Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Respectfully, then if you want to look at the traffic aspect, add the Texas factor in too.
I can cherry-pick numbers and data all day long, but I am not going there.
Arkansas, Mississippi have ZERO Superchargers.
Do the math with that if you choose to find some patience.

Looking at the vast UN-SERVED areas and the vast quantity of Superchargers California currently has, and will shortly have another 10, California is over-supplied.
That is the very simple fact.
Put the next 10 Superchargers in the SouthEast, and NOT in California, then California is not over-supplied.
Please look at this globally, or at least from the Rest of the U.S. point of view, not based on LA or even LA basin or Southern California.

Many of the rest of us have OUT-of-the way Options, NO Options or very limited Options regarding Superchargers and long distance travel.
That is what they are intended to be used for.

Depends how you calculate underserved. You're measuring black and white, individual basis. I'd measure on a gray, market basis, and therefore not having the stats available I find it hard to judge, but with CA being a large part of the market, it's not surprising that they'd need more Superchargers.

A challenge with covering the empty spaces in central USA is that multiple Supercharger locations are needed to make the route, and where possible Tesla will also want to find good sites at intersections that help complete the map, not just serve a single route.

Not sure comparing amount of SC's based on how many sales were in that state is a good way to compare.

I was under the impression that they were being placed mostly for the number of traveling MS's through that given location. There are no data available to us on that. When I see a SC being built close to another, I surmise that there is a need for that 'corridor' to accommodate travelers . (And yes, locals use it - some legitimately - some cuz they are too cheap to realize that charging at home is not that expensive.)

Want to complain about SC congestion? Look at Germany as an example (about the size in area as Texas). But a closer inspection shows they are there for travelers.

Another way to look at this might be in terms of revenue. We can assume that ~$2k of each car is going towards the Supercharger network. That may be a naive assumption, and I'm certain it's nothing close to a hard rule, but it's the best we've got. If a Supercharger station costs some $250k to build (again, speculation), then it should support 125 existing owners or entice 125 new owners in order to offset its construction. By that logic, California would still be underserved, as there are probably 25k+ existing owners there, or enough to fund an obscene 200 Superchargers in their state alone.

...... snip....... there was only ONE Tesla registered in Alaska in 2014. Ugh, if true. The 43 total registered beats Wyoming, but that's no consolation.

There are a LOT of well-heeled Alaskans who would purchase a Model S - and even more so a Model X - were the infrastructure extant........ snip....... .
of course, it's impossible to "put your money where your mouth is" so to speak. Meaning that for those who truly believe tons of buyers will come out of the woodwork in to the states of Arkansas Montana North South Dakota Wyoming Alaska (poorer states in the nation) ..... if only there were superchargers abounding. Mind you, we just sold our last property in the Flathead Valley, Kalispell, Montana. IOW, after experiencing life in such areas as well as relatives and friends in such areas, we speak with some sense of personal experience when it comes to grasping the realities of wealth distriburion the above states.
Yet surprisingly many go on about how we supposedly need superchargers from Florida to Alaska (for example) to make that drive. Really? .... Really? Before making such statements, maybe one ought to Google the uber low % of people across the entire nation that ever even make such and arduous drive. Then multiply that overly low number by the less than 1% of all electric vehicle drivers in the USA. Then multiply that decimal by the even lower percentage that can afford a large traction pack electric vehicle. At that junction, I hope those folks grasp what kind of expense that would be per person - for that uber minority that would do such a drive.
What with Tesla having to potentially deal with future competition from BMW, Nissan, Apple, Chevy, et al, and having to build out infrastructure where already MILLIONS of people live, and having to to spend loads of dough on the model 3 R&D, and meet payroll, do you really think that in the near future, that such an undertakung would be money well spent? Call me wacky, but I have a strong suspicion that the proponents of such notions are not business owners that have to make financial decisions on a daily or yearly basis. Our company does - & if someone on our payroll suggested such a notion under present/flimsey economuc conditions, they would be looking for a new job in short order. Sorry to be a fantasy Buster, but munds are free to disagree - so carry on.

Last edited:
Yet surprisingly many go on about how we supposedly need superchargers from Florida to Alaska (for example) to make that drive. Really? .... Really? Before making such statements, maybe one ought to Google the uber low % of people across the entire nation that ever even make such and arduous drive.

