Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reasonably happy with auto wipe before the holiday update. Let's say 8/10. The very occasional dry wipe when the sun was at certain acute angles. Then the holiday update and I found I was forever pressing the stalk for manual wipe, much like the experience of a number of others earlier in this thread. My rating went down to 4/10. Now I am on 30.8 and it has definitely improved but still less sensitive than it used to be. Yesterday I was travelling through light drizzle and wipers would come on at about the point where I was having difficulty seeing and about to press the stalk. In part, I was experimenting to see how much it would take before wipers came on. For me, it is now at about 6 or 7 out of 10. I will give the camera area a clean. However I had done that when the holiday update seemed so problematic so probably not an issue. Maybe they need a "sensitivity" setting so that users can define more or less sensitivity?

You're either going to get real good at pressing the stalk button or looking away from the road to find it on the screen, or just end up wishing the auto wipers would work reasonably ok.

Pressing the stalk button does allow you to then use the left wheel scroll to change speed up/down. Not ideal I know, but better than having to find the spot on the screen to press.

Pressing the stalk button does allow you to then use the left wheel scroll to change speed up/down. Not ideal I know, but better than having to find the spot on the screen to press.
Now if only the side to side action on the scroll wheel was actually usable with having to hook a fingernail under the edge to push it across….

It really does make me wonder how much real world testing was done with some of the design “features” in the car.

Now if only the side to side action on the scroll wheel was actually usable with having to hook a fingernail under the edge to push it across….

It really does make me wonder how much real world testing was done with some of the design “features” in the car.
Yeah, it is a little too easy for a side-click to register as an inwards-click. I find it workable, but not as easy as it should be. I like that I can adjust the wiper speed from the steering wheel, but still tend to need to look at the screen while I am doing it. As others have said, I would prefer to be able to adjust how sensitive the auto wipers are. I was able to do that in my 2009 Mazda, and it was pretty effective and could be instantly overridden with a simple twist of the correct control.l when needed.

I wish there was an equivalent way to adjust the headlights. Maybe we could pull the left stalk, then click the scroll wheel to turn lights on, off and auto? Or just have a control instantly accessible on the screen.

There's a new Aussie recall out for Model 3 & Model Y 2022-2023.

Don't worry, this one is done OTA 😜

"Due to a software issue, the steering wheel may feel notchy when operating the vehicle in cold temperatures.

Vehicles may not be compliant with the (Australian Design Rule ADR 90/01 – Steering System) 2021.

Owners of affected vehicles should either contact Tesla to make an appointment to have the vehicle software version inspected and updated to version 2023.38 or later, free of charge, or update their vehicle's software as they usually do using main screen."

(2023.38 was pushed back in October 2023 (2023.38 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates) so you'd think all cars have already been fixed)

(No sign of the Highland recall yet)

• Informative
Reactions: Priit
The recall software update is very irritating in low light or at night. It can't see my face because it's dark and it keeps thinking I'm not facing the road. I now have covered the internal camera as it makes long distance driving almost impossible in low light

Is it just me, or do the auto-wipers seem to function better at night? I was driving in rain the other night and they worked well, but earlier in the day they acted like that crazy uncle who's waiting until the last minute to wipe the windscreen to save money on wiper blades.

Is it just me, or do the auto-wipers seem to function better at night? I was driving in rain the other night and they worked well, but earlier in the day they acted like that crazy uncle who's waiting until the last minute to wipe the windscreen to save money on wiper blades.

He never turned the AC on either. Always told you to wind the window down and enjoy the fresh air!

Cautionary tale:
I thought I’d would be home earlier so this morning I delayed an update till 1 pm. 15 min later after 1 I’m now sitting in my car in shopping centre car park waiting for update 2024.2.2.1 to complete. Very slow.

Edit 1: Didn’t see a notification as I was heading back to car through busy mall and of course can’t cancel while it’s happening. Boot full of groceries. No aircon. Agghh 😭

But now notice a new message on screen: Updating Electronic Control Units Driving disabled.
This makes me think I could have driven it for a few minutes. Maybe?
Edit 2: a weird series of beep sounds from screen area for a couple of minutes.

Last edited:
@Hungry Mile - yeah, don’t schedule software updates during the day, unless you are really sure you don’t need to drive anywhere.

Note you get a 2-minute grace period to manually stop a software update, you should be notified in the App.
Yep. First time for everything!
Also, “don’t ignore app notifications“ is good advice!
Anyway, no harm done. Just got hungry! 😉