h, we passed close by to an already deceased fox around 60cm from our wheel track on the centre lines. Amazingly, despite being quite low profile, it visualised as a witches hat - briefly standing then doing a jittery tipping on it's side just as we passed! No steering movement or braking by autopilot. Another owner we know reported a close encounter with a crossing roo (no contact) - nothing visualised, and no vehicle reaction as it passed in front of him.

Have seen a few videos from the northern hemispere where autopilot has apparently averted collisions with moose, deer etc. Was wondering if anyone has had an autopilot encounter with a roo yet. They are right up there in the unpredictability stakes. The roos I have seen have stayed on the side of the road (so far touch wood).

Yes I did at 80kmh while traveling through the outback at night last year. It was sitting on the road. I braked while being relatively far away still. I was vigilant because theres been roos everywhere all evening. It's a bit of a tough cookie. AP generally lets off the accelerator pedal later than a human would so I am not sure if it would have braked.

Given that the AP visualization didnt show any obstruction/human as I got closer to the roo (it refused to move until I was fairly close) I doubt it would have stopped at all.

I heared rumours that AP was patched shortly after to recognize dogs as humans but not sure if a roo looks similar enough to a dog for the AI to see it as a dog..

I think I have a video floating around.... ill edit it in if i can find it.

edit: WhatsApp Video 2020-07-11 at 23.28.29 It was in the Teslacamviewer so the bit where I met the roo was actually cut out by the teslacamviewer software and I didnt save the original video from the harddrive. Back then I thought that the internal camera deletes 5 seconds of footage or so when it blends over - didnt realize that was just a sideeffect from the Teslacamviewer and the footage is actually fully recorded and just had to be retrieved manually.

but you can see how it is just about to appear in the distance and that it hopped away when i was very close.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Have the maps been updated?

Yes, it looks like there has been a map update recently. In my case, a local road, which is and always has been 60km/h, but was previously shown as 50km/h has been updated. It's been updated to 70km/h though o_O, still, at least I can now set it to 60kmh, which I wasn't able to do before.

I haven't been far enough away from home to see any other updates though.

Reactions: Hairyman
I see you are on the NSW South Coast.

I hit a roo, on autopilot. There was heavy traffic June Long weekend , and it was travelling north from Moruya, and just before Ulladulla, in a 100 zone. Traffic was doing maybe 90km per hour, and a roo appeared (it made it between two cars travelling opposite direction , and landed in front of mine. There was a 4 x 4 right up my rear, and I couldnt stop.

Damage is around $2k (Already quoted from Tesla Alexandria) Car drives fine , but needs a new front facia. Friends at Mouya said they use a roo scarer, plastic tube that produces a whistle, under their car.

Foot note.. After that incident , further along 200 metres , another roo was standing on the left side of the road , and autopilot went to stop. It slowed, and then I used accelerator at lower speed as I went past it.

I hit a roo, on autopilot.

Bugger! I guess there are situations where not even the most alert driver or collision avoidance system can predict animal behaviour.

Friends at Mouya said they use a roo scarer, plastic tube that produces a whistle, under their car.

There are people that swear by these. Others don't: quote from the "Lessons Learned" section of this blog: Tesla Model 3 around Australia

"Things that were a dead loss

“Roo Shoo” ultrasonic whistles. The kangaroos, wallabies and cattle totally ignored mine. As far as I could tell, the only thing the whistles did was give a false sense of security. This was the opinion of everyone I talked to out in remote areas."

I still had a couple of phantom breaking events on the M1, with one that scared the hell out of me as another driver was following quite close behind. Roadworks with diversions or new sections still cause problems with the car saying the speed limit was 60 km/h and suddenly slowing down.

I've come to not mind. To the casual observer it looks like you're giving tailgaters what they deserve.

Though I still slam on the throttle if it's not simultaneously beeping. That makes it look even more intentional!

You could also claim to have spotted wildlife nearby, and pretend you slowed intentionally, if someone asked you at a rest stop ahead!

If you are wondering why I didn't put Autopilot on; I don't trust it on roads with crests and turns at 100 km/h combined with a chance of a kangaroo jumping out in front of me.

I'd have thought TACC was just as likely to brake for wildlife as Autopilot.

I noticed last weekend on Tourist Road near Robertson NSW that my 2020 Model 3 SR+ car shut off its headlights as I sailed past less than a metre from an enormous wombat, late at night. I think I was on TACC at the time. Scared the crap out of me. I tried repeatedly to log a bug report, though I later realised that wildlife are attracted to lights & perhaps it knew we both had things entirely under control. I'd have appreciated an on-screen notice to say that it dropped the headlights intentionally and was ready to take control and swerve (soft shoulder - but potentially safe) if necessary.

