Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do y'all think that Tesla will offer free supercharging for life for all models or do you think it will cut off with the Model X and require other more popular models to pay?

All cars. It's actually "unlimited charging for $2k" rather than free. It's actually an important part of the Supercharger model because it makes the network simpler, lower maintenance and quicker to use.
- Needs power and connection to your car
- No display on the charger
- No card to take out from purse or wallet
- No card swipe
- No transaction processing
- No receipt printing
- No stupid CA credit-card-company-written law making the company have to support payment by credit card.
Construction: $200k/Supercharger, 400 Superchargers => $80M to build
Rent: Use Savannah $100/stall/mo. Average 6 slots? 400 * 6 * 100 = $240k/mo. Over 5 years => $14.4M
$94.4M for Superchargers and 5 years rent. If $1k per car (and the total "fee"'s $2k) that's 94.4 cars that need to be sold over 5 years to pay for the network construction.
Then remember that Tesla has the money up front and maintenance is low.
Now think what would happen if Tesla had lots and lots of customers: the customers would become a more valuable asset and Tesla might have to pay _less_ rent, significantly lowering the ongoing cost of maintaining the network.
Now think what happens with improving PV and battery economics: the electricity costs could become lower.

How much do people pay in gas for the life of their car?
It's great the way Tesla's turning personal transportation on its head.

All cars. It's actually "unlimited charging for $2k" rather than free. It's actually an important part of the Supercharger model because it makes the network simpler, lower maintenance and quicker to use.
- Needs power and connection to your car
- No display on the charger
- No card to take out from purse or wallet
- No card swipe
- No transaction processing
- No receipt printing
- No stupid CA credit-card-company-written law making the company have to support payment by credit card.
Construction: $200k/Supercharger, 400 Superchargers => $80M to build
Rent: Use Savannah $100/stall/mo. Average 6 slots? 400 * 6 * 100 = $240k/mo. Over 5 years => $14.4M
$94.4M for Superchargers and 5 years rent. If $1k per car (and the total "fee"'s $2k) that's 94.4 cars that need to be sold over 5 years to pay for the network construction.
Then remember that Tesla has the money up front and maintenance is low.
Now think what would happen if Tesla had lots and lots of customers: the customers would become a more valuable asset and Tesla might have to pay _less_ rent, significantly lowering the ongoing cost of maintaining the network.
Now think what happens with improving PV and battery economics: the electricity costs could become lower.

How much do people pay in gas for the life of their car?
It's great the way Tesla's turning personal transportation on its head.

I think the Savannah situation of spot rental is exceptional. For most SCs, we can assume that rent is zero.

Also, with Kingman in place, whos going to be the first crazy TMC user to perform the road trip and beat Elon?
I'm surprised no one has underscored this, so I will --

Tesla Completes Coast-to-Coast Supercharging Network

January 22, 2014

This evening in Kingman, Arizona, Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) energized its 70th Supercharger in the United States. This event marks a milestone in U.S. automotive history, making it possible to drive from coast to coast entirely on high-speed electric charging. Supercharger additions continue rapidly, adding more stations to a network that now allows travel from Vancouver to San Diego, Los Angeles to Washington DC, and Boston to Miami. Tesla Model S owners compare this event to the "Golden Spike" that signaled the completion of the transcontinental railway.

WTG, Tesla Supercharger team!

Also, with Kingman in place, whos going to be the first crazy TMC user to perform the road trip and beat Elon?

Make it to DC on February 15th and join the party. :smile: Almost 70 cars so far.

-
BytheNumbers 2014-01-23.png

+1 to what you are saying sir!

However I dont see Tesla stepping in to do anything about the local owners using the local chargers, that would be a huge PR no no.
it will bring so much negative press to the company, can you imagine the headlines when Tesla goes back on their promise, and not just a promise but a paid feature of the car? Unfortunately there will always be people doing something to their advantage without considering others, thats something even Elon Musk cannot fix.

Again im not disagreeing with what you said, im just saying theres no chance of Tesla limiting SC usage after promising unlimited usage and charging for access.

I suspect you are correct. Which means it's up to the owner base to be judicious in their use. Therefore, with 10's-to-100's of thousands of Teslas on the road, it will only take the small fraction of owners that will inevitably be inconsiderate to make a mess of it for us all.

Sad, but true, I'd bet.

The 70 cumulative is a wonderful number! We now have a path to cross the U.S.A coast to coast with Superchargers and a little hypermiling. When Vegas, Hagerstown, and finally, Cranberry are complete, you won't even have to think about hypermiling*.

BTW, I like to emphasize the install rate; here is my graph. This is wonderful, but let's all remember that after this crescendo of December and January, February may be a little slower...there are not many cones left on the Teslawiki Superchargers Map.

Superchargers 20140123.png

*Kingman to Flagstaff, going east, and Cheyenne to Silverton, going west, need care. Maybe Williams, AZ and somewhere a little north of Denver CO will be added

I'm surprised no one has underscored this, so I will --

Tesla Completes Coast-to-Coast Supercharging Network

January 22, 2014

This evening in Kingman, Arizona, Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) energized its 70th Supercharger in the United States. This event marks a milestone in U.S. automotive history, making it possible to drive from coast to coast entirely on high-speed electric charging. Supercharger additions continue rapidly, adding more stations to a network that now allows travel from Vancouver to San Diego, Los Angeles to Washington DC, and Boston to Miami. Tesla Model S owners compare this event to the "Golden Spike" that signaled the completion of the transcontinental railway.

