Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple more noob SC questions.

When I arrived at the SC today (after driving two+ hours), there was a very loud fan sound coming from the front of the car -- sounded like an electric radiator fan in an ICE vehicle. I mean it was really loud, I could hear it inside the cabin, as well as another sound from the front that sounded like a fuel or fluid pump priming itself. What were these noises from?

Second, while I was charging, sitting inside the cabin with the car "on" (I was using the main screen and listening to music) the windows would not roll down. Pressing the brake pedal did nothing to change the dashboard display (no "On" indicator lights). Odd, I thought, so I went to the controls screen and did a "power off" to see if I would re-wake up the car. It powered down for sure (everything went black), but then nothing would wake it up again -- no brake pedal, no buttons worked, windows still wouldn't roll down. Not until I opened the door did the system power up again, at which point the brake pedal "started" the car and the windows would work normally. So I closed the door again, and then the windows would not roll down again. When the car was done charging and I was about to leave, they started working again. Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?

A couple more noob SC questions.

When I arrived at the SC today (after driving two+ hours), there was a very loud fan sound coming from the front of the car -- sounded like an electric radiator fan in an ICE vehicle. I mean it was really loud, I could hear it inside the cabin, as well as another sound from the front that sounded like a fuel or fluid pump priming itself. What were these noises from?

Second, while I was charging, sitting inside the cabin with the car "on" (I was using the main screen and listening to music) the windows would not roll down. Pressing the brake pedal did nothing to change the dashboard display (no "On" indicator lights). Odd, I thought, so I went to the controls screen and did a "power off" to see if I would re-wake up the car. It powered down for sure (everything went black), but then nothing would wake it up again -- no brake pedal, no buttons worked, windows still wouldn't roll down. Not until I opened the door did the system power up again, at which point the brake pedal "started" the car and the windows would work normally. So I closed the door again, and then the windows would not roll down again. When the car was done charging and I was about to leave, they started working again. Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?

The sound is completely normal. It's just the car cooling the battery. 120kW creates a lot of heat.

I haven't experienced the second one at all. I've never tried to roll the windows down while at the supercharger though. I just use the A/C since I'm plugged in anyway and the car is already using A/C to cool the battery.

I've seen some of that weird behavior when supercharging recently (when on 5.8.10) at the Folsom SC. The windows didn't cooperate consistently and the car repeatedly wanted to go to sleep and in the process, shut the (super)charging down. This happened at a very high SoC with us waiting in the car and trying to use the screen actively.

I didn't bother about it as we got underway soon after. Had no issues supercharging again at Vacaville a couple of days later; we weren't sitting around in the car on that occasion and only charged to 90%.

23 superchargers per month to be on track to have the "End OF 2014" map come to fruition! Yes! Exact locations and timing may vary but...... that will give us an additional 115 supercharging stations from today!

Just the "COMING SOON" map give us an additional 39. As we really break into spring, summer and fall of 2014 we are bound to see superchargers opening at a breakneck pace!

I continue to be extremely impressed with TESLA.

TESLA has a very heavy lift.. very heavy!! They continue to perform and execute at a speed I have never seen before with a "lift" of this magnitude. Let's review!

Launch a successful new car company!

Ramp up and launch vehicles so completely different and unique to the amazement of the world!

Put in place a new national infrastructure to support their vehicles.

Dare I say.... they also are putting into place a international infrastructure to support their vehicles. Good grief!! The magnitude of TESLA's lift is astounding!!

..... and all of this is really designed to jump start everyone else in an effort to drastically reduce global CO2 emissions!!

An effort to save the planet and all of us on it!

I don't know of any other company so properly visioned....... and executing on that vision.

What we are witnessing and participating in, is nothing more than the single biggest lift, to change humans impact on the globe. .....to get us all to drive about the planet on pure sunlight!

23 superchargers per month to be on track to have the "End OF 2014" map come to fruition! Yes! Exact locations and timing may vary but...... that will give us an additional 115 supercharging stations from today!

Just the "COMING SOON" map give us an additional 39. As we really break into spring, summer and fall of 2014 we are bound to see superchargers opening at a breakneck pace!

I continue to be extremely impressed with TESLA.

TESLA has a very heavy lift.. very heavy!! They continue to perform and execute at a speed I have never seen before with a "lift" of this magnitude. Let's review!

Launch a successful new car company!

Ramp up and launch vehicles so completely different and unique to the amazement of the world!

Put in place a new national infrastructure to support their vehicles.

Dare I say.... they also are putting into place a international infrastructure to support their vehicles. Good grief!! The magnitude of TESLA's lift is astounding!!

..... and all of this is really designed to jump start everyone else in an effort to drastically reduce global CO2 emissions!!

An effort to save the planet and all of us on it!

I don't know of any other company so properly visioned....... and executing on that vision.

What we are witnessing and participating in, is nothing more than the single biggest lift, to change humans impact on the globe. .....to get us all to drive about the planet on pure sunlight!
+1
Extraordinary work by TM

Drove from San Diego to LA tonight and stopped by San Juan Capistrano. Talked to one of the foreman who is contracting multiple Superchargers.

1. SJC is being trenched (up till 9pm tonight) for conduit. SDGE will come wire and connect after they're done.

2. Indio is "on their list".

3. Redlands is coming soon.

The last was a bit strange, since I've never heard it before. Very cool crew.

Not sure how to post twitter pics . . . I'll update if someone can help.

Twitter / TeslaMS60: @TeslaMotors trenching ...

I have a SC that is about 25 miles from me, I charge almost exclusively at home however I can see using the local SC to top off at the beginning and ends of long road trips. for me it certainly isn't worth a 50 mile round trip to use the SC as a regular charging station

As a safety net at the end of a long trip, a Supercharger may be useful, but, because of the time to charge when you in the taper near full charge, it almost always makes sense time wise to charge at home.

I usually do a 90% charge the evening before departure, then setup timed charging at 100% with a start a few hours before my earliest expected departure time. This gives me the max starting charge before leaving, for the least of my time. Heading west from Pagosa, I can skip Farmington (or do a 10 minute charge) and head straight to Gallup, and from Boulder, I can skip Silverton and head straight to Glenwood. You really want to get the miles down in the battery before each Supercharger stop, so you can soak up those rated miles (MegaJoules :wink:) quickly at each stop.

I have a SC that is about 25 miles from me, I charge almost exclusively at home however I can see using the local SC to top off at the beginning and ends of long road trips. for me it certainly isn't worth a 50 mile round trip to use the SC as a regular charging station

I imagine it could also be helpful for spur-of-the-moment road trips, when you haven't sufficiently charged the car but suddenly need to go somewhere (assuming that's the right direction).