Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just in: Cheyenne goes live!

Cheyenne, WY Supercharger - Page 9

given this, I would say it's possible, as of today, with some hypermiling in places, to drive across the US on a fast charging network for the first time in history! I suggest we celebrate this fact, as from what I know of how difficult it is to get stations near adequate electrical supply scouted out, go painstakingly through the process of finding willing businesses, negotiating contracts, dealing with all the minutia of local zoning codes etc, etc, this marks a huge milestone for Tesla and the EV community.

May I suggest that Tesla could use a little Love as of late and that everyone who is compelled should send a congratulatory note to the Tesla team for this amazing accomplishment. They have so much on their hands and so many little and sometimes big crisis to sort through that historical moments like this can too easily get lost. I'm sure some good vibes from all of us would feel really good right about now!

Congratulations Tesla!!!

I suggested that Tesla explain that SC are not parking spots but refueling locations. Gas pumps do not require handicap access from the pumps

This sounds very familiar
icon7.gif

Here is the note I just sent:
"The Cheyenne WY Super Charger, the Golden Spike Of Our Times!

I just wanted to give a shout out and say congratulations to everyone at Tesla, especially to the Super Charging Team for accomplishing the impossible! As far as I'm concerned you folks have made history, on par with the placing of the Golden Spike!! With the opening of the Cheyenne, WY supercharger it is now technically possible for a 85kW S to travel, with some hypermiling, from coast to coast. I've been involved in the EV community of the Northwest and witnessed how difficult it is to get even a few quick chargers put in, and somehow you all have done this in record time on a much larger scale than ever attempted. As an owner of an S and investor in TSLA, I have to say I am very impressed and very grateful and thought it was high time I expressed my gratitude and awe.

Thanks so much and keep up the good work!"

Cheyenne is not the "Golden Spike." You cannot make it from Barstow or Quartzsite to Flagstaff, even with hypermiling. It's 265 miles from Quartzsite and 356 from Barstow, and uphill from each one.

You can maybe go from East coast to West, but you aren't making it back home without Kingman.

Edit: Actually even EVTripper says you aren't making it from Flagstaff to Quartzsite unless you have ideal conditions, a range charge, and a tailwind.

Last edited:
Cheyenne is not the "Golden Spike." You cannot make it from Barstow or Quartzsite to Flagstaff, even with hypermiling. It's 265 miles from Quartzsite and 356 from Barstow, and uphill from each one.

You can maybe go from East coast to West, but you aren't making it back home without Kingman.

Edit: Actually even EVTripper says you aren't making it from Flagstaff to Quartzsite unless you have ideal conditions, a range charge, and a tailwind.
And your point is? Kingman is minutes away from opening!

And your point is? Kingman is minutes away from opening!

Weird. I thought my point was pretty clear. Cheyenne isn't the golden spike. That was my point. It's still, as of now, not possible. How many minutes away are we?

If somebody starts from the East Coast right now, Kingman may very well be open by the time they get there. If I start from my house right now, I doubt it will be.

Feel free to hold back your excitement another day or two if you like... I'm not holding back, this is huge! I'm pretty sure I can do over 265 miles with elevation in the 85 S, going very slow with a warm battery. we've done crazier things in the Nissan Leaf, going 35 mph to get over mountain passes. In any case, I think Cheyenne is the better location for a golden spike "monument".

Different folks are going to come to declare this a done deal at different points, depending on what they consider reasonably possible. some will wait till the 60 can do it to declare victory, some will wait till every single station is installed. Whatever your metric, Tesla has proven it's going to be achieved if it hasn't been already.

TESLA has succeeded, IMHO!

Eastern Tennessee is in range, but I'm not sure where exactly the timezone barrier is, and I did mention Kentucky.
Eastern Tennessee is in range? I live in Chattanooga and the Eastern Time Zone is just west of town. A supercharger might be in range if I were to drive with a 70 mile per hour tail wind and I had a sail!:rolleyes: Knoxville is also out of range. But yes, you did mention Kentucky. Sorry.

Eastern Tennessee is in range? I live in Chattanooga and the Eastern Time Zone is just west of town. A supercharger might be in range if I were to drive with a 70 mile per hour tail wind and I had a sail!:rolleyes: Knoxville is also out of range. But yes, you did mention Kentucky. Sorry.
Tennessee has excellent CHAdeMO coverage, so once Tesla releases its promised CHAdeMO adapter you can enjoy L3 charging there. At $1000, the adapter's not cheap, but if you drive a lot in Tennessee or the PacNW, it might be worthwhile.

However, as far as is known at this stage, the CHAdeMO adapter will be current-limited so relatively slow.
Well, it's capped at 50kW, instead of the theoretical max of 62.5kW, but that's still 150 miles/hour. Not the 90-120kW you get on Supercharging, but better than the 10kW I'm limited to on AC (or 20kW if you have the second charger). (The Tesla webpage had erroneously stated 70 miles/hour, but they've since corrected that.)

Tennessee has excellent CHAdeMO coverage, so once Tesla releases its promised CHAdeMO adapter you can enjoy L3 charging there. At $1000, the adapter's not cheap, but if you drive a lot in Tennessee or the PacNW, it might be worthwhile.

There are blink QC and J1772 between Knoxville and Nashville but there are no QC between Knoxville, TN and Asheville, NC or between Knoxville, TN and Lexington, KY or none between Knoxville, TN and Bristol, TN/VA. Oh and there aren't any in the west half of the state so forget about traveling from Memphis to Nashville without using L2 charging.

I would say Tenessee has good chademo coverage in the middle of the state and no coverage east of Knoxville or west of Nashville. Something like 1/3 to 1/2 of the state doesn't have fast charging.

Well, it's capped at 50kW, instead of the theoretical max of 62.5kW, but that's still 150 miles/hour. Not the 90-120kW you get on Supercharging, ...
It will be interesting to see if there is a taper here. If it's a steady 50 kW, then it will be faster than a supercharger for 90kW-supercharging batteries at around 150mi rated (since the supercharger tapering dips below 50 kW somewhere around there).