Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It stops at~81kWh so as not to brick it. Battery capacity is 85kWh. ~4kWh is reserved, never to be used.

Re "never to be used" -- I always wondered if the umpteen computers in the battery pack were smart enough to actually use some of those 'never to be used' spare cells, when one or more of the in-use cells fail for some reason. In other words, is the battery pack smart enough to re-route storage to unused batteries as cells fail, which some of them must do, given the 7000 cells in the pack?

Did anyone notice this in the shareholder letter today?
"For the year, Model S was the top selling vehicle in North America among comparably priced cars. Nonetheless,we believe there is room to improve in 2014 as we complete the Supercharger network and enable vehicleservice almost anywhere in North America. "

Did they really mean to say the remaining planned North American superchargers will be completed this year? The 2015 map is being pushed to 2014? I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet.

The shareholder letter also said this, which is definitely not true - "Supercharger network built across most of USA and Northwest Europe"

Re "never to be used" -- I always wondered if the umpteen computers in the battery pack were smart enough to actually use some of those 'never to be used' spare cells, when one or more of the in-use cells fail for some reason. In other words, is the battery pack smart enough to re-route storage to unused batteries as cells fail, which some of them must do, given the 7000 cells in the pack?

As Lloyd said, that's now how it works. It discharges from the pack as a whole. It does not drain cell by cell. There is a minimum it will discharge each cell to which, when added together, makes the total 4kWh of unusable energy.

The shareholder letter also said this, which is definitely not true - "Supercharger network built across most of USA and Northwest Europe"
Well, define "most". They've hit nearly all the major urban areas, so on a percentage of population covered, it'd be a true statement.

For example, as a west coast guy, I know I've read that something like 90% of people live within about 50 miles of Interstate 5.

Well, define "most". They've hit nearly all the major urban areas, so on a percentage of population covered, it'd be a true statement.

For example, as a west coast guy, I know I've read that something like 90% of people live within about 50 miles of Interstate 5.

You'll have to qualify that statement to have it carry any meaning. Otherwise... "90% of people domiciled within 55 miles of Interstate 5 live within about 50 miles of Interstate 5." :biggrin:

Sorry, you lost me. My point was Tesla's covered most of the US population with superchargers, but certainly not most of the US land mass.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: my point was that your original statement is missing an essential qualifier on the word 'people': "...90 percent of people live within 50 miles of Interstate 5."

90 percent of what people?

Sorry, I thought that was reasonably implied from the "as a west coast guy" that prefaced the statement. 90% of people on the west coast.

I thought that might be what you were driving at, ckessel. At the risk of being pedantic, though, 'west coast' by itself doesn't define a population, either; 'west coast states', maybe? But, honestly, I'm not trying to bust your chops, and this exchange has gone way off the rails. Apologies to everyone for hijacking the thread.

Back on topic: how about that Las Vegas Supercharger, eh? :biggrin:

As expected Turn On rate for North American Superchargers has slowed this month after the huge number in January, 24. We have only seen 3 installs so far this month, Yuma, AZ, Pleasant Prairie, WI, and Las Vegas, NV. Hopefully, the rate will pick up again soon. Only 9 more to go to get to 100 worldwide...

Superchargers-4.png

Did anyone notice this in the shareholder letter today?
"For the year, Model S was the top selling vehicle in North America among comparably priced cars. Nonetheless,we believe there is room to improve in 2014 as we complete the Supercharger network and enable vehicle service almost anywhere in North America. "

Did they really mean to say the remaining planned North American superchargers will be completed this year? The 2015 map is being pushed to 2014? I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet.

You (and others in this thread) are being confused by the difference between the adjective "complete" and the verb "complete".

adjective "complete" = (often used for emphasis) to the greatest extent or degree; total.

verb "complete" = finish making or doing

as we complete = as we continue to approach completion
as we complete = as we continue to add more
as we complete <> as we reach the finish line
(if you aren't used to <> that means "does not equal").

Maybe it would have been better if they used the form "completing" as in "as we continue completing the Supercharger network" but the more terse "as we complete" phrasing is more common for how people talk.

I believe after the Tesla cross country trip, on CBS's Morning Show, Elon Musk said now 80% of the US population is within range of a Supercharger, and by end of this year the figure will be 95%.
This sounds good but really isn't a relevant metric. It doesn't help if you're "within range of a supercharger" but it's in the opposite direction you need to travel, or it is on your route but your destination is farther than the range you would gain from that charge. The relevant metric is what percentage of trips beyond the range of the car can be accomplished using superchargers. I dont know how you would calculate that though.

You (and others in this thread) are being confused by the difference between the adjective "complete" and the verb "complete".

adjective "complete" = (often used for emphasis) to the greatest extent or degree; total.

verb "complete" = finish making or doing

as we complete = as we continue to approach completion
as we complete = as we continue to add more
as we complete <> as we reach the finish line
(if you aren't used to <> that means "does not equal").

Maybe it would have been better if they used the form "completing" as in "as we continue completing the Supercharger network" but the more terse "as we complete" phrasing is more common for how people talk.
They should have said "...as we continue to build out the SuperCharger network..."