Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guesses on a couple of these:

portsmouth nh (actually Kittery, Me) = Premium Outlets
robbinsville, nj (actually Jackson, nj) = Premium Outlets
tampa fl = Premium Outlets
toronto = Toronto Premium Outlets: Centre in Halton Hills, Ontario
niagara falls =http://www.fashionoutletsniagara.com/

i also wouldn't be surprised and the dots are slightly misleading for these ones:
sturbridge, ma = Premium Outlets
allentown, pa = Premium Outlets

also, Atlanta and Charlotte/Greenville have ones not too far away. Atlanta's would be northern suburbs, instead of the dot right on the city. Charlottes and greenvilles outlet is right between the two cities. A new one in Charlotte is supposedly opening in the summer of 2014, so that's probably that one.
SIMON | Investor Relations | Press Release

there is also a Canada one outlets in Niagara Falls, but it doesn't look as nice.

As itsnotaboutthemoney said, the one in Kittery could be one of several spots. There is also a tanger outlets there.

--------------
maybe there is a hidden joke/mental trick behind tesla putting all these chargers at "outlets"
Re Tampa location, the Premium Outlets are actually in Ellenton, Fl, about 30 minutes south of Tampa. That would be a terrible location, as the access is always clogged with traffic and the parking areas are terrible. It also would make the run to the Gainesville area charger too far (close to 3 hours).

There actually is a much better spot SW of the intersection of HWY 60 and I-75 just East of Tampa. The strip center is called Brandon Crossings and has tons of unused parking and is adjacent to several restaurants (including one of the best BBQ restaurants in the area) and shops. The location also is only a few miles south of where I-4 intersects with I-75. Would be an ideal spot for a supercharger.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that this one will be located at the Marietta store. I asked a source and with the vague message that he responded with sounded like they would try to mimic the mobile chargers in Bethesda. We'll see...

I definitely want the Bethesda supercharger removed when the Woodbridge one is up and running. It is a logistical disaster that is only going to get worse, as they cannot get enough slots there and the possibility of getting ICE'ed is very high. It will only get worse as more Tesla's are sold.

My suggestion is to move it to the Rockville Service Center on the inside, as an internal use thing where they can verify supercharger operation and quickly juice up customer cars that are coming from afar.

I definitely want the Bethesda supercharger removed when the Woodbridge one is up and running. It is a logistical disaster that is only going to get worse, as they cannot get enough slots there and the possibility of getting ICE'ed is very high. It will only get worse as more Tesla's are sold.

My suggestion is to move it to the Rockville Service Center on the inside, as an internal use thing where they can verify supercharger operation and quickly juice up customer cars that are coming from afar.

Yes, if we're seeing issues with 20-30K Model Ses on the road, just think about when the Model E is out there. Can't imagine right now.

Re Tampa location, the Premium Outlets are actually in Ellenton, Fl, about 30 minutes south of Tampa. That would be a terrible location, as the access is always clogged with traffic and the parking areas are terrible. It also would make the run to the Gainesville area charger too far (close to 3 hours).

There actually is a much better spot SW of the intersection of HWY 60 and I-75 just East of Tampa. The strip center is called Brandon Crossings and has tons of unused parking and is adjacent to several restaurants (including one of the best BBQ restaurants in the area) and shops. The location also is only a few miles south of where I-4 intersects with I-75. Would be an ideal spot for a supercharger.
Hi Steve,

I can' t provide any details, but I have two credible sources stating that the Tampa Supercharger will be in the Brandon area. Brandon Crossings is a good location, but I think it will be elsewhere in Brandon.

Larry

Don't remove any Superchargers. Installation is a very big part of the investment every Supercharger, including the mobile ones like in Bethesda. If the there are problems or overcrowding, then build more Superchargers in new locations.

From your suggestion, it looks like a Supercharger at the Rockville Service Center would be a nice addition, but why would that require removing Bethesda?

Don't remove any Superchargers. Installation is a very big part of the investment every Supercharger, including the mobile ones like in Bethesda. If the there are problems or overcrowding, then build more Superchargers in new locations.

From your suggestion, it looks like a Supercharger at the Rockville Service Center would be a nice addition, but why would that require removing Bethesda?

