Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could understand a few in central London, but in Exeter?
The two Exeter locations are 2 stalls each. I think Tesla made the decision to use two sites where they could leverage existing electrical service for a single Supercharger cabinet serving two stalls instead of one site that would require a completely new electrical service for a 4-8 stall installation.

See this is a perfect example. You are concerned about a 30-60 minute detour but the rest of the country has 300-600 mile detours.

But the number of drivers in California is way more than that of almost any other place. That would mean that 100 drivers per day would have to take that hypothetical 30-60 minute detour while just a handful of drivers out in the middle of nowhere needs to do a 300-600 mile detour a few times per year.

Update including October 6th, 2015:

North America
2012: 0 + 0 + 2 + 7 = 9
2013: 0 + 2 + 11 + 28 = 41
2014: 32 + 16 + 19 + 35 = 102
2015: 42 + 19 + 22 + 0 = 83
Total: 9 + 41 + 102 + 83 = 235

Europe
2013: 0 + 0 + 6 + 8 = 14
2014: 0 + 10 + 44 + 54 = 108
2015: 19 + 19 + 32 + 1 = 71
Total: 14 + 108 + 71 = 193

Asia Pacific (Currently: China, Japan, Australia)
2014: 0 + 3 + 16 + 39 = 58
2015: 15 + 5 + 15 + 0 = 35
Total: 58 + 35 = 93

Global total: 235 + 193 + 93 = 521

2012 Global total: 9 + 0 + 0 = 9
2013 Global total: 41 + 14 + 0 = 55
2014 Global total: 102 + 108 + 58 = 268
2015 Global total so far: 83 + 71 + 35 = 189

Q1 2013 total: 0 + 0 + 0 = 0
Q2 2013 total: 2 + 0 + 0 = 2
Q3 2013 total: 11 + 6 + 0 = 17
Q4 2013 total: 28 + 8 + 0 = 36

Q1 2014 total: 32 + 0 + 0 = 32
Q2 2014 total: 16 + 10 + 3 = 29
Q3 2014 total: 19 + 44 + 16 = 79
Q4 2014 total: 35 + 54 + 39 = 128

H1 2014: 32 + 29 = 61
H2 2014: 79 + 128 = 207

Q1 2015 total: 42 + 19 + 15 = 76
Q2 2015 total: 19 + 19 + 5 = 43
Q3 2015 total: 22 + 32 + 15 = 69
Q4 2015 (so far): 0 + 1 + 0 = 1 (in 6 days)

H1 2015: 76 + 43 = 119 (in 181 days)
H2 2015 (so far): 22 + 33 + 15 = 70 (in 98 days)

"189 new live Supercharger stations in 279 days (in 2015). The average is more than 0.6774 per day (in 2015)". That looks like the going average these days. The average in 2014 was 0.7342 (= 268/365). And that still is extraordinary progress, although the average in 2015 (so far) is lower than the average in 2014.

Update including October 17th, 2015:

North America
2012: 0 + 0 + 2 + 7 = 9
2013: 0 + 2 + 11 + 28 = 41
2014: 32 + 16 + 19 + 35 = 102
2015: 42 + 19 + 22 + 4 = 87
Total: 9 + 41 + 102 + 87 = 239

Europe
2013: 0 + 0 + 6 + 8 = 14
2014: 0 + 10 + 44 + 54 = 108
2015: 19 + 19 + 32 + 5 = 75
Total: 14 + 108 + 75 = 197

Asia Pacific (Currently: China, Japan, Australia)
2014: 0 + 3 + 16 + 39 = 58
2015: 15 + 5 + 15 + 0 = 35
Total: 58 + 35 = 93

Global total: 239 + 197 + 93 = 529

2012 Global total: 9 + 0 + 0 = 9
2013 Global total: 41 + 14 + 0 = 55
2014 Global total: 102 + 108 + 58 = 268
2015 Global total so far: 87 + 75 + 35 = 197

Q1 2013 total: 0 + 0 + 0 = 0
Q2 2013 total: 2 + 0 + 0 = 2
Q3 2013 total: 11 + 6 + 0 = 17
Q4 2013 total: 28 + 8 + 0 = 36

Q1 2014 total: 32 + 0 + 0 = 32
Q2 2014 total: 16 + 10 + 3 = 29
Q3 2014 total: 19 + 44 + 16 = 79
Q4 2014 total: 35 + 54 + 39 = 128

