Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
car [M3LR] is on 2022.36.6
I’ve been driving over the past week, Sydney to Melbourne and back
today I’ve been getting a lot of phantom braking, none previously
is this ever supposed to be fixed in an update?
Phantom braking came back for me with that release. I wonder if it was to do with changing to camera-only autopilot. It has settled down again now I’m on 40.4. I’ll see how it goes with a long drive next week.

2022.40.4 seems rather solid for me currently. I have not been offered the 2022.40.4.1 yet but I can see that it is doing a major rollout currently. Can anyone here confirm if the .1 update there is still solid or would it be one to make things worse. Just want to make sure that I don't accidentally accept an update that makes it much worse for me if they happen to offer it to my car.

Tesla decided update my software WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
They don't need your permission to install updates that are required for safety or the health of the vehicle

Also, by refusing to install the updates when they become available you may be in breach of the vehicle warranty

You may void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty if
you do not follow the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and
operation of the vehicle provided in your owner documentation, including, but not limited to:
• Installing the vehicle's software updates after notification that there is an update available

If you don't want a car that gets regular updates, don't buy a Tesla.

Well last night while I was sleeping my Tesla decided update my software WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. Much to my disgust I am now on Tesla vision. Let's see how this plays out I suppose...
Just like with recalls, some updates are required to be pushed out as they may affect the safety features or safe operation of the vehicle, so they can forcer those out without requiring you to approve them. If those cause other issues such as what we have seen before, you just roll with it and accept a few next updates until you are back on a stable release and can stay on it until you need to update or you get forced another update and the cycle goes round again.
Usually they get a stable version out every few months, so if you have major issues, it wont be for long.

They don't need your permission to install updates that are required for safety or the health of the vehicle

Also, by refusing to install the updates when they become available you may be in breach of the vehicle warranty

If you don't want a car that gets regular updates, don't buy a Tesla.
The updates are not regular. The bug fixes are regular, generally inflicted at the previous bug fix.

Yeah, I understand. Doesn't stop me being pissed I'm on Tesla vision now. How am I supposed to road trip with the family now? They're gonna freak at the phantom braking, I'm gonna go mad on the auto high beams. Just an all round mess.
To be fair, I think the phantom braking is getting much better with the latest releases. IMHO the real gotcha moving away from radar to Tesla Vision is loss of functionality when conditions for vision are poor (dark, heavy rain, etc.).

Has anyone experienced issues with app not turning on climate or/and seat warmers reliably every time?
It used to before the last lot of updates but now not so reliable
Service centre can’t find anything
I have the seat warmers on the bottom quick access bar and since the software update the buttons don't work at all. I can to into climate control and update there, but the bottom bar buttons are useless

They're gonna freak at the phantom braking, I'm gonna go mad on the auto high beams
Have you tried the high beams since the update?

I've seen plenty of reports that it's much improved now, and Bjørn's latest video showed the auto-dipping working perfectly, it just took a little longer than expected to go back to high-beam. At least it's no longer blinding other drivers.

And as for the phantom breaking I've seen just as many people say it's better without radar than people saying it's worse - and on the internet people are much more likely to complain than to praise, so I doubt it's as bad as some people would have us believe.

Oh crap. Figured I’d finally install the radar killing update .40.4.1 and after taking ages the stupid thing has deleted all profiles, all trip data, everything. Piece of crap. Now says trunk and frunk too. Lost my lifetime trip stats. Grrrr! Have to set up everything all over again (it’s kept the keys, that’s it). And it thinks I’m in some place called Palo Alto Hills (or nearabouts).

Last edited:
Yeah, I understand. Doesn't stop me being pissed I'm on Tesla vision now. How am I supposed to road trip with the family now? They're gonna freak at the phantom braking, I'm gonna go mad on the auto high beams. Just an all round mess.
I was like you and didn't upgrade for a while due to Tesla Vision however after using it for quite a while now I believe AP is much better. Note that I only use AP on freeways or dual carriage highways. Phantom Braking is almost nonexistent. I can sometimes feel the car come off the accelerator for a split second and I lose 2-3km of speed but its not like before where the speed would just keep dropping quickly and go 10-15km wiped off immediately.
Auto headlights seems a lot better but again I am on freeways only. Auto Wipers also have been playing nicely for the most part too.

Doing Syd-Canberra regularly and almost always leaving at the crack of dawn AP is on for nearly the whole journey. I always remind myself that if AP was flawless that I would probably end up asleep as the drive is quite boring! Perhaps the 'almost finished' AP is Tesla's way of keeping the driver on edge and alert?:D

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: OzVic and [Zombie]
First drive on Vision autopilot tonight and I noticed it was stupid in slow traffic but on the freeway seemed fine. No phantom braking, but I didn’t get that much with radar either. Presume the road is just amenable to AP.

Auto high beam on the other hand. Gees what a damn pain that stupid shitshow is. I thought I’d be able to turn it off but nope, the control is greyed out in the ON position while in AP. Sure you can toggle the left stalk forward to turn off high beam ONCE IT’S ON, but not right when you enable AP (as I had understood from these forums). And when you want to turn on high beam, sometimes the stalk doesn’t work. Just refuses. Presume the stupid algorithm is overriding my input because at that time it doesn’t want high beam, which is not how ANY other inputs are dealt with. Driver always overrides brakes, throttle, wiper setting. But not half of the moronic high beams.

I still have to re-enter all of my favourite addresses and set up my wife’s profile. Stupid software updates. That’ll teach me, guess I’ll be on .40.4.1 for the next year or three.

😡