Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for your comments but this isn’t a 1-2% discrepancy. 355 km is 7% higher than 332km. Also, this has only started since the most recent software update. Prior to that, the range reported in the phone notification at the completion of charge was exactly the same as what was shown in the car. Something has gone amiss.

Still happening - did an excess solar charge today. The App notification said charging completed with battery at 316 km. The icon in the car said 332 km - 5% more. WTH?

Powerwall so i'm on 23.12.11 my parents are on 23.12.2

Not sure what the latest now is in Aust
Frustratingly, Australian Powerwalls are stuck on 23.12.2, meaning we can't Charge on Solar. Tesla have removed references to Charge on Solar from our documentation and say they don't intend it to be available here in the near or medium term. More false advertising from Tesla. I hope they reconsider soon.

Ever considered it's not Tesla but ACCC / Energy companies / Fed + State govts?
My car charger detects export power and activates the car charger. It is not a tesla product and as far as I know there are 3 brands available in australia that do this. It is quite analogue though, none of them offer ramping up and down. Its just on or off based on the parameters that are set.

Ever considered it's not Tesla but ACCC / Energy companies / Fed + State govts?

Why would it be? It is an appliance (the car) turning on and off in response to information being sent from the Powerwall's Gateway. It acts to smooth the PV export curve (not drawing from the grid when PV production drops while also soaking up excess production), which is exactly the sort of thing the regulators tell us we should be doing.

Either way, this is a feature that Tesla have told us is "coming" for a long time, and was a factor in my decision to buy both Powerwall and car.

No, we're on 23.12.11 & so are others who have posted here & in WP. The Charge on Solar isn't available in Australia, but not because of the software version number.
Thanks for this. Tesla told me otherwise, but I can well believe they were mistaken.

Why would it be? It is an appliance (the car) turning on and off in response to information being sent from the Powerwall's Gateway. It acts to smooth the PV export curve (not drawing from the grid when PV production drops while also soaking up excess production), which is exactly the sort of thing the regulators tell us we should be doing.

Either way, this is a feature that Tesla have told us is "coming" for a long time, and was a factor in my decision to buy both Powerwall and car.

Thanks for this. Tesla told me otherwise, but I can well believe they were mistaken.
You can check your powerwall version using the app. Go to ‘settings‘ than ‘my home info’.

Why would it be? It is an appliance (the car) turning on and off in response to information being sent from the Powerwall's Gateway.

That’s not quite how it works. It works using the Tesla API, like everything else that controls the car. For “charge on solar” Tesla would regularly need to poll your PW2, and when there is excess solar, send a message to the car to start (or stop) charging, and keep changing the charging rate to track the excess solar. And it would need to do this at quite a high frequency - at least every 5 minutes, if not more.

That is a lot of traffic over the API - significantly more than any other current interaction with the car which tends to be episodic (start a drive, stop a drive, charging). My speculation is it’s a commercial issue with Tesla’s M2M contract with Telstra. If your car was not on WiFi, this traffic would be carried over the cellular network, and probably in excess of what Tesla’s contract permits.

So they’d could limit it to WiFi connected cars only… but what happens if your WiFi or NBN network goes down mid-charge, and your car continues charging until you hit peak electricity rates? Is Tesla opening the door to ridiculous lawsuits from unreasonable customers? Or Tesla might require that you be on Premium Connectivity to use it. Or they solve this issue commercially with Telstra and absorb the extra cost.

I can’t see how the DNSP or any level of Government could have any say in this matter.

Reactions: cafz
Frustratingly, Australian Powerwalls are stuck on 23.12.2, meaning we can't Charge on Solar. Tesla have removed references to Charge on Solar from our documentation and say they don't intend it to be available here in the near or medium term. More false advertising from Tesla. I hope they reconsider soon.

I am using the Australia developed APP called "Charge HQ"....works a charm....

My car charger detects export power and activates the car charger. It is not a tesla product and as far as I know there are 3 brands available in australia that do this. It is quite analogue though, none of them offer ramping up and down. Its just on or off based on the parameters that are set.
Charge HQ rams up and down the AMPs, many settings like buffer min solar production and level some KWs for the battery to charge, which devices gets priority (PW or car etc.).

It's good stuff...

