Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It also doesn't squeak and creak over bumps and around bends, like my 5YJ Fremont car does. Very nice. I'm not jealous at all. Not even a tiny bit. 🤥
My Fremont build Model 3 manufactured July 2019 developed that squeak around bends and some bumps. I took it for service and they confirmed it was left upper control arm joint that was squeaking and said it appeared a common issue for the 2019 model, so they replaced a component there under warranty and the car is back to its original silent drive.
I'm very happy with mine.
I would not mind getting a few hardware upgrades from newer models like the USB C ports and USB port in glove box, wireless phone charging and powered boot as well as the Tesla tow bar, but so far none of those is big enough item for me to consider actually changing the car. (I did use the Jeda wireless charge pad, but it was drawing too much power that caused my USB drive for sentry to fail a few times a day, as the USB A ports there are USB2 spec and don't have enough power. Once I removed the 3rd party wireless phone charger, the USB drive issues vanished.)

and on a totally unrelated note, I've had a slow leak in the front right tyre, finally got that looked at today, and they found my rim is cracked! That's a first, also I have not run over anything that should be able to crack a rim... anyone familiar with warranty terms on those things?
Rims are not seperated out (unlike tyre wear) so would be part of car warranty. If you hit something that can crack a rim the damage would be very obvious.

thanks @paulp interesting to know! They took away the rim and brought a spare to drive on in the meantime. Now I have 3 grey 21" turbines, and 1 silver 19" alloy rim with red "property of tesla" stickers on it. Looks just fab! they assured me the thicker tyre makes the 19" rim the same diameter as the 21" rim with the thinner tyres...

thanks @paulp interesting to know! They took away the rim and brought a spare to drive on in the meantime. Now I have 3 grey 21" turbines, and 1 silver 19" alloy rim with red "property of tesla" stickers on it. Looks just fab! they assured me the thicker tyre makes the 19" rim the same diameter as the 21" rim with the thinner tyres...
Great that they responded promptly. Hopefully it won't all take too long. Not sure I'd want to drive at high speed with that interesting combo!

Brought my 3 in for service today. I specifically asked them not to update the software (and left a bright pink sticky note as a reminder); the guy I spoke with assured me that they wouldn't. He mentioned that they'd received much "colourful" feedback on v11.

The loaner is a new one with the black window trim and a powered boot (not sure of year). It feels much more comfortable over bumps than my 2019 - is it known when suspension changes were made, by any chance? I also notice that all the panels line up and the seals are all straight and attached and even the physical controls felt better (like the column stalks, window buttons, etc...). It also doesn't squeak and creak over bumps and around bends, like my 5YJ Fremont car does. Very nice. I'm not jealous at all. Not even a tiny bit. 🤥
maybe the bigger heavier battery helps with the smoother ride

I took it for service and they confirmed it was left upper control arm joint that was squeaking and said it appeared a common issue for the 2019 model, so they replaced a component there under warranty and the car is back to its original silent drive.
Wow funny you mention that. The service invoice includes reseal of upper control arm ball joints! Didn't notice any difference on drive home.

They managed to crack the windscreen so I now have another (unscheduled) service visit, to be scheduled when they get the part in. Surprising to me that windscreens aren't an item that they just keep in stock...

Software was left at 2021.40.6 (just to return to a semblance of thread-relevance).

Wow funny you mention that. The service invoice includes reseal of upper control arm ball joints! Didn't notice any difference on drive home.
When they checked my car with the squeak, they mentioned that they could lubricate and try to reseal the joint, but that it usually was a very temporary fix, so they actually ordered a part for mine and I had to take the car back there 6 weeks later when the part arrived, took them less than an hour to replace but has been silent since. So I suspect each service center makes their own decisions on how to fix specific squeak or issue and for yours, they may have taken the easy way with less than stellar results. If it still squeaks, get them to replace under warranty when they look at your windscreen.

When they checked my car with the squeak [....snip....]. If it still squeaks, get them to replace under warranty when they look at your windscreen.
Thanks; I think they replaced them. But the creaks I get sound like they originate from various places around the vehicle, so suspect it's not just the ball joints. Probably doors and seals and other stuff which flexes a bit. Body panels where they touch. Dunno. The rear glass on mine cracked after a year (stress fracture almost across the whole bottom glued area), so... Maybe some missing stiffness somewhere. (And no I'm not off-roading it).

Hey Pritt, this noise you heard... any chance you heard it on a full left turn lock.. cause i've heard some random loud noises at times recently.

Sounded like when you do a fast DC charge and the battery pack does those pops
Not the same kind of noise. Mine sounded like the car was driving over a creaking floorboard. Happened when turning or driving over speedbumps or inconsistencies on road that affected most of the car, did not happen when driving over a potholes that affected single wheel at the time. The sound was loud enough to feel like the creaking floorboard was in the car and the passenger had stepped on it. Was very unpleasant as my car has otherwise been really silent, so no other noises or squeaks during normal drive. At very high acceleration there is a little bit of whine from the motor, that appears normal. Depending on the surface, there can be a little tire noise from road and then there is the AC wind noise when I crank that and some outside wind noise when at speeds over 80-90km/h, but the car otherwise is a very solid and quiet build for me.
Also back to the topic, now with the software version 2022.4.5.1 I am starting to get used to the new UI. It did add back some of the status bar icons, they are there when you need them but go hidden when driving/navigation. Still need a few extra presses to see information like tire pressures and driven distances/trip power consumption, lights, but it no longer takes nearly as long to locate in the menus and the attention away from road is only about double now compared to what it was before the new UI.
On a side note, I read that Tesla is now offering powered boot retrofits for the cars that did not have it in China, if that options becomes available here, I would love that if its not too steep price. That gives me also hope that tow bars and other options may be made available at some point from Tesla.

Hey Pritt, this noise you heard... any chance you heard it on a full left turn lock.. cause i've heard some random loud noises at times recently.

I had what sounds like this issue. Hard turns in either direction would result in a clunk-clunk-clunk noise under the bonnet. When I took my car in to Alexandria for its 2-year inspection this was a known issue to them and they fixed it under warranty. The invoice described it as:

“Checked and tightened all front suspension components. Cleaned mating surfaces between disc and wheel, applied copper grease to surface. Reseal area around both front upper control arm ball joints with urethane”

The noise went away.

Reactions: JohnBNE