Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think we'll ever see FSD (FSD as in the original definition of autonomous level 4 or even 5) in present cars.
FSD as in beta, possibly but unlikely outside the US. I don't think Tesla had much idea of just how different places have wildly differing rules and traffic conditions - blimey the 50 US states have different traffic rules!
And what has become fashionable to call "edge cases" are 99% of the time no more than what we as drivers cope with every day without conscious effort - and when we can't work something "edge casey" out we can reverse out of it or decide to do something unorthodox. I see no likelihood of the car being able to do this sort of thing, clever though they appear in videos.
I agree a lot of edge cases for an AI are things people are able to cope with easily but the reverse is usually also true that there are lots of things people mess up on while driving that a computer would easily handle correctly all the time.

Realistically we probably won't see level 4 or 5 autonomy FSD in current cars, but I'm confident that the FSD currently being tested in the US will eventually roll out here. Whether that's in a year, or four or more is anyone's guess.

One thing that I've often thought about is - would it be more advantageous to use the same training data for FSD worldwide and have one general model that understands all the rules and conditions in different countries, or is it better to have separate data for each region?

I'm kinda leaning on the latter, I think you'd get better results with a narrower set of rules. And for places like Australia, the vast majority of cars here will never be used overseas anyway. The problem for us then is a much smaller data set to train with compared to overseas.

If you want to record a bug report event but don't need to say anything, you can simply long press the car icon for a few seconds.
That doesn’t actually get sent to anyone. It creates an easy to find time stamp for the engineers to look at the data after you have reported it. This was advised to me via a tesla technician who requested I do the time stamp immediately the issue occurs and then report it to him to facilitate finding the fault.

Reactions: ARMARM
I agree a lot of edge cases for an AI are things people are able to cope with easily but the reverse is usually also true that there are lots of things people mess up on while driving that a computer would easily handle correctly all the time.

Realistically we probably won't see level 4 or 5 autonomy FSD in current cars, but I'm confident that the FSD currently being tested in the US will eventually roll out here. Whether that's in a year, or four or more is anyone's guess.

One thing that I've often thought about is - would it be more advantageous to use the same training data for FSD worldwide and have one general model that understands all the rules and conditions in different countries, or is it better to have separate data for each region?

I'm kinda leaning on the latter, I think you'd get better results with a narrower set of rules. And for places like Australia, the vast majority of cars here will never be used overseas anyway. The problem for us then is a much smaller data set to train with compared to overseas.

Baed on that I'll never sell the car and eventually Telstra will have to give me a new car as they said it would support FSD or upgrade it free of charge....

It is also the case that there are plenty of times my tesla messes up all on its own even in basic cruise control.
It does not handle basic tasks without fault all the time.
I guess it falls into your category of people messing up though as people design the tesla software.

Been a while since a nav data update.

image.jpg

Looks like holiday update has started rolling in the US - 2021.44.25

Epic list
- UI redesign like new S/X
- Blindspot cameras on screen
- Lightshow feature (a bit like the X show)
- Customisable menus
- Dashcam clip editor
- Sudoku

That looks like a nice update. Hopefully rolls out to us for Christmas. Or at least before the holidays are over.

Reactions: AussieOwner
Probably reflects how few people use their own USB music these days. There was a big master thread on it back in the day.

But how do they break something like that in the first place? If they’re not fiddling with the software module that deals with that, because they don’t care about it any more, you wonder how it could happen 🤔

I’ve been called a “boomer” for liking my media on USB, but there is a lot of music I listen to that is simply unavailable on any streaming service. A lot of 80s to 00s alternative rock and pop, obscure artists, B-side compilations.

USB media is always with me in the car, is not dependent on paid wireless coverage, doesn’t suffer dropouts or buffering, and has all the stuff I want. What’s not to like?

But how do they break something like that in the first place? If they’re not fiddling with the software module that deals with that, because they don’t care about it any more, you wonder how it could happen 🤔
It is more likely that the "software module" that deals with cover art is not specific to USB music but shared across all music sources.

I have all my music on my phone and play from the phone through Bluetooth. The car might display the cover art from my library, or might replace it with other cover art it gets from the web, or not display cover art at all.

Some recent software updates appear to have changed the behaviour of climate control.

One of the first things I do when I park in my garage is turn off the climate control from the touch screen because I hate it coming on every time to open any door of the car to get stuff out to put stuff in.

A few months ago I remember turning on climate control with my phone so it would cool the car down before I got to it. When I got home I turned off climate control from the touch screen as I normally do. The next day I got a notification on my phone that the cabin was at the right temperature (and the battery had lost over 10% of charge overnight. It appears the climate control was still on.

Since that incident, if I turn climate on remotely, I turn it off remotely before I get back to the car. The turning on and off with the app worked separately from the touch screen. When I'd get back to the car and open the door, climate control would come back on as normal.

In a recent update, they seem to have merged the remote and touchscreen behaviour.

So, I leave the car with climate control switched on with the touchscreen. I close the door and climate control goes off. I come back to the car, open the door and climate control comes back on as it always did. Now, if I turn climate control on remotely and then turn it off again remotely, when I get back to the car it doesn't come back on when I open the door and it is off on the touchscreen.

Has anyone else noticed this?