Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry, but does there really have to be a rule specifically forbidding something for you not to do it? There's no law against leaving your shopping cart in the middle of the parking lot after unloading groceries. There no law against cutting people off on the freeway. How about a little common sense?

There may not be a problem at this moment in time at this particular Supercharger, but it sets a precedent for people to do it at other Superchargers were it is a problem. Then Tesla will have to step in with some kind of rule against it so people traveling can actually use the Superchargers without waiting an hour or two. Can we not just save them the trouble, act like responsible adults for a change, and nip this in the bud before it becomes commonplace?

For a society that argues so much about over-regulation, you seem to be doing everything in your power to make it necessary.

[/lecture mode]

Amen, brother! :)

I couldn't care less what people do as long as it doesn't affect others in a negative way. As you said, it's the precedent that it sets, which already causes congestion at some SC's on the West Coast for people who need it for a trip. I just don't see how somebody would be willing to drive out of their way to the supercharger and sit for half an hour or whatever it takes rather than pay a few bucks to charge at home and get on with your life.

I'm sorry, but does there really have to be a rule specifically forbidding something for you not to do it? There's no law against leaving your shopping cart in the middle of the parking lot after unloading groceries. There no law against cutting people off on the freeway. How about a little common sense?

There may not be a problem at this moment in time at this particular Supercharger, but it sets a precedent for people to do it at other Superchargers where it is a problem. Then Tesla will have to step in with some kind of rule against it so people traveling can actually use the Superchargers without waiting an hour or two. Can we not just save them the trouble, act like responsible adults for a change, and nip this in the bud before it becomes commonplace?

For a society that argues so much about over-regulation, you seem to be doing everything in your power to make it necessary.

[/lecture mode]

+1.

hey-youre-awesome-1791-1232679844-0.jpg

Message to the supercharging team from me:

Folks,

I just completed my first Supercharged drive. I went from Burnsville MN to Champaign IL, stopping at LaCross, Mauston, Madison, Rockford and Normal.

All I can say is WOW. What a great experience. The trip seemed to go much quicker when going from one station to the next, and with the frequent stops, I arrived at my destination with no fatigue at all! I found that I was ready for a bathroom break or a meal each time I arrived at a new location, and so the spacing is perfect.

The superchargers themselves could not be easier to use. Remove the cord from the holster, press the button to open the door, and plug it in! Amazing. No breakers to switch, no card to swipe, nothing. Very nice.

Given the lightning speed that the stations are being built, I was thinking that there are bound to be some teething problems, but I didn't notice any.

I will be returning on Friday/Saturday, and I am looking forward to driving the route again.

I would like to be able to drive from Minneapolis to Tampa Florida (via Indianapolis, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta). I hope that route gets some attention. I think the Chicago folks would appreciate it too.

Very well done, and keep up the fabulous work!

Response from the supercharging team to me:

Thank you for your email. It is always great to receive positive customer feedback and we are happy you are enjoying the Supercharger network! We are in the process of developing our Southeastern network, so stay tuned for updates and announcements.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and support of Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
Tesla Supercharger Team

There may not be a problem at this moment in time at this particular Supercharger, but it sets a precedent for people to do it at other Superchargers where it is a problem. Then Tesla will have to step in with some kind of rule against it so people traveling can actually use the Superchargers without waiting an hour or two. Can we not just save them the trouble, act like responsible adults for a change, and nip this in the bud before it becomes commonplace?

[/lecture mode]
+1 to what you are saying sir!

However I dont see Tesla stepping in to do anything about the local owners using the local chargers, that would be a huge PR no no.
it will bring so much negative press to the company, can you imagine the headlines when Tesla goes back on their promise, and not just a promise but a paid feature of the car? Unfortunately there will always be people doing something to their advantage without considering others, thats something even Elon Musk cannot fix.

Again im not disagreeing with what you said, im just saying theres no chance of Tesla limiting SC usage after promising unlimited usage and charging for access.

