Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's spectacular news about the increased SpC network throughout the European market. Portugal-to-Poland, Finland-to-Firenze, Ireland to Illyria. (and beyond, but my alliteration fails).

I wonder how the EU's intertied system of regulatory bailiwicks compares to what occurs in the US? Only a heinously dedicated policy+local jurisdictional+familiarity-with-bureaucratese wonk could know for sure - and surely there aren't any of those on this forum, are there? Or even within the employment pool at TMC?

Perhaps the best they can hope for in the US is to shame Jurisdiction C with the welcome and approval and success they have received in Jurisdictions A and B. That ought to work...in some locations.

That's spectacular news about the increased SpC network throughout the European market. Portugal-to-Poland, Finland-to-Firenze, Ireland to Illyria. (and beyond, but my alliteration fails).

I wonder how the EU's intertied system of regulatory bailiwicks compares to what occurs in the US? Only a heinously dedicated policy+local jurisdictional+familiarity-with-bureaucratese wonk could know for sure - and surely there aren't any of those on this forum, are there? Or even within the employment pool at TMC?

Perhaps the best they can hope for in the US is to shame Jurisdiction C with the welcome and approval and success they have received in Jurisdictions A and B. That ought to work...in some locations.

Tesla have already got a taste of this in France, Belgium and Uk. Small temporary 2 stands chargers on a pallet are the norm in these countries. I guess local regulations are to blame. I think Tesla planners are slowly learning to handle it.

Another data point: heard from an engineer who works on the supercharger network out in the field that there are plans for a major surge of activity towards the end of the year in building out more U.S. superchargers.

My interpretation, which is based on pure speculation, is that maybe Tesla is trying to keep its margins respectable in Q3, and holding off until Q4 for a big splurge of activity to construct new supercharger sites. I also assume that this tidbit of info, if true, means they probably won't make their 2014 map goals, and that some/many of the long-awaited sites (me, I'm waiting for Albuquerque/Santa Fe!) will slip into 2015. As we all probably have been expecting for months... sigh

Another data point: heard from an engineer who works on the supercharger network out in the field that there are plans for a major surge of activity towards the end of the year in building out more U.S. superchargers.

My interpretation, which is based on pure speculation, is that maybe Tesla is trying to keep its margins respectable in Q3, and holding off until Q4 for a big splurge of activity to construct new supercharger sites. I also assume that this tidbit of info, if true, means they probably won't make their 2014 map goals, and that some/many of the long-awaited sites (me, I'm waiting for Albuquerque/Santa Fe!) will slip into 2015. As we all probably have been expecting for months... sigh

To meet the 2014 map goal of 213 SuperChargers in North America, they will need to light up 105 new SCs in the next 18 weeks. Or 5.8 a week. Since Feb 22, they have pretty steadily averaged 1.23 a week. I think getting to 140 is a lot more likely than 213 by Dec 31.

To meet the 2014 map goal of 213 SuperChargers in North America, they will need to light up 105 new SCs in the next 18 weeks. Or 5.8 a week. Since Feb 22, they have pretty steadily averaged 1.23 a week. I think getting to 140 is a lot more likely than 213 by Dec 31.

Tesla lit up 37 new Super Chargers in December 2013 and January 2014. I could see 80 to 100 additional Super Chargers in the US before January 1, 2015:

Tesla Supercharger network - Page 388

Tesla lit up 37 new Super Chargers in December 2013 and January 2014. I could see 80 to 100 additional Super Chargers in the US before January 1, 2015:

Tesla Supercharger network - Page 388

I'm glad you are optimistic but history isn't on your side. If they do an end of year push like last year, they might get to 160. In the 4 months ending on Jan 30, 2014, they put in 50 SCs. That was the most productive period for them. Less than half of what they need to make the 2014 map. One could argue they are better at it this time around but we will need to start seeing a major uptick this week to even get close to 213. Also, in early Fall 2013, they were at about double the rate that they are now.

I find it rather humorous that this time last year there were almost identical discussions. (100 was the number and it took another 6 months to get there).

I have said this before:

Expect many new Supercharger stations to go live in the US and in Canada in Q4 2014 and in Q1 2015. On average 15 new live Supercharger stations per month (or inbetween 10 and 20 per month).

Very nice sharp pics! Would be great to get more of those individual Supercharger 24 hour summaries.

Even the top 10 are interesting. #10 is used 25% as much as #1 (894/3496). Although by looking at the list (with the blue bars underneath the locations) you wouldn't think so. The bars make it seem way more lopsided.

Odd timing of the picture too. Has #109 in NA. Yesterday we went from 108 to 110 with Toronto and Truckee. Looks like Truckee is on the map but not Toronto. Wonder how long that gap was.

Even the top 10 are interesting. #10 is used 25% as much as #1 (894/3496). Although by looking at the list (with the blue bars underneath the locations) you wouldn't think so.

Good observation. However, I would imagine Fremont will always have the most energy usage because (for the foreseeable future) it has the largest concentration of Teslas in the immediate area. Also, the top ten is for the last 24 hours. I'm interested to see if that list fluctuates from week-to-week, month-to-month, quarter-to-quarter, etc.

Good observation. However, I would imagine Fremont will always have the most energy usage because (for the foreseeable future) it has the largest concentration of Teslas in the immediate area. Also, the top ten is for the last 24 hours. I'm interested to see if that list fluctuates from week-to-week, month-to-month, quarter-to-quarter, etc.

That would be interesting indeed.

Also, the top ten is for the last 24 hours. I'm interested to see if that list fluctuates from week-to-week, month-to-month, quarter-to-quarter, etc.

I'm sure it fluctuates quite a bit. For example, in the winter the SCs in Norway are likely used less because there could be significantly less long distance driving in the winter compared to the summer.

SC use in California in urban areas like Fremont and Hawthorne probably doesn't vary much by season since the climate is mild.