H1 2014: 32 + 29 = 61
H2 2014: 79 + 128 = 207

Q1 2015 total: 42 + 19 + 15 = 76
Q2 2015 total: 19 + 19 + 5 = 43
Q3 2015 total: 22 + 32 + 15 = 69 (in 92 days)
Q4 2015 (so far): 4 + 5 + 0 = 9 (in 17 days)

H1 2015: 76 + 43 = 119 (in 181 days)
H2 2015 (so far): 26 + 37 + 15 = 78 (in 109 days)

"197 new live Supercharger stations in 290 days (in 2015). The average is more than 0.6793 per day (in 2015)". That looks like the going average these days. The average in 2014 was 0.7342 (= 268/365). And that still is extraordinary progress, although the average in 2015 (so far) is lower than the average in 2014.

But the number of drivers in California is way more than that of almost any other place. That would mean that 100 drivers per day would have to take that hypothetical 30-60 minute detour while just a handful of drivers out in the middle of nowhere needs to do a 300-600 mile detour a few times per year.
Not to mention that the gaps that have drawn complaints will likely be filled in over the next year or two, making this issue moot.

- - - Updated - - -

That is true. They should have skipped Tooele/Lake Point. Not sure what they were thinking there.

Idaho Falls would have been a lot more useful.
I was disappointed when I saw Tooele go in because it would have been quite inconvenient for north/south travel on I-15/I-84. The SLC location is much better.

Then I see you bought a 60. Well, your choice, I guess. Seems like Tesla must build more superchargers to support people's decisions to take long drives in a mid range car. But a 30 minute detour is not a great penalty, and probably doesn't happen very often. Glad you aren't one to complain.

In two and a half years, I've only had one time where the range on the 85 would have been useful. (On a trip back from Yosemite) In my experience, the difference in range between the 60 and the 85 appears marginal and the utility greatly over-exagerrated. It only helps in very specific and infrequent use cases.

For example, I've driven from LA to Portland and LA to Napa, and back. Frequently, I'd arrive at a SC site with my 60 at about the same time as an 85. We both take about the same amount of time to re-charge and then we're off. At the next SC station, we'd both pull up again at about the same time. We take about the same time to re-charge and then we're off.

I'm from Turkey and have been waiting Tesla's Turkish initiation for years. I've been waiting so I can purchase a Model S with its support, service centres. Because Turkey is not in the EU importing one on your own means is risky. I was very excited when Istanbul was in the list of Superchargers for 2015 map. 9 cities are with superchargers for 2016 even! Now we're 2 months away from the end of 2015. Tesla is still 4 more superchargers away from reaching us.

Senj SuC in Croatia opened last week and another one in south east Croatia is under construction. That still leaves us 2 in Serbia, 1 in Bulgaria, 1 in Turkish-Bulgarian border for them to get to Istanbul. There have been 4 different job applications for Istanbul since March 2015 in their career site but no other sign. Right now there are none. Anyone have information or tips on how to follow Tesla to get information? The demand is incredible. Also, they never had any job listings for Croatia or any other country yet they had Regional Delivery Manager, Service Manager, Field Support Engineer listing for Turkey.

That coupled with 9 cities in 2016 brings up to mind of them considering Turkey as a second hub for European market. Factor in high demand for luxury vehicles like Model S in Turkey, very high gas prices, taxes for ICE vehicles going all the way up to 145% before VAT for 2.0 liters and above engines vs. 3% for EVs, Turkey being in a good geographical location for that side of Europe, having water ways and having job applications all the way form March 2015. Seems rational to me. I wish there was a way to get information.

What do you guys think?

In two and a half years, I've only had one time where the range on the 85 would have been useful.
For example, I've driven from LA to Portland and LA to Napa, and back. Frequently, I'd arrive at a SC site with my 60 at about the same time as an 85. We both take about the same amount of time to re-charge and then we're off. At the next SC station, we'd both pull up again at about the same time. We take about the same time to re-charge and then we're off.

