Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*One MegaJoule is approximately one rated mile of energy, a wonderfully obscure coincidence.

One of my favorite coincidences is that within the calibration error of speedometers (at least back in 1980 :), about 7%) one kilometer per hour is one nano-C (speed of light).

Another is Avocado's number: the earth is approximately a mole of avocados.

And if there was no relativity, it would take about a year to accelerate to the speed of light at one G.

(off topic, I know, and I apologize in advance)

Have you heard any updates on the Harrisburg location? Last I heard was New Cumberland, and i think that was from DonAuker many months ago here on TMC. I am going to be over in Carlisle in the next few weeks, and I can certainly go hunting, if anybody has any ideas!

My Tesla source from last September was correct on the other two PA locations so I am planning to get back to checking some very suspicious power company markings in the back parking lot of a hotel in New Cumberland. With the location moving from the coming soon map to the end of 2014 map and no new activity over a several month period I suspect it got delayed. With the nasty winter finally over I need to take a trip up that way.

My Tesla source from last September was correct on the other two PA locations so I am planning to get back to checking some very suspicious power company markings in the back parking lot of a hotel in New Cumberland. With the location moving from the coming soon map to the end of 2014 map and no new activity over a several month period I suspect it got delayed. With the nasty winter finally over I need to take a trip up that way.

Awesome! Keep us posted!

By the end of 2014, you will be able to get to most of the "Gulf Coast," just not to most of the "Texas Gulf Coast." In fact with reasonable destination charging and an overnight charge there, you could probably get to most of the Texas Gulf Coast in an 85 today. YMMV.
I meant the Texas Gulf Coast. I should have been more specific. And I have a 60. Even in a 85 it's a stretch from the San Marcos supercharger to Port Aransas, especially at the highway speeds we have here.

The most popular destination on the Texas Gulf Coast is South Padre Island, ranked as one of best beaches in the country, and a 85 couldn't come close to getting there. I doubt there is a popular California beach that is out of reach of Teslas.

I meant the Texas Gulf Coast. I should have been more specific. And I have a 60. Even in a 85 it's a stretch from the San Marcos supercharger to Port Aransas, especially at the highway speeds we have here.

The most popular destination on the Texas Gulf Coast is South Padre Island, ranked as one of best beaches in the country, and a 85 couldn't come close to getting there. I doubt there is a popular California beach that is out of reach of Teslas.

Have you written to the supercharger team? They're pretty receptive. If you help them find a place, it'd help your chances greatly.

The supercharger map isn't set in stone, as we've seen from several that were never on the map suddenly popping up, and some disappearing.

Don I am heading to Carlisle tomorrow, PM me any places that need scouting, I would be happy to swing by and take a look!

ryju3abe.jpg

Unfortunately I'll be on vacation and can't make it. :(

Dallas to Oaklahoma City is 206 miles.... Doable.

Agree - but just barely. Even though Corsicana to Huntsville is 116 miles, I always go to at least 160. Running 75+mph drops your effective about 30 miles over that distance and add to it any rain or wind and you are cutting it pretty close. Especially rain. I have arrived at Huntsville on 0 twice when putting 150 on the range.

I am afraid that 206 would be a press - you could not do 75, which puts you slow and add an of the elements and it is pucker time. Certainly "doable" I agree, but what I like about the placement of the triangle chargers here is that you can give it the beans and not worry. Many of us in Texas have many opinions on where they need to be placed - particularly north of Dallas and towards Texarkana ... but that's a story to be discussed at another time.

- Most people want to do the right thing -- if their car is done charging, they'll free up the stall. To help, it'd be nice to have a text alert that could be sent to your phone when your car is finished.

Well said, JeffE. Implementing a technology that enables people to be courteous and cooperative is amazing.

This lends support to the most important new feature I'd like to see added to the Mobile App: push notifications when charge state changes, or reaches a level the owner sets.

Now imagine if you knew the car was fully charged or stopped charging, but had no way of contacting the owner to move it... how frustrated would you be with that owner? That could lead to trouble. Better to politely inform the owner who can do something about it than inform everyone else - without context! - that the owner is failing to be courteous. I would rather NOT have the notification of everyone else's charge status at SC locations.

Gilroy's solution also works: more bays.

Would be interesting to see those usage numbers divided by the number of chargers at each location.

I actually did the math on that last year and the results weren't that exciting. Barstow is the first 4 stall station on the list and it is notoriously crowded (exacerbated by being 90 kW) and in need of expansion. Sundebru (Cinderella), Norway is also only four stalls as well - perhaps it also needs expansion. I would guess Detroit Lake, OR would be among the least utilized with 6 stalls not on a major route.