Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about those with a 60 kWh battery pack? Why not lobby for a 3rd supercharger even though that would end up with superchargers in different locations?

They will eventually fill in with a supercharger in Georgia and one in southern NC. That will be at comfortable distances for the 60kWh battery pack. With Tesla's attention diverted to the push for Elon Musk's trip across the U.S., I'm pleading to have at least these two superchargers (Charleston, SC & Jacksonville, FL) before winter holiday break.

241 miles is too great a distance. I have a P85 with the Michelin tires. No matter how hard I try, I can only get a little more than 200 miles to a range charge (when fully charged, it indicates 259-261 miles range, but I only get about 210 actual miles). And this is with the HVAC OFF and the range driving mode set to ON, and not going more than 6, 7 miles over the posted speed limit (which means I have to stay in the right lane, as every other car passes me on the road).

I have been in touch with Tesla regarding a road trip from DC to AZ, and have been told several times to plan on charging every 175 miles.

I regularly make it from my house in Pagosa to the Supercharger Silverthorne, CO and back which is 237 miles over 3 mountain passes (Fremont, Poncha, and Wolf Creek). One time with 20-30 mph headwinds, I arrived with 0 miles left, but usually arrive with 15-25 miles left in the pack in my P85, and that would be more if I didn't pick up the pace when I knew I could make it to the end. A range charge for me is usually 260-263. There are two big differences that help me. First I drive VERY conservatively until I know I can make the goal by driving the speed limit or 55 mph, whichever is less. The second big difference is that my average altitude on the drive is about 8,000 feet. The air that I drive through at 8,000 feet is about 25% less dense than sea level air. Because effective (indicated for pilots) airspeed scales as the square root of air density, that means 55 mph for me produces the same aerodynamic drag as 48 mph at sea level.

This kind of driving takes patience, which is why I'm working on a 70 Amp J1772 in Salida, CO, for a break and top-off about 2/3 of the way from Pagosa to Silverthorne. I can't be patient for too much longer..... :wink:

IThis kind of driving takes patience, which is why I'm working on a 70 Amp J1772 in Salida, CO, for a break and top-off about 2/3 of the way from Pagosa to Silverthorne. I can't be patient for too much longer..... :wink:
You own Sig#37 - I'd take this as a sign that you signed a loooooong time before you got your car. So my guess is patience is one of your strengths after all :)

Supercharger Maps with 100 and 70 Mile Ranges

These are some Photoshopped maps with yellow 100 mile range circles and green 70 mile circles which seem like reasonable worst cast (bad weather, not direct routes, etc.) distances for round trips without recharging with 85 kWh and 60 kWh batteries.
The white 200 mile circles are still there. I'd done an earlier version of this with just the full buildout, these are for each time period on the Tesla map site.

October 2013
October-2013.jpg

Fall 2013
Fall-2013.jpg

Winter 2013
Winter-2013.jpg

2014.jpg

2915.jpg

After 2015
After-2015.jpg

Last edited:
Administrator: I am getting invalid links

Seems corrected.

- - - Updated - - -

These are some Photoshopped maps with yellow 100 mile range circles and green 70 mile circles which seem like reasonable worst cast (bad weather, not direct routes, etc.) distances for round trips without recharging with 85 kWh and 60 kWh batteries.
The white 200 mile circles are still there. I'd done an earlier version of this with just the full buildout, these are for each time period on the Tesla map site.

What is the significance of the different colored dots ?

What is the significance of the different colored dots ?

The red ones are the ones promised to be available as of the map date, the gray ones are for the ones promised "real soon now" after the map date. I just put circles around the red ones except for the last map where I did both red and gray as that's the full buildout as now planned.

The maps are from the Tesla site and that's how they are shown. The gray ones in particular may be tinted a bit because of the color overlays.

