Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't help to have one 16 miles away. Better to have one 100-130 miles away, in all directions.

I have one six miles away, and besides having cool Tesla infrastructure nearby to show people, the fact that one in my immediate vicinity effectively *guarantees* there will be an ideally located SpC in all directions from me is precisely the biggest benefit.

*And I will note that this is currently true East and West of me, will be true to the South of me by this time next week, and will hopefully be true to my North in the not too distant future.

I have one six miles away, and besides having cool Tesla infrastructure nearby to show people, the fact that one in my immediate vicinity effectively *guarantees* there will be an ideally located SpC in all directions from me is precisely the biggest benefit.

*And I will note that this is currently true East and West of me, will be true to the South of me by this time next week, and will hopefully be true to my North in the not too distant future.

Your outlet at your house doesn't already do that?

rumor has it (from local NJ owner who spoke with electrical hookup guy at hamilton) is that hamilton is all wired up and ready to go but they "turned it off" temporarily and they are going to switch it back on at a big ribbon cutting event at hamilton marketplace next week to celebrate their 100th supercharger.

It doesn't help to have one 16 miles away. Better to have one 100-130 miles away, in all directions.

I already have one in every direction pretty much other than the future one in Harrisburg. I can really use that one. But this way with the Hamilton SuperCharger, I have more flexibility for when I am coming back home via the NJ turnpike or going down the shore using I-195.

I already have one in every direction pretty much other than the future one in Harrisburg. I can really use that one. But this way with the Hamilton SuperCharger, I have more flexibility for when I am coming back home via the NJ turnpike or going down the shore using I-195.

Have you heard any updates on the Harrisburg location? Last I heard was New Cumberland, and i think that was from DonAuker many months ago here on TMC. I am going to be over in Carlisle in the next few weeks, and I can certainly go hunting, if anybody has any ideas!

We took a drive from the Los Angeles area to Las Vegas on Sunday, returning on Tuesday. After charging in Barstow and downtown Las Vegas, I wanted to share some thoughts.

- We arrived at the Barstow supercharger around 12:30 Sunday afternoon, with about 50 miles of range left. All four stalls were occupied, and another model S was waiting before us. We waited roughly half an hour to get a stall, then had lunch. Charging was quick, under an hour to reach 250 miles of range. Two cars were waiting when we left. Sunday is a prime day for travel to/from Las Vegas, so the wait wasn't a big surprise.
- Onto to Las Vegas, where we arrived at the downtown charger sometime around 4:00 or so with 50 miles of range left. Only one of the eight stalls was occupied, so we started charging immediately. Walked down to Fremont street, returning in maybe 40 minutes. We'd gotten 150+ miles of charge, so we left for our hotel on the strip. A couple of more cars had shown up while we charged. No waiting.
- I returned around 4:00 the next day and finished charging. It took a little under an hour. When I arrived, three other cars were there, and two more arrived while I charged. Again no waiting.
- We left Las Vegas late Tuesday morning, arriving in Barstow around 1:00 pm. To our surprise, all four stalls were occupied, and one model S was waiting. We only waited ten minutes or less this time, then got a stall. Charged for under an hour to 240 miles, and departed. When we left, there was one other free stall.

Observations:

- Lots of new Model S's out there -- two of the cars in Barstow on Sunday had "zero emission" plates instead of license plates. One when we returned.
- Waiting sucks :) Superchargers are awesomely fast, when they're charging. But when we arrived at a full supercharger, uncertainty reigned -- most of the drivers were away from their cars, there's no information about how long the cars have to go to reach charge, there's no information about when the drivers will return. All we could do is stand in the hot sun and wonder. Somewhat reminiscent of waiting in a gas line during the gas crisis! As it turns out, the wait wasn't terrible, and people were very friendly and responsible.
- What's going to happen as more cars are sold and more people use the superchargers? Barstow was one of the first superchargers, so it's one of the smallest...and very popular. Suppose ten cars are waiting? What happens when people don't want to wait...or believe they should go in front of you (maybe for a good reason), or don't return to their car when it's done (no way for you to know -- there's no feedback about charging when the key isn't near the car). Right now, we've got a bunch of good-natured enthusiasts sharing the superchargers, but that may change as the cars before more popular and mainstream.

When you're at a supercharger, you're probably there until you can charge -- you can't make it to another one.

