Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time to get the claim moving forward - see a solicitor
I would do the following
Completely ignore the terms "warranty"

Write a letter to Tesla Australia
Include the following in the letter
You allege Car is not of acceptable quality, not fit for purpose and does not match the description of the advertising. (These are word for word your consumer guarantees under the law).
You believe the Tesla with respect to VINnumber XXXXXXXX is not meeting its Consumer Guarantee obligations provided for under the Competition and Consumer Act

Dont mention" warranty" because the warranty from a legislative point of view in Australia is additional to your consumer guarantees. Consumer guarantees applies regardless of the warranty. A warranty cannot exclude a consumer guarantee

Then put in a claim in whatever tribunal your solicitor advises.

Going nuclear isn't the best first option. As for spending $200k on legal fees, not sure how someone arrived at that.

Going nuclear isn't the best first option. As for spending $200k on legal fees, not sure how someone arrived at that.

Yes, but I have been told by many people the ACCC are not interested in helping re these cases (I’ll call but those telling me are reliable sources), I have given Tesla years to fix/address my concerns/issue, I am always dismissed or at best they’ll have someone higher up call (which never happens).

So, what am I meant to do? I was prepared to get a new X which based on mileage achieved coming out to the USA would have been fine, now I cannot get a new X, I feel ripped off re FSD and Tesla doesn’t seem to give a s&$t.

Reactions: Quickst
No idea other X's, we drive like grandma's (never had the half shafts replaced and on first set of tyres at 55,000km's is proof of that), have the power saving mode on, temp set not to use my engergy and in winter we are often at 285 Wh/km which means at best we will get 235km's on a 90% charge, or some 20% less than what the car says it will do when set to typical (not rated) range.

So yeah...no good.
I have left one of my trip meters untouched, and my lifetime consumption on my 2014 Model S 85 is 187 Wh/Km over a span of 220,00Km. What is your lifetime consumption?
Are there any Model X owners who can let us know their lifetime consumption?

Reactions: Onshore
Yes, but I have been told by many people the ACCC are not interested in helping re these cases (I’ll call but those telling me are reliable sources), I have given Tesla years to fix/address my concerns/issue, I am always dismissed or at best they’ll have someone higher up call (which never happens).

I think it’s pretty clear that something is quite wrong with your X, your energy consumption is too high by a very big margin.

Those telling you the ACCC is not interested in cases such as this are right. The ACCC has bigger fish to fry with corporate non-compliance of competition legislation.

Usually the first port of call in any dispute with a supplier, if all reasonable efforts to resolve with that supplier have failed, is to approach your local state office of Fair Trading or similar. Have all the documentation ready of when and how your tried to have your complaint dealt with, and the supplier‘s responses. This pathway is very low-cost and in most cases will result in resolution. e.g. for NSW:

The next step would be a civil tribunal. Again this is low cost and decisions are binding.

Only if all that fails, and you still think in financial terms it is worth fighting, should you consider a lawsuit. The costs involved in that are likely to completely outweigh the financial loss you think you might have suffered, so unless you win the case, there is a big risk of doubling your losses and more.

OP’s consumption seems oddly high.

I recall Bjorn Nylund had a car doing this and it was found to be a dragging brake calliper.

Wheel alignment problems can also cause high consumption.

Both probably worth looking into.
Wouldn’t a dragging brake caliper destroy the disk with wear (which tesla would have noticed) and cause bad steering? whilst poor alignment would destroy the tyres.

That would create an unusual noise easily picked up in a quiet EV.
Apparently not. Bjorn detected it by pulling over after some 100kph highway driving and then touching the hot rotor! The other 3 rotors were cold.

Video should be up on YouTube still. Was a couple of years back.

Just putting it out there as something worth checking. OP hasn’t really told us what diagnostics have been done to date.

