Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1000081920.jpg

Got the new update notification in app, installing now before morning drive to office

I don't know why people think they can force an update by doing this or that. Apart from ensuring an adequate Wifi connection, any "success" with various tricks to get an update is merely a coincidence. The updates are entirely controlled from Tesla's end.

Re indicator auto cancel: it's working as usual for me.
This post needs to be a sticky.

I don't know why people think they can force an update by doing this or that. Apart from ensuring an adequate Wifi connection, any "success" with various tricks to get an update is merely a coincidence. The updates are entirely controlled from Tesla's end.

Re indicator auto cancel: it's working as usual for me.
Isn’t “having an adequate wifi connection” part of “doing this or that”

I have never had an update connected to my wifi at home to an Optus NBN connection.

When updates are available I have waited either weeks or hours, but as soon as I connect to my Telstra hotspot I get offered the available update. This “coincidence “ has happened for every update, which would be quite the coincidence if it is.

I’m not saying that it forces an update, annd definately agree Tesla are initiating the updates, but if I waited for updates on my wifi I might be waiting forever.

There is nothing special with my home internet, it’s just an Optus home NBN with their modem, full signal strength.
Others might be in the same boat..

Last edited:
Reactions: Jules22
Isn’t “having an adequate wifi connection” part of “doing this or that”

I have never had an update connected to my wifi at home to an Optus NBN connection.

When updates are available I have waited either weeks or hours, but as soon as I connect to my Telstra hotspot I get offered the available update. This “coincidence “ has happened for every update, which would be quite the coincidence if it is.

I’m not saying that it forces an update, annd definately agree Tesla are initiating the updates, but if I waited for updates on my wifi I might be waiting forever.

There is nothing special with my home internet, it’s just an Optus home NBN with their modem, full signal strength.
Others might be in the same boat..
As stated before Tesla updates are fully controlled by Tesla.

You can get a notification that an update is available to your car while on the road without any connection to wifi. Some updates when made available are notified to the car through LTE connection but require and request wifi to download (I suspect those are considered critical updates or part of a recall).

Other updates (possibly not as critical ones) appear to check in when the car is connected to wifi. With that it may need a good wifi and at some update levels the car wifi works better than at other update levels, so sometimes changing the connections between SSID-s resets the connection and may trigger an update check, other times rebooting the car may trigger it, but no matter what you do, if Tesla has not made one available for your car, it will not appear for you. I do not believe tesla is monitoring your car cameras to see if you do the right update dance around the car to push it for you, so all activities around car are unlikely to have any effect on the availability of updates.
Also important note is that the button between standard and advanced updates is a placebo button, not connected to anything and does not affect any aspect of updates.

Today was the first time I used the wiper because it was drizzling in Melbourne. However, my wiper was not working in Auto mode, so I had to choose the wiper mode manually. Any help would be appreciated. Also my car now running in latest SW 2024.14.9

As stated before Tesla updates are fully controlled by Tesla.

You can get a notification that an update is available to your car while on the road without any connection to wifi. Some updates when made available are notified to the car through LTE connection but require and request wifi to download (I suspect those are considered critical updates or part of a recall).

Other updates (possibly not as critical ones) appear to check in when the car is connected to wifi. With that it may need a good wifi and at some update levels the car wifi works better than at other update levels, so sometimes changing the connections between SSID-s resets the connection and may trigger an update check, other times rebooting the car may trigger it, but no matter what you do, if Tesla has not made one available for your car, it will not appear for you. I do not believe tesla is monitoring your car cameras to see if you do the right update dance around the car to push it for you, so all activities around car are unlikely to have any effect on the availability of updates.
Also important note is that the button between standard and advanced updates is a placebo button, not connected to anything and does not affect any aspect of updates.
No one is doubting that the updates are being controlled by Tesla.

I’ve double checked and I’m pretty sure my posts define Tesla and Telstra as two different things.

No one has suggested that an update can be pushed to your car if Tesla hasn’t made it available.

I must have a weird car that has never had a notification that it has an update available unless I am hot spotted to a Telstra phone.

Someone can send you a letter, but unless you check your mailbox it’s unlikely you’ll be able to read it.

Unless there is an uncanny coincidence that occurs exactly at the same time that (when an update is pending) when I hot spot the car to the Telstra service and it notifies of an update, I’m obviously missing something.

just an Optus home NBN with their modem
I still reckon there is a setting of sorts in your router config that is blocking part of the conversation your M3 is having with the mothership. Switching to your mobile hotspot (which just happens to be with Telstra) does two things:
1) bypasses whatever in your setup might be blocking
2) potential (my hypothesis only) your M3 by connecting to a new network forces a recheck for updates (in a similar way a full reboot can) so it appears immediately.

Can you try your home wifi using a totally different router (different brand but use the same network name/SSID?) A big ask, but if you can that’s what I would try to eliminate that as the source. If you were local I’d offer to drop by and help… but it’s a good couple of days drive!

I must have a weird car that has never had a notification that it has an update available unless I am hot spotted to a Telstra phone.
I suspect you must have been rather unlucky then. Over the 5 years for me, I have had probably about 1/3 of all the updates that show up when I am at work and not connected to any wifi with a rather poor LTE connection (1 out of 5 bars on connection) at work car park. They just show up on the car and in the app with a message that update is available, please connect the car to wifi to download.

No, I really doubt that you have a weird car.
Much more likely that you have a port blocked in your router or the ISP (Optus) is blocking a port.
Or, as others have pointed out, something else strange in your home network.
Still, if you can get around it with your phone then that's something.

The problem is still there. I rebooted the touch screen computer a few minutes ago. Not game to try the Factory Reset.:mad:
I have not had that issue a long time now, but about 4-5 years ago I had an issue with the sentry mode draining battery at home and I noticed that when I changed the setting while the car was in the garage it did not actually apply. The way I got around that was, I drove to work, changed the setting for home to exclude sentry mode and then drove back home, then it appeared to apply.
So for some reason while I was at the location it would not exclude it when changed setting, but when I was at a different location when doing the change it appeared to wok when arriving to that location after making the change. Could be something similar for you?

All of the updates get notified through the LTE connection. The only time my car is usually on WiFi is because an update has been notified over LTE and I turn on the hot spot for it.

Reactions: jason66
Took a drive on 14.8 today through the M8 & M4 and all I can say is that is not a safe place to use TAAC or Autosteer. I have used that location with Autosteer before and have never experienced anything like this.

Multiple aggressive phantom braking incidents (not just regen), uncommanded changes to TAAC speed without speed limit sign changes (TAAC speed dropping below displayed road speed limit), eventually the car decided it was no longer in a tunnel and was on the streets above. This cause it to begin braking every time it thought it was coming up to an intersection, even though none were there. Even when out of the tunnel and with full GPS again, the car was not in a good place and was trying to phantom brake every few hundred meters, felt jittery/jerky with steering commands, at one point it even drifted close to a truck in neighbouring lane. Needless to say I had to intervene numerous times with either the accelerator eventually felt too unsafe so turned it off.

Was quite terrifying how sudden the inputs were and very disconcerting with how poorly it handled it all. Any tips on how to report this kind of behaviour to Tesla for them to look into?