I think there's several implications here:

- Lack of information breeds uncertainty and discomfort. Tesla could nip this one in the bud by providing information about the charge status of the cars currently charging. This could either be done at the podium, through the smartphone app, or a website.
- Most people want to do the right thing -- if their car is done charging, they'll free up the stall. To help, it'd be nice to have a text alert that could be sent to your phone when your car is finished.
- As lines become longer, aid may be needed to maintain fair ordering. Essentially, some way to say "I'm number 3 behind that guy". Again, a text alert when you're #1 in line would be helpful, so you could be at the car to move it into the stall when it becomes available, but not have to wait by the car if it's going to be a long time.
- Hour(s) long lines will quickly breed dissatisfaction and tarnish the reputation Tesla has been so carefully building. To some extent, we see this today reflected in some of the comments about the Hawthorne supercharger. Managing the lines, making sure that the tools are in place to reduce wasted time in the stall, and such, will help, but as more cars appear, lines will be a problem. I can only think of two ways to mitigate this: bigger superchargers, or more that are closer together so you have a choice of superchargers. At some point, I think this implies that Tesla will need to have third parties build superchargers (that charge $$$ to use). This is the equivalent of today's for-profit gas stations.

Very interesting trip, we had a great time and some good conversations with other owners. The car ran flawlessly and was very comfortable.

as usual CA is way ahead of the curve when it comes to rolling out something new like a Tesla, as the rest of the country becomes more saturated with MS/MX owners waiting at a SC will become more commonplace and sometimes tedious

- - - Updated - - -

Many people don't own a house, much less a house with a garage. ;)

I'm extremely lucky just to have a 110V outlet at my new apartment. Prior to moving, I relied exclusively on the local SC and the occasional public level 2 station.
not trying to sound uppity but for many a BEV is not the right car because of their inability to access the power needed for their cars

> any updates on the Harrisburg location? [JakeP]

Somerset > Harrisburg > Edison > Albany

Yes, THIS!!
--

Nice. I have heard that Binghamton, NY is being scouted by the site acquisition team, which is interesting because Binghamton is not on any of the maps, through End of 2015. Hoping Tesla is under-promising and over-delivering, even with the currently published maps.

+1. I ask all the posters here to please be sensitive to the fact that not all Tesla owners have a house with a garage. Some of us live in large, metro areas where it can take a while to install a charger in a condo/apartment lot, if it even an option.

Many people don't own a house, much less a house with a garage. ;)

I'm extremely lucky just to have a 110V outlet at my new apartment. Prior to moving, I relied exclusively on the local SC and the occasional public level 2 station.

as usual CA is way ahead of the curve when it comes to rolling out something new like a Tesla, as the rest of the country becomes more saturated with MS/MX owners waiting at a SC will become more commonplace and sometimes tedious

- - - Updated - - -

not trying to sound uppity but for many a BEV is not the right car because of their inability to access the power needed for their cars
This would be the "Let them eat cake" approach?:wink:

Supercharger Completion Rate

There certainly has been a slow down since the giddy month of January. Hopefully things will pick up with the Spring weather. It already looks like there are few more Superchargers ready to come online by the end of April. In reality Q1 2014 had more completed (32) than Q4 2013 (27), but it would be nice to sail out of these doldrums.

Superchargers-6.png

We're starting to feel a little ignored in Texas since the completion of the 5 stations linking the major cities of Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio. There is no sign of us being able to get out of the state yet to the rest of the network (funny how no one complains about not being able to get to Texas, only the other way around). Even when the entire map through 2015 is built, we still won't be able to travel to most of the Gulf Coast. That is a major stumbling block to sales in Texas-- when I tell people about range and the supercharger network, their first question is usually "how do you get to the coast?"

We're starting to feel a little ignored in Texas since the completion of the 5 stations linking the major cities of Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio. There is no sign of us being able to get out of the state yet to the rest of the network (funny how no one complains about not being able to get to Texas, only the other way around). Even when the entire map through 2015 is built, we still won't be able to travel to most of the Gulf Coast. That is a major stumbling block to sales in Texas-- when I tell people about range and the supercharger network, their first question is usually "how do you get to the coast?"

By the end of 2014, you will be able to get to most of the "Gulf Coast," just not to most of the "Texas Gulf Coast." In fact with reasonable destination charging and an overnight charge there, you could probably get to most of the Texas Gulf Coast in an 85 today. YMMV.

Gulf Coast.png

BTW, I cannot understand why the 2014 buildout does not have a connection to OK City and the I-40 link west...