I've always found the circle approach to be misleading. The issue is that you have two superchargers that are 200 miles apart. You overlay 150 mile radius circles on them. It looks like a continuous corridor of green between the circles but you can't drive between them with a 150 mile range limit. Now, it's fairly obvious when it's a single line of superchargers (for example, between the NC and VA and DE superchargers). It's more challenging when they are blobbed together. Wish I had a recommended solution, though.

I've always found the circle approach to be misleading. The issue is that you have two superchargers that are 200 miles apart. You overlay 150 mile radius circles on them. It looks like a continuous corridor of green between the circles but you can't drive between them with a 150 mile range limit. Now, it's fairly obvious when it's a single line of superchargers (for example, between the NC and VA and DE superchargers). It's more challenging when they are blobbed together. Wish I had a recommended solution, though.
Just so, that's why I used the shorter ranges. If you assume a 200 mile range, look at the 100 mile circles; if they overlap you're OK, if not, you won't make it.

There's also the problem that roads don't run in straight lines between points. It would be a lot better if the maps followed the roads, but the idea is to just present an approximation and that' another argument for the shorter ranges shown.

Nice maps! Tesla understandably would prefer to make it look better by using a 200mi radius, but I feel like 100mi is more useful, because then all overlaps can be considered viable paths, perhaps even with as little as ~80-85% charge in an 85kWh Model S (YMMV).

I also like this site, which has an adjustable slider for distance, but doesn't plot any of the upcoming/future supercharger locations.

At the Crissy Field Supercharger event the Tesla reps said Vacaville and Roseville Superchargers will be up soon.

- - - Updated - - -

At the Crissy Field Supercharger Event the Tesla reps said the overall Supercharger priorities are to finish the East Coast Network and then the "Musk road trip" across the U.S. They even named the stops along the way for the road trip (e.g. Mt Rushmore).

...more from "The Drive Free" event this morning in San Francisco. I learned that Quartzite AZ supercharger is under construction from Tesla representatives at the "Drive Free" event in San Francisco CA. They stated that Yuma AZ will begin construction shortly thereafter. Tesla has over 100 supercharging sites they are actively and aggressively working on, each with 6 to 10 contact points; planning departments, permits, power availability, utilities, lease agreements, traffic analysis, public safety, amenities nearby, property owners, signage, construction crews, lighting, logistics, website integration.. and more. They stressed that they are moving as fast as they can with the Supercharger roll out. Northern routes may be slightly delayed by winter weather in some locations so crew may concentrate on southern areas during winter. I-95 corridor is a high priority.
They are humble as well, stating that without Tesla Roadster and Model S owners, none of this would be possible! They are working on the Plant and all the changes necessary to continue to modernize, New Service Centers, Supercharger(s) roll out, Drive free events, Model S deliveries, Model X finalization... and more! ..they're busy!!!
They take our suggestions seriously, from supercharger location suggestions to design ideas changes/additions, to software in MS-MX and stated, with excitement, that many new features will be in each new software update. Our suggestions make them a better company!

I regularly make it from my house in Pagosa to the Supercharger Silverthorne, CO and back which is 237 miles over 3 mountain passes (Fremont, Poncha, and Wolf Creek). One time with 20-30 mph headwinds, I arrived with 0 miles left, but usually arrive with 15-25 miles left in the pack in my P85, and that would be more if I didn't pick up the pace when I knew I could make it to the end. A range charge for me is usually 260-263. There are two big differences that help me. First I drive VERY conservatively until I know I can make the goal by driving the speed limit or 55 mph, whichever is less. The second big difference is that my average altitude on the drive is about 8,000 feet. The air that I drive through at 8,000 feet is about 25% less dense than sea level air. Because effective (indicated for pilots) airspeed scales as the square root of air density, that means 55 mph for me produces the same aerodynamic drag as 48 mph at sea level.

This kind of driving takes patience, which is why I'm working on a 70 Amp J1772 in Salida, CO, for a break and top-off about 2/3 of the way from Pagosa to Silverthorne. I can't be patient for too much longer..... :wink:

How fast were you able to charge at the Silverthorne Supercharger today? Able to 1/2 your charge time on 5.6?