Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean I got a new UMC in 2022. The tail says 10/10 and 15/15 on it respectively, but it only ever draws 8A or 13A respectively. So I'm assuming that can be upgraded. Unless that's a model 3/Y thing only?
Below is the UMC (2) update thread, if you’re not using your UMC regularly to charge your car it may not have had an opportunity to update. Try some of the techniques in the thread or contact Tesla to get your UMC tails updated.

I mean I got a new UMC in 2022. The tail says 10/10 and 15/15 on it respectively, but it only ever draws 8A or 13A respectively. So I'm assuming that can be upgraded. Unless that's a model 3/Y thing only?
In my experience your car has to be connected to wifi at the time you try to get the UMC updated. I don't have wifi in the garage so had to run a long cat6 cable out of the house and put a wifi router there to make this happen. It stubbornly refused to update the UMC settings without wifi handy even though I qualified with the right tails and right car software version and followed the process others have documented here. Just what I found anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic
In my experience your car has to be connected to wifi at the time you try to get the UMC updated. I don't have wifi in the garage so had to run a long cat6 cable out of the house and put a wifi router there to make this happen. It stubbornly refused to update the UMC settings without wifi handy even though I qualified with the right tails and right car software version and followed the process others have documented here. Just what I found anyway.
Any and all software updates require wifi, unfortunately.

Allegedly “safety critical” software updates will be downloaded over cellular, even if you don’t have Premium Connectivity, and the car never connects to WiFi. I have no idea if any Tesla update in the past has been deemed “safety critical” and pushed out to all cars regardless of connectivity.

• Informative
Reactions: elddum
I have occasionally tethered my car to my phone hotspot if away from home and want to apply update. It might work for UMC update also.

Yes I know that but I think that when you are finishing a charging cycle and have all the prerequisites in place (coreect car software, charging finished, unplug replug, blah blah and all that process) you still won't get the UMC updated unless at that time your car is connected to wifi. Which in general mine was not and it frustrated the heck out of me. My conclusion was that the necessary software fix was not included in the car software version, but that it could detect that one was possible but had to get it from Tesla server on the fly. This is my experience that's all I can say. Ran the cable and router out again after not changing anything else and finally it worked. I just offer this for those having ongoing problems, hope it fixes it for some.

Last edited:
I have occasionally tethered my car to my phone hotspot if away from home and want to apply update. It might work for UMC update also.
I cannot get my Model Y to get a software update via an Apple iphone 7 hotspot. Tried this a few times and just get an error. Have gigs and gigs of data on phone plan so it is very annoying. If there is a trick to it I'd love to know? Since I don't have wifi in the garage that would have been trying to use mobile data on the phone, not wifi data.

On my Model Y performance, I have noticed with 2024.8.4 that when Set Speed is set to speed limit, it seems to set to current speed when you activate autopilot. (ie road speed limit 60, my speed 64, Autopilot speed is set to 64) Previous behavior was it would do what it said and would set to speed limit. I've tried toggling between current speed an speed limit and behavior is the same. Is it just me? Be warned.. Don't get a speeding ticket if you are used to the old (correct) behavior

I updated the tails successfully by connecting to my phone hotspot. I tried unsuccessfuly to update with home wifi.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
On my Model Y performance, I have noticed with 2024.8.4 that when Set Speed is set to speed limit, it seems to set to current speed when you activate autopilot
I think If you are above the set speed including any offset, activation of TACC will maintain Current speed not set speed if current speed is above set speed + offset

Last edited:
Reactions: elddum and dronus