The problem here is that you're comparing ICE driver behaviour to Tesla driver behaviour. From what I've read in the forum, Tesla drivers tend to drive quite a bit more after they get their Tesla (so far my average is about 20% more), and go on far more road trips because driving the Tesla is actually fun and relaxing on a road trip, rather than a chore--at least when you have Superchargers.

I think you have a case that folks who haven't had an electric car won't all of a sudden buy one because there is a Supercharger, but building out the network will allow those with Teslas to drive in those areas easily, then the locals will see them, and then they'll purchase.

The problem here is that you're comparing ICE driver behaviour to Tesla driver behaviour. From what I've read in the forum, Tesla drivers tend to drive quite a bit more after they get their Tesla (so far my average is about 20% more), and go on far more road trips because driving the Tesla is actually fun and relaxing on a road trip, rather than a chore--at least when you have Superchargers.
+100% since I switched to a Tesla. In 12 years of living in Oregon and traveling to CA several times a year I never once thought of driving there. Did it twice in my Tesla.
Yada, yada. My points is, you're spot on correct, jerry33

I think you have a case that folks who haven't had an electric car won't all of a sudden buy one because there is a Supercharger, but building out the network will allow those with Teslas to drive in those areas easily, then the locals will see them, and then they'll purchase.

This ties in to the quote from Elon some time ago that superchargers are a marketing expense to Tesla. They draw attention to the brand and the vehicles.

I'll not give a blanket denial to Hill's comments, but part of the refutations of his view include
(1) there was - perhaps two years ago - significant enthusiasm in this forum for the possibility of driving to Alaska. And it doesn't have to be from Key West....Seattle is okay, too....
(2) in my specific post above, I made no reference to driving to Alaska; rather, around it
(3) I remain old-school (i.e., from 24-36 months ago) in thinking the main purpose of SpCs was to facilitate long-distance travel, rather than rattling around central California

* A specific fallacy of the comments, though, was to place Alaska among the "poorer sates of the nation". Oops - we place either first, second or third amongst the fifty states in effectively any measurement of wealth.

Some day, some day.

OK if Superchargers are a marketing tool ( and I agree they are ) then all 50 states should have at least one or 2 for sure. This should be first priority so that everyone in USA would have one close enough to see how great they are. After that it is just connect the dots for the best road trips in that area.

I would also like to say that I think what Tesla has done on SC network in the last 3 years is incredible. No one else is even trying to compete with that.

OK if Superchargers are a marketing tool ( and I agree they are ) then all 50 states should have at least one or 2 for sure. This should be first priority so that everyone in USA would have one close enough to see how great they are. After that it is just connect the dots for the best road trips in that area.

I think Tesla has changed their marketing strategy, and is no longer trying to market Teslas everywhere in the country.

It's a lot more important to someone thinking about buying a car like a Tesla, that can only be fixed by Tesla, that there are service centers available nearby, or inexpensive ranger or valet service available than that there are superchargers nearby. Until recently Tesla made up for the lack of service centers for customers who lived too great a distance from them with the $100 ranger / valet service. But when Tesla did away with that, and switched to a policy of $3 per mile (charged one-way) it seems they were making a conscious decision not to want customers who lived any distance from service centers.

I could be mistaken, but that is my take on it.

The problem here is that you're comparing ICE driver behaviour to Tesla driver behaviour. From what I've read in the forum, Tesla drivers tend to drive quite a bit more after they get their Tesla..... snip...... .
That's great ... 'the forum'. No need to burst any bubbles here .... but we 'the forum' are so far from any hint of the norm that it's hard to estimate. For example - the folk on the Prius boards recently passed 100,000 members (after 10+ production years) . Actual Prius owners though? Countless millions. It'd be dishonest (or at least arrogant) to presume that 1% or less on the boards are a fair sampling of the whole. Perhaps if someone could find even 100 hand wavers .... even on this board ... that there's a compelling need to load up the outlying areas like Alaska - the Dakotas, etc .... then one might at least make a flimsy argument of the need to put up super charges way out there, in such places - even in the here and now. Tesla hasn't yet filled the gaps through places like Arkansas (where more folks per sq mile actually live) - where a better argument might be viable for SC urgency .

Last edited: