Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maintaining terminal velocity, no energy can be gained by regen; by definition, it's all lost to drag. If you want to put energy into the battery pack, you'll need to maintain a speed reasonably below terminal velocity. I think the best energy maximization strategy is to maintain a comparatively slow speed for most of the downhill, then back off on the regen and speed up near the bottom.

Of course, some of us need regen to keep from flying off the mountain. This is a particular point of frustration with my LEAF right now, as it seems to be limiting regen more than necessary on my 4900' descents. Looking forward to eventually getting into a Tesla (S or X with AWD) with better regen...

I know the feeling! My house is at almost the exact same elevation (6000' for me). If I let it coast, I'd end up doing about 100mph on my way to the LA basin area. Considering how twisty some parts of the road are, that wouldn't be a good idea. What I've been trying to work out is whether it's better to go, say, 70mph and get more regen (on the straight parts of course) or slower and get a lower regen rate. I really need to do the math on the two.

spectacular map failure

Shows a quite spectacular map failure:

Capture.PNG

I know the feeling! My house is at almost the exact same elevation (6000' for me). If I let it coast, I'd end up doing about 100mph on my way to the LA basin area. Considering how twisty some parts of the road are, that wouldn't be a good idea. What I've been trying to work out is whether it's better to go, say, 70mph and get more regen (on the straight parts of course) or slower and get a lower regen rate. I really need to do the math on the two.
Assuming the regen is at least linear with speed, that is there's not an increase in generator efficiency at high speed, then I'd think that the the more regen and hence the slower you went the better.

There's a fixed amount of potential energy available from the loss of altitude, Mass x Height x Gravity's Acceleration, so the question is just where does the energy go. If you don't use the brakes, the energy loss is mostly air resistance, rolling resistance, and regen. Rolling resistance doesn't vary much with speed, but air resistance goes up with the square of the speed, so my guess is that the best strategy from the standpoint of maximizing charge is use as much regen as possible and go as slow as you can stand.

That would mean pretty slow speeds though, so to be practical, I'd suggest something like stay below 50 or so using just regen to control speed. Below 50, the air resistance is still reasonable, but because of the square law, the loss to air resistance starts getting pretty bad as you go much faster. At 70 almost twice as much energy will be lost to air resistance as at 50 (490 vs 250). Because of regen losses though, if you want to be going faster at the bottom, as abasile said, speeding up by backing off regen seems like a better strategy than using the motor.

Assuming the regen is at least linear with speed, that is there's not an increase in generator efficiency at high speed, then I'd think that the the more regen and hence the slower you went the better.

There's a fixed amount of potential energy available from the loss of altitude, Mass x Height x Gravity's Acceleration, so the question is just where does the energy go. If you don't use the brakes, the energy loss is mostly air resistance, rolling resistance, and regen. Rolling resistance doesn't vary much with speed, but air resistance goes up with the square of the speed, so my guess is that the best strategy from the standpoint of maximizing charge is use as much regen as possible and go as slow as you can stand.

That would mean pretty slow speeds though, so to be practical, I'd suggest something like stay below 50 or so using just regen to control speed. Below 50, the air resistance is still reasonable, but because of the square law, the loss to air resistance starts getting pretty bad as you go much faster. At 70 almost twice as much energy will be lost to air resistance as at 50 (490 vs 250). Because of regen losses though, if you want to be going faster at the bottom, as abasile said, speeding up by backing off regen seems like a better strategy than using the motor.

Hear! Hear!

Very well said.

As they say, it all depends.

Transfers of energy from potential to kinetic and back are lossless, and it costs about 10% in losses to put energy into the battery and another 10% to take it back out for a net 19% loss; we will round that to 20% in our gross, hand-waving level of precision. The penalty for speeding up on down hills and using that kinetic energy on up hills is that you are traveling for some period of time at a faster speed and losing extra energy to aerodynamic drag. There are many losses for the MS, but the part that goes to pushing all of that air out of the way (aerodynamic drag) scales with the square of velocity.

Something about your statement just didn't quite seem right, and then I noted -- you're saying regen is 90% efficient! A little googling and I saw things like:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13584 http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?740-What-is-efficiency-of-regenerative-braking (see 2nd post)
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...3-tesla-model-s-the-good-the-bad-at-600-miles (2nd page) and http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/coasting-possible (I knew I had read discussion on this subject somwhere). No where did I see anything suggesting 90% efficiency, which I would find really hard to believe.

Could you illuminate us where the 10% number comes from?

My recent experience going down an incline was this: started from the Tejon Ranch SC with 182 miles heading for the Hawthorne SC 91 miles away. Going up the initial incline (5% grade) at 65 mph cost 802 Wh/mile or so but, I sustained 65-75 mph over the rest of the Grapevine while feathering the pedal to maintain the regen at 15-20 kW most of the time downhill.

Got to Hawthorne with 80-odd miles to spare and a sub-300 Wh/mile average (don't remember the exact figures). Was a bit wary of this stretch before the trip but, did it with a degree of comfort. Was fun to be passed by several cars on the climbs and catching up with them later downhill while their brakes were blazing ;)

Got to Hawthorne too late to enter the lobby (closes at 6 pm on weekends) but, caught a glimpse of the SC usage dashboard alongside the Model X prototype.

Will probably return tomorrow before heading out to Palm Springs. Speaking of which (and off-topic), has anyone figured out a relatively optimal way to get from Palm Springs to Tejon Ranch without doglegging through Hawthorne? The distance, at exactly 203 miles, is beyond my 60's capability for sure, but, was wondering if there's a decent charging option through San Bernardino...