WTG, Tesla Supercharger team!

With Kingman, AZ online it looks a lot closer. Doable with an 85. What I don't understand is why are the Arizona and Southern California superchargers spaced so far apart. It is 210 miles from Kingman to Barstow, CA. In my 60 this is just too much of a stretch. From the Tesla map it doesn't look like they have any plans to bridge the gap. So is a divert to Las Vegas the only way possible to "connect the dots"? Seems a bit out of the way. All of the other supercharger spacing seems setup for 60 cars and look like no problem. It's just this last little bit by California that is a problem. Considering the large number EV owners in southern California and Arizona, I would figure they would have better supercharger density.

With Kingman, AZ online it looks a lot closer. Doable with an 85. What I don't understand is why are the Arizona and Southern California superchargers spaced so far apart. It is 210 miles from Kingman to Barstow, CA. In my 60 this is just too much of a stretch. From the Tesla map it doesn't look like they have any plans to bridge the gap. So is a divert to Las Vegas the only way possible to "connect the dots"? Seems a bit out of the way. All of the other supercharger spacing seems setup for 60 cars and look like no problem. It's just this last little bit by California that is a problem. Considering the large number EV owners in southern California and Arizona, I would figure they would have better supercharger density.

The locations on I-95 on the east coast have similar driving distances as well.

It looks like that route is doable with a range charge on a 60. Definitely not ideal, but better than not taking the trip at all. :)

It doesn't seem from the SC map that they have any plans to put one between those two cities.

They do. I've talked directly with a supercharging team member a while back. There goal has always been a max of 150 miles between each location. This distance creates shorter stops and more comfortable driving for everyone at higher speeds. I was told they are looking at options between Savannah and St. Augustine. HPWC's at the new Jacksonville service center seems most probable in the short term.

Where would you put one on that stretch of I-40? Tesla is going to want superchargers installed at locations with a diversity of restaurants, shops and other services for owners to enjoy while they charge. On that stretch there are a few five-building towns with an overpriced gas station, but that's about all.

Do y'all think that Tesla will offer free supercharging for life for all models or do you think it will cut off with the Model X and require other more popular models to pay?
I have to disagree on a couple points:
1. I've never liked the phrasing "free" here. Something like "no per use charge" fits better.
2. The answer to your question (even with "no per use charge" rephrasing) is already "no" because some Model S owners have chosen not to buy supercharging (software) support. This further drives home the point that the service isn't "free".

The wiki page does not seem to have any intelligence beyond the "coming soon" sites on Tesla's map. My attention is turning to what the prioritization will be for the rest of 2014. Specifically, we are planning a BC to IA trip in April, and wondering how much more of I-90 might be done by then. Any thoughts?

My opinion: Your chance at having a full set of Superchargers on I-90 by April 2014 is about 1% and even a good set between Washington, and South Dakota is about 10%.

For your April trip, embrace the "4-Corners Supercharger S-Turn:"

4-Corners S.jpg

If you have dual chargers, its about equal total time to use the 70Amp J1772 Chargers in Pagosa and Salida, CO. If you do an overnight in Pagosa, and checkout the hot springs there, it is less time. If you are doing an out and back, try the Superchargers one way and the J's the other way. Call ahead to check J status, they are on Plugshare.

See 4 Corners EV Charging - Page 3 for the maps and more info.

Where would you put one on that stretch of I-40? Tesla is going to want superchargers installed at locations with a diversity of restaurants, shops and other services for owners to enjoy while they charge. On that stretch there are a few five-building towns with an overpriced gas station, but that's about all.

I haven't been down the I-40, but from a satellite view maybe Pirate Cove Resort & Marina. Or perhaps the town of Needles has something, or at least there is a town shopping center. A supercharger in Needles would at least be less than 150 miles from Barstow.

I have to disagree on a couple points:
1. I've never liked the phrasing "free" here. Something like "no per use charge" fits better.
2. The answer to your question (even with "no per use charge" rephrasing) is already "no" because some Model S owners have chosen not to buy supercharging (software) support. This further drives home the point that the service isn't "free".

I disagree. SuperchargING is free. There is an option to purchase for the 60 to have the CAPABILITY to use a superchargER, and it's included in the base price of the 85. But with no marginal, ongoing, or per use cost, it's appropriate to say that supercharging is free. Paying for the hardware and software to make it work is different than saying there is a cost for supercharging.

If you buy a new iPhone because you want to use Siri, would you describe the Siri service as having "no per use charge" or being free? I think most people would consider it to be free.

This is a splendid father-daughter adventure: across the frozen north in sub-zero temperatures, snow and wind; and it should be a relatively easy day for them today, from Murdo to wherever they choose to stop for the night.

LOL first thing in the beginning of his trip he hits something on the road and blows out his 21" tire and bends the rim. any people wonder why I'm so critical of those 21s...