Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like getting less for more
Tonight in the rain, the cameras do a terrible job. Ahh we’ll time will tell I guess

I noticed that it mentions that Tesla is moving from 1.2MP cameras to 5MP cameras, however if they push the Vision based software on older cars with lower resolution cameras, that is where the problem comes in as those cameras are rather useless in low light conditions. Also I remember that the camera change was mentioned in the news as details of the camera order and no confirmation from Tesla if those cameras will go into CyberTruck, Semi or all existing or which new models get them and from when those would start getting delivered/used either.
I also use the USS distance numbers rather accurately as my garage door has about 10cm on both sides when I back into garage every day and I end up parking the car with the left back end being 10-15cm off side wall and 30cm from back wall, in the dark backing in there the sensors are priceless, I would hate to have to do without them.

Had a mobile service today,new modem to try to resolve not waking with app.
Interesting. I got this problem with 28.1 or maybe the update before that. Went away after installing 28.2. I had logged a service request but cancelled when it came good.

I'm now on 36.2. But what is interesting (at least for me) is that the car USED (from about 28.1) to wake up every 24hrs (perhaps to check for updates) but now stays asleep for up to 4 days (have not had a period longer than that to say how long it might go). Then while asleep a few days ago, the car woke up and said I had an update, which I accepted and installed.

So pure speculation but I wonder if they changed how the checking for updates works and rather than the car checking every day, now they pop out a push to certain cars when they want to? Their central databases must have a record of what releases are installed in each vehicle. Then again it could be a hangover from my reported problem and maybe they scheduled a push following on from that?

Whatever the reasons, my vampire drain has dropped way down and is now about 1.5% per week.

Who knows!

So even though I have decided to stick with software 2022.20.8 with radar enabled, I think some Tesla Vision elements had already been moved into that software code. Have been doing a lot of highway driving lately on both single carriageway and dual carriageway roads and the phantom braking is greatly increased compared to previous software versions.

On single carriageway, my car now brakes for cars coming in the opposite direction right after a bend. It definitely thinks its going to run into them - it never used to do this.

On dual carriageway my car continuously brakes while I'm trying to overtake cars in the left lane. It obviously thinks they're a problem for some reason because it shades those cars dark on the screen. Also the left lane disappearance issue seems to be getting worse.

When I bought my car 3 years ago, I was a major fanboy, but with all the decisions Tesla is making lately, especially with the removal of USS I am starting to lose faith in this company and their direction.

So even though I have decided to stick with software 2022.20.8 with radar enabled, I think some Tesla Vision elements had already been moved into that software code. Have been doing a lot of highway driving lately on both single carriageway and dual carriageway roads and the phantom braking is greatly increased compared to previous software versions.

On single carriageway, my car now brakes for cars coming in the opposite direction right after a bend. It definitely thinks its going to run into them - it never used to do this.

On dual carriageway my car continuously brakes while I'm trying to overtake cars in the left lane. It obviously thinks they're a problem for some reason because it shades those cars dark on the screen. Also the left lane disappearance issue seems to be getting worse.

When I bought my car 3 years ago, I was a major fanboy, but with all the decisions Tesla is making lately, especially with the removal of USS I am starting to lose faith in this company and their direction.
I upgraded from the 2021 code base directly to 2022.20.8 in August, and all your observations about it being more cautious and less effective are spot on.

I've found that 2022.28.2 has less phantom braking events and an improvement, but it's still not as good as last year's code base.

I took 36.2 for a 200km trip across Sydney and return on Sunday. Partly cloudy with sunny breaks. Only TACC, no AP tried. 10km of dirt road. Irrelevant but HEAPS of potholes, many serious.
For the first time ever, speed sign recognition worked every time. Including plenty of roadwork signs, some at ground level (not on a pole). They did not previously get detected by my car. Plenty of Sydney buses with 40 on the back and none detected this time (thank goodness). Got stuck in a queue of cars on Pennant Hills road and smelly ICE fumes coming in so I said "Recirculate" and it did. "Recirculate off" did not work but "Turn off Recirculate" did work. However, voice rec has always worked well for me.

@cafz I have a Raven (2020 S Performance) that would not require an MCU upgrade (yet). Also paid for FSD and am paying $10 a month for premium connectivity and unlike some others here don't have an issue with FSD not being here yet, because the enhanced autopilot is doing me heaps of good already (even though it does some really bizarre things sometimes).

Reactions: 1001
@maxkonji sorry I'm fresh out of tarot cards. Have this carrot card instead.
31bBjBn4FkL.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: OzVic and Priit
I took 36.2 for a 200km trip across Sydney and return on Sunday. Partly cloudy with sunny breaks. Only TACC, no AP tried. 10km of dirt road. Irrelevant but HEAPS of potholes, many serious.
For the first time ever, speed sign recognition worked every time. Including plenty of roadwork signs, some at ground level (not on a pole). They did not previously get detected by my car. Plenty of Sydney buses with 40 on the back and none detected this time (thank goodness). Got stuck in a queue of cars on Pennant Hills road and smelly ICE fumes coming in so I said "Recirculate" and it did. "Recirculate off" did not work but "Turn off Recirculate" did work. However, voice rec has always worked well for me.
Try saying “Fresh Air”.

Oh, I wouldn't have described that as an _old_ S. Presumably that has the MCU that does LTE?

It seems to be more than the MCU or AP computer, I have a suspicion (pure speculation) that the subsystems (e.g. BCM) on legacy cars don't communicate as well, or at all, with each other the way the newer models do. One example is, how you can open and close the windows via the app for the 3 & Y, but you can only open them with the S & X.

But then I could be totally wrong, as Green posted this on Twitter back in May ...
🤷‍♂️