Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Version 10.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far, I doubt anyone is really ready to just get in and trust their Tesla to drive - I've had it miss far too many cars in my blindspot.

Heck, it still cannot operate windshield wipers. Frankly, I don't think FSD is ever going to come, until its in the form of something like HOV lanes, with special markers, meant for cars to communicate with/there's a method for a cars to communicate with one another, which is protected from hacking. We could do that now, if the market wanted it. I don't see it working otherwise.

Reactions: afadeev
So far, I doubt anyone is really ready to just get in and trust their Tesla to drive - I've had it miss far too many cars in my blindspot.

Heck, it still cannot operate windshield wipers. Frankly, I don't think FSD is ever going to come, until its in the form of something like HOV lanes, with special markers, meant for cars to communicate with/there's a method for a cars to communicate with one another, which is protected from hacking. We could do that now, if the market wanted it. I don't see it working otherwise.

Time will tell. I really hope Tesla figures it out. I think it would be a good thing for society. But it’s an incredibly complex problem to solve 100%. People spend too much time arguing FSD here. Gets old.

Reactions: Thp3
Time will tell. I really hope Tesla figures it out. I think it would be a good thing for society. But it’s an incredibly complex problem to solve 100%. People spend too much time arguing FSD here. Gets old.

Agreed, and it I sure does (get old). In the mean time, while Tesla tries to figure it out, to where it’s reliable/dependable, it would be nice to have some of the other safety basics offered by just about every other luxury (and non luxury) brands.

Last edited:
Yep.
But you probably also realize that even 1% error rate may be way too high for true autonomous driving (FSD branded, or not). Depending on the situation, you may want <0.01% error rate (e.g.: correctly detecting and stopping at red lights), which is a ridiculously high engineering reliability bar for which to aim.

SAE L1-5 definitions are bureaucratic meaningless BS.
No automaker is developing to L#. Sales people may be selling to L#s, but engineers develop features.

Tesla, like all OEMs, is developing features that either work well, or not so well, yet.
And then they keep improving them. Step by step.

Whether or not those features add up to some bureaucrat's definition of an L#, is only interesting to sales people and consultants.

I am pretty sure that Tesla lacks the hardware (not just software) for rear cross traffic alerts, rear emergency braking, and infrared forward night vision. Never mind Lidar.

Elon thinks those are unnecessary.
May be he is right, may be he is wrong.
The only way to find out is by observing how well those "interim" alert features cover those capability gaps. However buggy and annoying, having those alerts (that you can, hopefully, turn off) indicates progress towards FSD goals.

Lack of alerts indicates lack of feature development progress.

Judging by past features reliability and hilarious Warnings and Disclaimers in Model 3 manual (LKAS, ACC, etc), I have ZERO trust in Tesla's ability to stop for red lights correctly with greater than 99% success rate.

The downside of not stopping for a red light is severe (accident with major injuries, if not deaths), so there is no way in hell I would blindly "trust" Tesla to get it right for my family.

Either those red-light alerts are displayed reliably in advance (visual indicators, beeps, seat / steering wheel vibration, whatever), or Elon can train the NN on his own family, friends, and employees.

They won't be risking the lives of mine, that's for certain!

a

I agree I don’t think Tesla has the hardware for rear crosspath either. But I think they could do a whole lot more with what they do have. I think that they could be 80% as effective. Problem is the side cameras that point rearward are to far forward and can still be blocked. Where as typical rear cross path systems have radar in the rear two corners for optimal “viewing”. I think rear cross path could be implemented with cameras and ultra Sonics but the camera’s are not in the best location for it. But still in a better position than the driver is.

They really really should have some sort of radar in the rear. For many reasons.

Even a “stitched” panoramic rear view of the 3 rearward cameras for the back up camera could go a long ways.

I agree I don’t think Tesla has the hardware for rear crosspath either. But I think they could do a whole lot more with what they do have. I think that they could be 80% as effective. Problem is the side cameras that point rearward are to far forward and can still be blocked. Where as typical rear cross path systems have radar in the rear two corners for optimal “viewing”. I think rear cross path could be implemented with cameras and ultra Sonics but the camera’s are not in the best location for it. But still in a better position than the driver is.

They really really should have some sort of radar in the rear. For many reasons.

Agreed. For the life of me (other than cost savings), I don't see why Tesla would not provide this basic safety function. Autopilot doesn't function in reverse, so that's not a viable argument for not including it either. I don't consider "Summon" an acceptable alternative for this, either.

Agreed. For the life of me (other than cost savings), I don't see why Tesla would not provide this basic safety function. Autopilot doesn't function in reverse, so that's not a viable argument for not including it either. I don't consider "Summon" an acceptable alternative for this, either.

And you’d think Summon could use it as well.

Reactions: jebinc
Agreed. For the life of me (other than cost savings), I don't see why Tesla would not provide this basic safety function. Autopilot doesn't function in reverse.

Auto park does.

Which is why they would see it as useless.

The car parks itself rear-inward- so it would never need rear cross-traffic since it never pulls out of a perp. parking spot backward.

Which will be awkward with diagonal "one way" spaces that aren't meant to back into.

Not really... diagonal spots don't have the same issues... the backup camera has vastly better visibility in that situation and it generally is backing up at much less of an angle into one-way traffic instead of relatively blindly into parallel 2 way traffic.

I don't see an 'AP design flaw' when it comes to angled parking spots. The car will just pull straight in. When it comes to backing up, the rear camera has ideal line-of-sight into the lane it is backing into, and the front fender and b-pillar cameras have line-of-site into the opposite lane after the car has backed out half-way or so.

The way I see it, the car has better line-of-sight backing out of an angled spot than it does trying to pull out, nose-first, from a perpendicular spot.