Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Map updates are loaded just like firmware updates: with a full reboot. If it's the only update it just happens quicker. They're usually wrapped up in firmware updates though.

My Tesla has never given speed camera warnings. I wish it did. My wife's Lexus has that as a standard feature...

Reactions: dronus
Map updates are loaded just like firmware updates: with a full reboot. If it's the only update it just happens quicker. They're usually wrapped up in firmware updates though.

My Tesla has never given speed camera warnings. I wish it did. My wife's Lexus has that as a standard feature...
Yeah, I've done software updates, just never had a map update as yet, so wasn't sure how it happened.

Telsa got the speed camera and other alerts with the Christmas updates, they've just only been activated in certain countries so far. I've heard from a few sources that it is tied to the map updates.

• Helpful
Reactions: dronus and Chuq

the eqe nav lets you add your own POI’s using a usb. I added the $10 australian speed camera locations available from a 3rd party. I checked with the provider and they are unable to provide a POI file that interfaces with my ModelS

Reactions: Maximillan
I notice there’s an update to the phone app that mentions “increase security by allowing access to motion and fitness data”. The only sense I can make of that is that if the phone is not moving the app won’t unlock/start the car (i.e. while it’s sitting on your bedside table it’s signal can’t be relayed?)

increase security by allowing access to motion and fitness data”.
Better accuracy when allowing access to the car. I think it will only allow the car to unlock if the phone is moving. Better security as thieves can’t open it if your near and not moving phone. Also wakes car up less if your near.

Explained a bit here

The biggest feature Tesla introduce would be to support Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Will we see it? Free is good, but would you pay for it?
Not likely. The thing to consider is that Android Auto and Apple Carplay are not features themselves, they are systems that allow access to other features. Other automakers ceded this to Apple/Google because the automakers don’t have the experience or resources to do so (including maintaining apps/software on an ongoing basis).

Tesla does as it’s an integrated part of the vehicle. Where another vehicle might just let you use CarPlay to use Google Maps to do your navigation, Tesla will do your navigation, and use starting battery SOC and other conditions to predict your range, and divert you to superchargers automatically if needed, and use their data on supercharger usage to divert you to the best supercharger options, and pre-condition your battery when you get close so your charging speed is optimised.

I think it makes far more sense for Tesla to do it all “in-house”. Although I may be biased as none of my previous cars had CarPlay, so you don’t miss what you've never used.

Reactions: Jules22 and moa999
The problem with Tesla's approach is that with a closed system, your users are never going to be able to benefit from third party developers, who often (if not always) create superior products to what you can offer in house.

I'm a broken record, so here I go again: Tesla should open source all of their software - or at the very least, the non-safety critical parts of it. There's no reason we can't completely customise anything that's on the MCU other than Tesla's misguided approach of thinking they can do it better. They can't. And they aren't.

Reactions: positiv
FYI, for those with iPhones, you can use Waze for speed camera warning without using it for navigation.

1. Setup Waze for alerts only and play sound via Bluetooth phone call.

1707004590094.jpeg

2. Setup an Automation shortcut to start Waze as soon as the phone Bluetooth connects to the car.

1707004770569.jpeg1707004841258.jpeg

If there is any alert such as speed cameras or even stopped cars, it will pause whatever is playing in the car and give you the alert via a Bluetooth phone call.

Attachments

• 1707004742297.jpeg
    1707004742297.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 17
Now that is extremely useful! I use waze on long drives only because I usually forget to open it. And I was not aware that alerts could be played as BT phonecalls! nice! Now if only all cameras triggered an alert... for some reason only about half the cameras in Oz give me an alert. I've always wondered whether waze might have fallen afoul of some laws here preventing them from alerting drivers?

I tried the Waze alerts although you still need to remember to start Waze when you get in the car. Yes done on long drives.
I love the Waze alerts to be blended into Tesla Nav for sure.

Although I finding the routing on Tesla to be stupid at times. Map updates are slow for road updates.

I also do wonder if the routing it thinks we are LHD cars in the US.
Often on a right turn it wants you to avoid traffic lights going via side streets.
Turning right from a side street across lanes of traffic instead of using the lights 200m before hand not so smart
If it was turn right in US makes more sense.

Not likely. The thing to consider is that Android Auto and Apple Carplay are not features themselves, they are systems that allow access to other features. Other automakers ceded this to Apple/Google because the automakers don’t have the experience or resources to do so (including maintaining apps/software on an ongoing basis).

Tesla does

Disagree. Tesla's maps are pretty bare bones and their overall app support is terrible. I use a cradle holding a phone that runs Waze. Its navigation runs rings around Teslas poor efforts. Tesla doesn't even have a plugshare app.

I honestly think Tesla would be better off handing over to Carplay/Android Auto and redirecting their programming efforts to the actual driving experience. We need real working auto wipers, auto headlights, self parking and the FSD that they promised.

Better accuracy when allowing access to the car. I think it will only allow the car to unlock if the phone is moving. Better security as thieves can’t open it if your near and not moving phone.

If I am on holidays and my car is parked right outside my room or holiday house, I turn Bluetooth off in my phone overnight to deal with this minor risk. Another option some people like is PIN to drive.