Definitely, it is too close to a major city. With only 2 slots and no way of expansion, it is just too easy to get a major bottleneck. Not only are there already a lot of Tesla's in the DC area, it is along a major transit corridor. It has already been ICE'd on numerous occasions. With most other superchargers, if you don't make it back to your car the moment the charge is done, its no big deal. With only 2 slots and people waiting, it's far more critical. This is basically a recipe for dissatisfaction all around. If they were able to put in 10 or 12 at this location, then maybe. But 2?

also, Atlanta and Charlotte/Greenville have ones not too far away. Atlanta's would be northern suburbs, instead of the dot right on the city. Charlottes and greenvilles outlet is right between the two cities. A new one in Charlotte is supposedly opening in the summer of 2014, so that's probably that one.
SIMON | Investor Relations | Press Release

there is also a Canada one outlets in Niagara Falls, but it doesn't look as nice.

As itsnotaboutthemoney said, the one in Kittery could be one of several spots. There is also a tanger outlets there.

--------------
maybe there is a hidden joke/mental trick behind tesla putting all these chargers at "outlets"

I could be wrong, but my guess is that this one will be located at the Marietta store. I asked a source and with the vague message that he responded with sounded like they would try to mimic the mobile chargers in Bethesda. We'll see...

I doubt the supercharger in Atlanta will be in the northern section of the city, or in the Marietta Service Center/Showroom. Certainly they could put some supplemental Super Chargers there. And that location is very convenient for I-75 travel. It is terrible for I-85 travel.

I suspect that the Supercharger in Atlanta will be put in town, on the connector (combined I-75, I-85 segment through downtown/midtown). Probably Atlantic Station, or Georgia Tech restaurant area on 5th Street. Atlantic station has numerous charging stations already and would probably actively court Tesla Superchargers. I would put my money there. It has lots of shopping, entertainment, and restaurants. Then only bad point is the presence of movie theaters, where people parking at a supercharger for 3 hours might become a problem.

Both of those locations are somewhat out of the way for I-20 travel, but still not nearly as inconvenient as the Service Center for travel on I-85, or I-20.

I just proposed Bellville, OH to the supercharger team as a future location. Bellville is a small town directly on I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus. With Bellville, it is only 130 miles to Dayton and 78 miles to Macedonia. Here is my email to them with my logic:

Hello,

My name is Joe, and I am a resident of Cleveland, OH. Let me begin by congratulating you, the supercharger team of Tesla Motors, on your fabulous progress across the country. As a northeast Ohio resident and Tesla enthusiast for many years, I was fortunate to witness the construction of the Macedonia, OH supercharger and was very excited by its arrival.

Looking at the recently updated supercharger map on your website, Ohio's future superchargers look very well placed and in excellent locations. However, there is one major hole that I can see, which lies along the Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati corridor, between Cleveland and Columbus. Currently, there is a 200 mile gap between Macedonia, OH and the proposed location near Dayton.

What I propose is a supercharger location in Bellville, OH, which is a small town situated directly off of I-71, between Cleveland and Columbus. Here is the link to Google Maps of the town: http://goo.gl/Q3e8ui

As a person who commutes regularly between Cleveland and Columbus, I can strongly say that Bellville would be an ideal location for a supercharger. It is full of restaurants and hotels that are seconds off of the interstate.

A supercharger in Bellville would allow for seamless travel between Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati, and would result in the complete coverage of the major routes in Ohio.

Thank you for your consideration, and keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Yes. Agreed w\ Cottonwood. Superchargers should *never* be removed. Only added.

My guesses on a couple of these:

portsmouth nh (actually Kittery, Me) = Premium Outlets

i also wouldn't be surprised and the dots are slightly misleading for these ones:
sturbridge, ma = Premium Outlets
I think you're right about Kittery. Sturbridge, though, is probably really Sturbridge according to Diarmuid O’Connell, Tesla’s vice president of business development. The Center at Hobbs Brook would be a convenient location. If we're going to look beyond Sturbridge proper, the Chardon rest areas off I-90 (Mass Pike) would be logical choices.

Regardless of exact location, these additions to the "Coming Soon" list are very welcome. Thanks, Tesla!

