Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have owned my Model 3 LR since August 2022. I am on 2024.2.7 and I still can't get used to the the way TACC works. On my last 10km trips it slowed down (gently) 10km/h 4 times for cars in normal driving situations and had one hard phantom braking incident. I have detection set to late, but the AI still wants to intervene way to much for my liking and slow down when passing cars in the left lane etc. Is there a way to make it less sensitive that I am missing? Hasn't improved in the last 18 months, is it better with 2024.8.4?

Also, it also slows down when approaching a roundabout way to early and slows itself on bends on country roads.
Mercedes call this "Route Based Speed Adaption" and let you set it to "Off", can I turn this off with TACC?

Thanks for any insights.

Reactions: JonDarian
I think If you are above the set speed including any offset, activation of TACC will maintain Current speed not set speed if current speed is above set speed + offset
I can confirm you are 100% correct and I’m still on the older software.

If you are currently under the speed limit and activate TACC it sets to speed limit.

If you are over and activate it it sets to current speed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Maximillan
Hi, I have owned my Model 3 LR since August 2022. I am on 2024.2.7 and I still can't get used to the the way TACC works. On my last 10km trips it slowed down (gently) 10km/h 4 times for cars in normal driving situations and had one hard phantom braking incident. I have detection set to late, but the AI still wants to intervene way to much for my liking and slow down when passing cars in the left lane etc. Is there a way to make it less sensitive that I am missing? Hasn't improved in the last 18 months, is it better with 2024.8.4?

Also, it also slows down when approaching a roundabout way to early and slows itself on bends on country roads.
Mercedes call this "Route Based Speed Adaption" and let you set it to "Off", can I turn this off with TACC?

Thanks for any insights.
I notice this too, especially if a car crosses in front of you, like ages away the car brakes aggressively but in reality you could have maintained speed.

Reactions: elddum and Jules22

Thanks for any insights.
My car performs in exactly the same way. I've noticed that I'm now driving around the shortcomings.
You can't turn it off with Tesla, their approach is that they know better than the driver.

I cannot get my Model Y to get a software update via an Apple iphone 7 hotspot. Tried this a few times and just get an error. Have gigs and gigs of data on phone plan so it is very annoying. If there is a trick to it I'd love to know? Since I don't have wifi in the garage that would have been trying to use mobile data on the phone, not wifi data.
I think the car does a connection/ speed test before it tries for the update, so if signal is not that great that could be the problem?

What does the error say? That might help us offer some suggestions.

iPhone 7 is also a bit old, so its network (cellular data) and wifi are not that great compared to current models. Do you have a more recent phone (family or friend) you could try? Also, if the phone is inside the car, that will limit the cellular signal strength, so putting the phone near (but outside) the car in the best position for signal might help.

My suggestion though is to get wifi to your garage if possible. I got a wifi extender off gumtree for $30 that did the trick for me.

I still can't get used to the the way TACC works.

It’s not just you. I only ever use TACC on divided highways. Even then phantom braking events occur a bit too often.

So you either turn it off and have no cruise control at all, and risk speeding tickets, or you have it on and always have your foot over the accelerator pedal ready to react to any phantom braking event and hope no-one rear ends you.

It’s not just you. I only ever use TACC on divided highways. Even then phantom braking events occur a bit too often.

So you either turn it off and have no cruise control at all, and risk speeding tickets, or you have it on and always have your foot over the accelerator pedal ready to react to any phantom braking event and hope no-one rear ends you.
I agree.
I was recently driving a new land cruiser and its TACC isn’t much better. In fact I’d say Tesla is better.

Yes I know that but I think that when you are finishing a charging cycle and have all the prerequisites in place (coreect car software, charging finished, unplug replug, blah blah and all that process) you still won't get the UMC updated unless at that time your car is connected to wifi. Which in general mine was not and it frustrated the heck out of me. My conclusion was that the necessary software fix was not included in the car software version, but that it could detect that one was possible but had to get it from Tesla server on the fly. This is my experience that's all I can say. Ran the cable and router out again after not changing anything else and finally it worked. I just offer this for those having ongoing problems, hope it fixes it for some.
I've successfully updated two UMCs without a wifi connection active at the time.

The UMC update package is included within the car firmware, it isn't downloaded at the time the UMC update happens.