Thanks for everyone’s replies, if it is the brakes I’d be pretty pissed at Tesla as I asked them to check them as they are noisey (scrapping noise, not the usual Tesla squeak) and they told me everything is normal. I don’t think wheel alignment issue as we have had alignments 1-2 times per year, first set of tyres and at 55,000km’s.

Today it is 16C and have driven around 80km’s and for the last 50km’s on average range we are at 315 Wh/km.

IMG_1445.jpeg

Thanks for everyone’s replies, if it is the brakes I’d be pretty pissed at Tesla as I asked them to check them as they are noisey (scrapping noise, not the usual Tesla squeak) and they told me everything is normal. I don’t think wheel alignment issue as we have had alignments 1-2 times per year, first set of tyres and at 55,000km’s.

Today it is 16C and have driven around 80km’s and for the last 50km’s on average range we are at 315 Wh/km.

View attachment 964212
Wow, that is exactly as you say- terrible.
Have you run the battery right down to see if the problem is in estimating range rather than real?
That is over double my lifetime rate in a Ludicrous Performance S, and I think Tesla has some explaining to do.

Thats completely over the top. I wonder whats going on. I'm averaging 140-160 Wh/km.
Possibly not the battery??
Tesla say the battery tests perfectly fine, we always keep it in the ideal range of charge 20%-80% and charge 95%+ via solar (not SC even though we have free SC’ing).

I don’t expect a Model X to average anything like a 3/Y but would have expected 230-240 Wh/km not the shockingly bad figures we are getting…

I might add I have been complaining to Tesla for 4 years and providing proof and desperate calls for help, I have been completely ignored…if I treated my customers like this I know I wouldn’t be in business, it is very frustrating to say the least…

View attachment 964212
Noisy brakes? That might point to the issue

Tesla say the battery tests perfectly fine, we always keep it in the ideal range of charge 20%-80% and charge 95%+ via solar (not SC even though we have free SC’ing).

I don’t expect a Model X to average anything like a 3/Y but would have expected 230-240 Wh/km not the shockingly bad figures we are getting…

I might add I have been complaining to Tesla for 4 years and providing proof and desperate calls for help, I have been completely ignored…if I treated my customers like this I know I wouldn’t be in business, it is very frustrating to say the least…
You are in melb. You could lodge another service request as they cannot ignore those, and in the comments ask if Gerard can review the problem. He is very skilled and is the national service trainer.

You are in melb. You could lodge another service request as they cannot ignore those, and in the comments ask if Gerard can review the problem. He is very skilled and is the national service trainer.

Thanks Paul....will do, good advise.

I may ask the service tech we have coming this Wednesday to check re brakes....Tesla just replaced the Windows regulators and now we have a very obvious door rattle which they are fixing with a mobile service tech.

At this stage I am counting the days until the the EQE SUV is released...

Reactions: paulp
Thanks Paul....will do, good advise.

I may ask the service tech we have coming this Wednesday to check re brakes....Tesla just replaced the Windows regulators and now we have a very obvious door rattle which they are fixing with a mobile service tech.

At this stage I am counting the days until the the EQE SUV is released...
I was informed eqe suv is going to be available to test in mid to late September

Excellent...I know I am going to be out of pocket $240k'ish+ at a guess but if range is anything like what the EQE gets (and how dead accurate I have heard it is re what the car says you will get and real life what you do get) then it will be a breath of fresh air...
Yes the eqe range is accurate. It also adjusts the expected range each charge based on your driving style, which makes it super accurate unless you have a terrain change. Merc recommend 80% daily driving maximum charge.

Last edited:
If you want a metric that is closest to “real world” range that appears to be EPA.

I find my “real world” range is very close to what the Tesla battery icon shows, which is not NEDC, WLTP or EPA.
This is good info thanks

I was reading RE the Tesla battery icon in the navigation stuff, was EPA. I always wondered if that is for yanks or if the USA thing is universal including Aus / NZ. Given you illustrate the navigation shown in the battery icon isnt EPA is there any info on how its actually derived?