I think you're right about Kittery. Sturbridge, though, is probably really Sturbridge according to Diarmuid O’Connell, Tesla’s vice president of business development. The Center at Hobbs Brook would be a convenient location. If we're going to look beyond Sturbridge proper, the Chardon rest areas off I-90 (Mass Pike) would be logical choices.

Regardless of exact location, these additions to the "Coming Soon" list are very welcome. Thanks, Tesla!

A few weeks ago I met one of the site engineers for the NE at the Greenwich SC. We spoke about the Sturbridge location which he confirmed was the Chardon rest area. He told me Tesla was still in negotiations with the site. The sticking point at the time was the requirement that a handicap accessible ramp be built from the McDonalds to the proposed SC location which evidently is a long distance and would be expensive to construct. At the time I suggested that he approach the stir and suggest that the pathway should not be required as these locations are not parking spots but feeling locations and that a driver could charge and then move there vehicle to a handicap spot closer to the facilities if they chose. I don't know if he pushed forward with this argument or even Tesla is still in conversations with the site, but I supposed time will tell.

After all the excitement of 24 Superchargers installed in January, February was a little bit of a let down with only 5. Even so, the average for the two months, 14.5, is still more than the 13 that we were all so excited about in December! With all of the new "coming soon" sites on the Tesla Map, I hope that the pace will pick up as the weather warms up this Spring. Below is my North American Installs chart.

There are now 93 Superchargers worldwide and 79 in North America. We are getting very close to 100 worldwide, and probably only a month or two from having 100 North American Superchargers! :cool:

Superchargers-5.png

A little accounting note: The changes tab on Superchargers shows 6 North American installs, and I show 5. The difference is that I show Greenwich, CT online in January, Superchargers shows Greenwich, CT in February, and Supercharger | Tesla Motors does not have Greenwich, CT in the list or the count yet. Thus, Superchargers and I both show 79 North American Superchargers, and Supercharger | Tesla Motors shows 78 North American Superchargers

i agree with you... Until I looked where Sturbridge was and really looked close at the map, the outlet looked like it could be that dot, but even before posting it I had my doubts. The other hint was putting it in relation to the Rhode Island supercharger. On the other hand, the Roseville and bethesda locations and a few others show just how inaccurate that map can be.

The other thing to keep in mind that there is no guarantee on a specific location, regardless of what hints employees/construction workers/city hall members say until construction has started.

Connecting: Cheyenne > Normal > Macedonia (3 existing SCs):

1. Big Springs, NE _ 151 miles
2. Kearney, NE ___ 168 miles
3. Lincoln, NE ____ 129 miles
4. St. Joseph, MO _ 141 miles
5. Hannibal, MO __ 193 miles
6. NORMAL, IL ___ 176 miles - existing SC
7. Logansport, IN _ 150 miles
8. Lima, OH ______ 132 miles
9. MACEDONIA, OH 162 miles - existing SC

The 193 miles across MO is a bit high for MS60s but 7 miles less than
the original stop at Highland Park (from Mauston, WI), and should be
doable except in winter extremes.

Denver > Big Springs direct (bypassing Cheyenne) is only 209 miles from Lone Tree
(existing) or 186 miles from D.I.Airport charger (existing Level2 ?).

The miles look pretty good on paper. This SC route would avoid the choke-points of
Chicagoland, Kansas City, St Louis, Indianapolis IN, Columbus OH, yet be close enough
to each for the 'intended purpose' of SCs. It optimizes the reality of Normal, IL being
where it is. :smile:

Two MSs left Cheyenne going to Pennsylvania. One chose to head north to South Dakota,
the other chose to head east to Nebraska. Which one crossed the PA border first?
--

Last edited:
@wycolo: the problem with trying to "avoid the choke-points" is that "choke-points" are also known as "destinations". It makes more sense for Tesla to support (at least initially) routes that connect high-density travel. There are probably more people who would drive from Cheyenne to Chicago than those who want to drive to New York City. Trying to bypass all the regional centers, like Indianapolis and Columbus, results in a network that doesn't serve most people's needs.

In the 2015 map, it appears that Tesla is supporting a Cheyenne--Davenport IA route. From Davenport, you can either head due east to Chicago or down through Normal to Lafayette IN to Dayton OH. These are the interstate routes, of course; as much as I'd love to see better support on the slower federal highways, I think it's reasonable for Tesla to be focused for now on the better-traveled interstates.