Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I decided to scout out Menlo park mall in NJ to see if construction started or any Tesla shipping crates. First, I didn't find anything. Then again half the parking lot is snow plowed in. Second, getting to Menlo park off the turnpike and back SUUUCCKKSSS. it took me 30 minutes just to go a few miles. This is an extremely heavily trafficked area and VERY inconvenient for getting to and back from the highway. This SUCKS that NJ won't let them put it at the rest stops. I certainly won't be making the Menlo park mall visit again.

Btw I just passed a white Model S in this area. Anyone here?

Well I decided to scout out Menlo park mall in NJ to see if construction started or any Tesla shipping crates. First, I didn't find anything. Then again half the parking lot is snow plowed in. Second, getting to Menlo park off the turnpike and back SUUUCCKKSSS. it took me 30 minutes just to go a few miles. This is an extremely heavily trafficked area and VERY inconvenient for getting to and back from the highway. This SUCKS that NJ won't let them put it at the rest stops. I certainly won't be making the Menlo park mall visit again.

Btw I just passed a white Model S in this area. Anyone here?

As soon as I saw where they were planning to put it I knew it was going to be a bad spot. Everything is so congested up there.

The supercharging network will likely never be "complete". Tesla will be rolling out Supercharger for at least the next five years. My guess is that there will be 1000 Superchargers installed by 2018.

I think you are correct. As long as more Tesla's are sold than taken off the roads, the number of Superchargers will need to grow in line with that. In 12 months, we could see upwards of double the number of Model Ss in California. With queues already forming at the existing Superchargers, it's fairly obvious that more will be needed to service the fleet. A previous post showed a long wait at Barstow - and we all know that Hawthorne can get congested.

How easy is it to access during non-rush hours? Judging from Google Maps, Menlo Park Mall is fairly ideal because it allows access from both the Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway, whereas rest area chargers are only usable for Turnpike drivers.

A few weeks back, I timed how long it took me coming from the Turnpike exit 10, which is the Rt 287 (N) exit (to Rt 1 N) you would use coming from the Turnpike going north. It took my 9 minutes in average traffic, I forget the exact mileage, but I am thinking 5 miles or so. Coming from the Turnpike going south, I believe exit 11 would be quickest.

Aurora, IL supercharger now online! 4 charging bays. Wow we totally missed this one entirely!

Aurora Supercharger | Tesla Motors

How cool is that! Aside from the personal factor (I was born and raised in Aurora), it makes me wonder how many more are being built under the radar.

It should also be noted that the Aurora location is right next to the Metra train station. Hopefully owners won't park their cars there all day while they take the train into Chicago.

How cool is that! Aside from the personal factor (I was born and raised in Aurora), it makes me wonder how many more are being built under the radar.

If I were in charge of Supercharger roll out at Tesla, I would be focusing on the Gallup, NM to Dallas, TX via I-40 and I-35, and the Houston, TX to Florida via I-10 routes to connect the Texas Triangle to the west and east coasts. In addition, we have already seen construction in Green River, UT and planning in St George, UT, so I predict that efforts in Richfield, UT and Beaver, UT are not far behind to complete the Denver to LA via I-70 and I-15 route. All of these have pretty good weather from now until the summer.

If I were in charge of Supercharger roll out at Tesla, I would be focusing on the Gallup, NM to Dallas, TX via I-40 and I-35, and the Houston, TX to Florida via I-10 routes to connect the Texas Triangle to the west and east coasts. In addition, we have already seen construction in Green River, UT and planning in St George, UT, so I predict that efforts in Richfield, UT and Beaver, UT are not far behind to complete the Denver to LA via I-70 and I-15 route. All of these have pretty good weather from now until the summer.

If I had a say, I would connect Atlanta. I'm a bit biased as I live in Atlanta, but I do not own a Tesla. Atlanta is one of the top ranked EV cities in the country but they still don't have direct access to the supercharger network. Savannah, GA is a stretch. But I agree with connecting FL and TX. Its hard to get exact Model S numbers but if there is a correlation between Model S and EVs this shows the need to connect Atlanta - http://blogs.marketwatch.com/energy...turns-over-new-leafs-and-other-electric-cars/

If I had a say, I would connect Atlanta. I'm a bit biased as I live in Atlanta, but I do not own a Tesla. Atlanta is one of the top ranked EV cities in the country but they still don't have direct access to the supercharger network. Savannah, GA is a stretch. But I agree with connecting FL and TX. Its hard to get exact Model S numbers but if there is a correlation between Model S and EVs this shows the need to connect Atlanta - http://blogs.marketwatch.com/energy...turns-over-new-leafs-and-other-electric-cars/

You are absolutely correct. Living in the Rockies, I tend to focus on the west and its connections. If you look at the 2014 map, Atlanta is well connected to I-95 and I-10. Getting some of those Superchargers in now would be a great idea during these last winter months.