You can check your powerwall version using the app. Go to ‘settings‘ than ‘my home info’.
Thanks. I reported my firmware version number in my post above. Tesla told me it is the latest version available in Australia, which is apparently incorrect.

That’s not quite how it works. It works using the Tesla API, like everything else that controls the car. For “charge on solar” Tesla would regularly need to poll your PW2, and when there is excess solar, send a message to the car to start (or stop) charging, and keep changing the charging rate to track the excess solar. And it would need to do this at quite a high frequency - at least every 5 minutes, if not more.

That is a lot of traffic over the API - significantly more than any other current interaction with the car which tends to be episodic (start a drive, stop a drive, charging). My speculation is it’s a commercial issue with Tesla’s M2M contract with Telstra. If your car was not on WiFi, this traffic would be carried over the cellular network, and probably in excess of what Tesla’s contract permits.

So they’d could limit it to WiFi connected cars only… but what happens if your WiFi or NBN network goes down mid-charge, and your car continues charging until you hit peak electricity rates? Is Tesla opening the door to ridiculous lawsuits from unreasonable customers? Or Tesla might require that you be on Premium Connectivity to use it. Or they solve this issue commercially with Telstra and absorb the extra cost.

I can’t see how the DNSP or any level of Government could have any say in this matter.
Thanks. That feels like you are just giving a longer description of what I said. Perhaps I am missing some nuance. The car draws power ("turns on and off" and, yes, at different charge rates) in response to information received from the Gateway (as you say, this is via the API). Like you, I can't see how that has anything to do with the Government or other regulators, let alone the ACCC.

Thanks for the suggestion that Tesla might be concerned about the unusual case of losing WiFi while charging. In that case, I would assume it worth their while to either eat the extra API calls via mobile, or to continue charging, but send a notification through the app so the owner has the option of stopping charging if they wish.

Thanks. I reported my firmware version number in my post above. Tesla told me it is the latest version available in Australia, which is apparently incorrect.

Thanks. That feels like you are just giving a longer description of what I said. Perhaps I am missing some nuance. The car draws power ("turns on and off" and, yes, at different charge rates) in response to information received from the Gateway (as you say, this is via the API). Like you, I can't see how that has anything to do with the Government or other regulators, let alone the ACCC.

Thanks for the suggestion that Tesla might be concerned about the unusual case of losing WiFi while charging. In that case, I would assume it worth their while to either eat the extra API calls via mobile, or to continue charging, but send a notification through the app so the owner has the option of stopping charging if they wish.

Get Charge HQ from Apple APP store (not sure if they have an Android version as yet), try it for free...it's excellent...support Aussie chaps...

Hey all,

As per my previous posts in here - looks like the relentless 'autopilot will set to 60 even though it recognises its a 40 school zone' is fixed... yay!

so....

Was driving along the other day - had the autopilot set to 95 in a 90 zone (because im a bad ass) - car thought the speed limit changed from 90 to 80 - not sure the zone changes there, but sure - it dropped the set speed from 95 to 90... and then in a couple of hundred meters later - dropped it to 80... first time it happened i thought it was just a glitch, but was driving the same section of road again on the weekend - and it did the same thing...

I have it set so if im above the limit when it engages it sets to that, if im below, it sets to the limit... it's kinda irritating.

Parkes way from between black mountain through toward belconnen for the locals.

Hey all,

As per my previous posts in here - looks like the relentless 'autopilot will set to 60 even though it recognises its a 40 school zone' is fixed... yay!

so....

Was driving along the other day - had the autopilot set to 95 in a 90 zone (because im a bad ass) - car thought the speed limit changed from 90 to 80 - not sure the zone changes there, but sure - it dropped the set speed from 95 to 90... and then in a couple of hundred meters later - dropped it to 80... first time it happened i thought it was just a glitch, but was driving the same section of road again on the weekend - and it did the same thing...

I have it set so if im above the limit when it engages it sets to that, if im below, it sets to the limit... it's kinda irritating.

Parkes way from between black mountain through toward belconnen for the locals.
You can change some of that behaviour in the settings - select the button that keeps the car at the set speed rather than the posted speed.

I was having a problem where the car thought to posted speed was higher than it should have been, so I changed the behaviour to set speed rather than posted speed and it settled down.

Is that the trouble you are having?