A few points about locals charging:

someone who does a lot of daily driving (a couple hundred miles a day) and lives near a super charger could pay for half of a bare bones 60kw by charging for free compared to what they used to spend on gas.

most users are not as enthusiastic as we are on the board here. Most probably have never read that supercharging web page, and there were no limits set forth in the purchase agreement. The general public isn't going to know these basic principles we come up with online. This problem isn't going away, no matter what we decide here. I dont think long term it will be an issue. I actually think tesla long term wants this mentality when they become the equivalent to the oil company and are charging other non tesla users for electricity. The general public will also always have some people who see these like gas stations.

It might not waste someone's time. If they have certain work that can be done from the car, or business calls to make, they might not really be losing time... Just multi tasking. Even those that only drive 30 miles a day could go get lunch at a restaurant near a supercharger once a week and never charge at home. They would have lost no time. I think as they get busier, these people will tend to go during less busy times anyway since they are spending so much time at them.

as tesla aims at lower and lower incomes with a more affordable car, this situation certainly isn't going to get better.

With tiered rate structures, people can end up spending $20 for a full charge still. The ev rates are worthless halfway through the month when you've burned through those lower price kw's.

the other people who are really going to use this charging method (and many are waiting for a local supercharger to be installed before they purchase their teslas so they can use this method) are city/apartment dwellers. There are a lot of people who see this as the solution to their lack of charging capability at home.

i don't do this (except for once or twice when I was low on the pack and was going to the outlet anyway and the chargers were pretty much empty), however, it isn't forbidden and it is something that were likely going to have to learn to accept.

If this does become an issue, and i dont expect it to in most cases, tesla only has two ways to deal with it. The first is to wait until it is becoming a p.r. Issue that people are waiting forever to charge and the media picks up on it, then they come in as the good guys and introduce the limitations to fix the problem.

the second option, and the one I see most likely, is that they will notice the busiest ones that complaints are coming in about and build relief chargers (or swappers) nearby.

Again, unfortunately, we can complain and argue the merits of this, but it's going to go no where. I personally am not offended by those who do this though.

Do y'all think that Tesla will offer free supercharging for life for all models

Definitely. The cost of supercharging will be built into the price of the vehicles. Every Tesla Model will be able to charge for free. This is part of the experience of owning a Tesla. As opposed to what some may think, these supercharging stations are *NOT* intended to be for Tesla-only. Elon has stated this clearly on different occasions. He wants to establish this infrastructure to help drive the EV community as a whole. Other manufacturers will be able to license the technology from Tesla and their vehicles will then be able to drive cross country. Once others begin to use this tech (they all seem a bit stubborn right now and won't yet admit that Tesla's tech is better), if Tesla is offering usage for free to all Tesla owners, it's a huge incentive to buy the Tesla vs anything else. Mercedes will probably be the first to be able to use the supercharger network. The question will be whether or not Mercedes will also build the usage cost into the price of the car and thus no reoccurring costs to them either.

Do y'all think that Tesla will offer free supercharging for life for all models or do you think it will cut off with the Model X and require other more popular models to pay?

All Tesla EV Models (S, X, E, etc.).

But that's just my personal opinion about how I think that Elon Musk wants to see it happen.

Officially it has only been announced to be free for for life for the Tesla Model S (and not yet for the Tesla Model X, I think).

That's how it stands up to now.

Maybe somebody else has more info?

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely. The cost of supercharging will be built into the price of the vehicles. Every Tesla Model will be able to charge for free. This is part of the experience of owning a Tesla. As opposed to what some may think, these supercharging stations are *NOT* intended to be for Tesla-only. Elon has stated this clearly on different occasions. He wants to establish this infrastructure to help drive the EV community as a whole. Other manufacturers will be able to license the technology from Tesla and their vehicles will then be able to drive cross country. Once others begin to use this tech (they all seem a bit stubborn right now and won't yet admit that Tesla's tech is better), if Tesla is offering usage for free to all Tesla owners, it's a huge incentive to buy the Tesla vs anything else. Mercedes will probably be the first to be able to use the supercharger network. The question will be whether or not Mercedes will also build the usage cost into the price of the car and thus no reoccurring costs to them either.

I agree with yobigd20. I think that this is how it's going to be in the future. But nothing official yet.