Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is normal AP getting worse with software updates ?? is it to push us to buy FSD package ? Before the latest software update I probably had may be 4 phantom braking issues in 5 months, since the latest sw update, I have had 5 phantom braking issues in a week.. and even on stretches of dual lane roads where there were literally no other cars or obstacles..
Not sure how aggressive breaking you consider phantom breaking. When I first got the car it had very aggressive phantom breaking, then over the first year it gradually got better until I barely had any instances of it for about a year. Then last year August came and they started with a lot of updates very often and that batch introduced a different kind of breaking behavior, that should be called phantom slowdown as opposed to phantom breaking. This occurs when driving on TACC and the system knows that speed limit did not change as that is displayed correctly, but drops the set speed by anywhere from 20-50km/h below the speed limit and starts slowing to match that incorrect set speed. This has now been happening for me consistently daily on M1 since last year August. It is very annoying and I wish there was a way to just set the speed and force it to use that rather than auto adjust it to some phantom system numbers. So for me the system is currently way worse than it was a year ago. I do hope they are looking into it and plan on fixing it, as I would not even consider to buy FSD if their basic TACC does that.

Yeah the blue line is on the whole time which means FSD active.
As I have not had the pleasure to test FSD, my comments on it are more of a speculation, but I read some of the comments, and there appeared to be some suspicion if he staged it and kept tapping his foot on the accelerator to egg the car on. I don't know if that would disengage the FSD Beta, but doing that while on Autosteering and TACC just gets the car to override some of the caution and keep driving even when it wants to slow down. As we have no visibility into the drivers actions we cannot say for sure if the car chose to go there or if the driver made the choice and car just did the best it could in the situation.

Reactions: paulp
I do wonder what would have happened if another car came through and collected them while that was happening.

*NEWS ARTICLE*
- Tesla FSD crashes again

in reality the driver knew that it shouldn't have gone so why did he let it do it? Putting himself and others at risk if the maneuver was dangerous.
This is the really iffy part of the way that the a/p system is being tested - by amateur owners, who by and large have had no explanation of how it works or why it is programmed to do things and who may or may not be covered by their insurance.
it’s one thing to use “FSD” as we do, as it’s a “driver aid”: testing beta would not be classed like that in the real world. It’s like giving a private pilot a new A380 to test fly without allowing him the manuals, instruction and simulator time.
”Cavalier” describes it perfectly, and it’s not going to end well financially.

That's a great analogy - but doesn't quite apply in full. The difference being, Airbus would need to be selling the A380 as a self flying aircraft requiring nothing but a basic pilots license.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with allowing a private pilot to do that in my view, if they wish to do so, under their own steam, and with their own funds. However, the manufacturer should then be required to provide access to all of the technical details and schematics of how the systems interact.

And they should have a working blackbox installed that we have access to.