As such, I agree, there are quite a few country roads I regularly use where I also don't like Autopilot.

On the way back I didn't have any cars to follow. I was about to claim victory of it handling the whole stretch well when I rounded a corner and it disengaged completely, taking about 10 seconds before I could enable it again. I'm guessing this was because the sun shone directly at the cameras, but it was disconcerting all the same. It would be nice to see an error message with the reason to provide some reassurance that it wasn't unexplained.

It needs to get a fix on lanemarkings, and I think that's just a matter of time. Though it stops trying and resets every time it beeps and fails. I just need to take a brief chill pill before retrying.

[/QUOTE]This is the first road trip we've been on (Gold Coast surrounds and to Brisbane northern suburbs don't count) since getting the car in December and it's been a breeze. I tried supercharging in Gympie without sharing a stall (only other time was pathetic when sharing in Brisbane) and was amazed at how fast it was. [/QUOTE]

Just don't try using Gympie at night, when the centre is closed and locked!

I've just been using a Chargefox 50 KW that I average around 40 KW and destination chargers as I'm living in a unit with no where to charge. Given the speed, there was no way we could have gone for a meal without needing to return to the car and move it from the charging bay.

Takes me 40 minutes on an SR+ to go from 10% to 90%.

If you're bothered by slow service at a nearby restaurant, use your app, and push the limit to high 90%'s. Not because you intend to actually charge that high (stop charging as you're a few minutes walk from the car), but because if you're delayed while eating, you don't want to accrue fees for no charge in return!

It's safe enough to go a touch past 90% if you plan to drive the car immediately.

Bugger! I guess there are situations where not even the most alert driver or collision avoidance system can predict animal behaviour.

There are people that swear by these. Others don't: quote from the "Lessons Learned" section of this blog: Tesla Model 3 around Australia

"Things that were a dead loss

“Roo Shoo” ultrasonic whistles. The kangaroos, wallabies and cattle totally ignored mine. As far as I could tell, the only thing the whistles did was give a false sense of security. This was the opinion of everyone I talked to out in remote areas."

That model3 around Australia link was some good reading ! Thanks for the link.

Best thing is to try and avoid driving at Dusk in well known roo areas. Another high roo count area is just south of Canberra between Canberra and Cooma. Plus a lot of other parts of Australia. I had not figured on heavy traffic and a roo dodging between two cars on the other side of the road , then landing from that hop, in front of mine - no time to react -just the thud. Still
$2k is cheap compared to other cars - no frame damage, just front nose panel, and a cover and coolant motor part ,under the frunk ( $2k includes labour and tax)

I see you are on the NSW South Coast.

I hit a roo, on autopilot. There was heavy traffic June Long weekend , and it was travelling north from Moruya, and just before Ulladulla, in a 100 zone. Traffic was doing maybe 90km per hour, and a roo appeared (it made it between two cars travelling opposite direction , and landed in front of mine. There was a 4 x 4 right up my rear, and I couldnt stop.

Damage is around $2k (Already quoted from Tesla Alexandria) Car drives fine , but needs a new front facia. Friends at Mouya said they use a roo scarer, plastic tube that produces a whistle, under their car.

Foot note.. After that incident , further along 200 metres , another roo was standing on the left side of the road , and autopilot went to stop. It slowed, and then I used accelerator at lower speed as I went past it.

i have reviewed the trials done on this and roo whistles dont work and physicially cant really work as roos apparently cant hear the frequency.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
i have reviewed the trials done on this and roo whistles dont work and physicially cant really work as roos apparently cant hear the frequency.

Seems that way from my reading too. I thought the second roo, which was a bit further along, had made my Tesla stop on autopilot, but not sure now , as i was in heavy traffic - - the car slowed as I got close to a big roo seconds after I hit the smaller one. But maybe I was looking at the roo, and the car might have been was slowing for the traffic in front - not slowing for the roo.

Either way - i didnt see the smaller roo that hopped between the two cars coming the towards me driving south - so my bad luck. (And good luck to the other two cars)

Maybe the car will recognise roos at that speed and in that similar situation, but I am not counting on it.

The ability to recognise a roo standing on the road I think is already there though - especially for bigger ones. Perhaps someone else has stopped on autopilot for a roo.

Meanwhile, I will keep fingers crossed, eyes alert, and try and avoid dusk driving if possible.