That right there's a testimonial of good SC coverage.

the number of drivers in California is way more than that of almost any other place. That would mean that 100 drivers per day would have to take that hypothetical 30-60 minute detour

The need for sufficient support where it's heavily used is not in dispute. In your house, by way of analogy, you don't want a breaker/conductor that's so thin that there are times that charging the car pops the breaker (delay/inconvenience). Got it. Size the capacity for the job. But on that same hand, you wouldn't plan to support HVAC and a water heater and a dryer on that same circuit long-term either. You'd get overload and have to defer drying laundry when you have a priority car charge to do. So, best practice, you relegate the clothes drying to the laundry room, and "build" a car charge circuit sufficient for car charging, you don't call in a sparky to upgrade, overbuild the car charge circuit for HPWC+HVAC+laundry... Hey, if your HPWC gets a special kWh rate, doing so would even be an ethical consideration.

while just a handful of drivers out in the middle of nowhere needs to do a 300-600 mile detour a few times per year.

To continue the analogy. Besides having adequate "conductors" in place for large loads, another necessity is getting the power to the other side of the house. Which means bridging [conduit] across "nowhere" areas [nobody lives in the attic] to make it possible to get between "somewheres." Better practice than schlepping and plugging in extension cords to use the second bedroom or have light on the patio. Even if it's not daily that you do those.

Check my location: Not In Cal. Regardless, I am an advocate for beefing up the capacity where the sites are congested. Very important. I agree it's more necessary where there are many Teslas.
But "congested" = filled with travelers, the garageless (aka hi-occ condo/apartment), and those that need a quick turnaround. Sure, even those driving their personal car for hire, aka the "Bjørns" and "Übers." GASP! No really, IOW when it's about saving valuable time, not misering money.
I also assume owners are already setting an example of disconnecting their own more elective, nice-to-have session when the site approaches capacity. Like we do here. Yes, we do. We saw San Marcos' 5 stalls fill up yesterday but it wasn't going to cause any new arrivals a delay because drivers with lower need either unplugged or stood by to vacate the stall.
Got Congestion? Absolutely, light up more stalls at more sites. But in parallel, set a good example for newer owners still in the "gee-whiz" phase of omg-phree-phuel-4-teh-car'z-lyfe.

TL;DR - peer-to-peer education combats hoarding-related congestion.
TL;DR II - "Flyover Country" is not actually expressing CalifEnvy, but rather is worthy of becoming Driveover Country.

See The Letter To Locals as a clue (to Tesla Motor's intent). It's the official message. They are not being passive about that potential cause of congestion, nor should we.
All of us can reinforce TM's abuse-prevention outreach and accept that a stall saved is a stall earned.
Or maybe Waste Not, Wait Not?

Last edited:
Check my location: Not In Cal. Regardless, I am an advocate for beefing up the capacity where the sites are congested. Very important. I agree it's more necessary where there are many Teslas.

I can certainly agree with this point of view as well. Having to wait 20-30 minutes instead of 5 minutes is seen as one of the few downsides of an EV. (Easily mitigated, but still). If an owner gets to a SC and has to wait for a while before starting charging that could be very bad PR for Tesla.

That is true. They should have skipped Tooele/Lake Point. Not sure what they were thinking there.

Idaho Falls would have been a lot more useful.
The speed limit west of Lake Point to Wendover is 80 mph and the traffic averages 82-84, and combined with HVAC use and/or some headwinds or degradation, I could easily see 60s needing Lake Point from Wendover or vice versa. Also, Tesla will eventually need/want to add SCs in Wells and probably Battle Mountain, allowing more options by 85s to skip some SCs (like Wendover).

No argument that they should get Idaho Falls (and Pocatello, Jackson, Moran, W. Yellowstone and Gardiner) open before Memorial Day next year. They should have had I-15 open this year so people coming up I-15 could easily get to/from Grand Teton/Yellowstone.

I'm from Turkey and have been waiting Tesla's Turkish initiation for years. I've been waiting so I can purchase a Model S with its support, service centres. Because Turkey is not in the EU importing one on your own means is risky. I was very excited when Istanbul was in the list of Superchargers for 2015 map. 9 cities are with superchargers for 2016 even! Now we're 2 months away from the end of 2015. Tesla is still 4 more superchargers away from reaching us.

Senj SuC in Croatia opened last week and another one in south east Croatia is under construction. That still leaves us 2 in Serbia, 1 in Bulgaria, 1 in Turkish-Bulgarian border for them to get to Istanbul. There have been 4 different job applications for Istanbul since March 2015 in their career site but no other sign. Right now there are none. Anyone have information or tips on how to follow Tesla to get information? The demand is incredible. Also, they never had any job listings for Croatia or any other country yet they had Regional Delivery Manager, Service Manager, Field Support Engineer listing for Turkey.

That coupled with 9 cities in 2016 brings up to mind of them considering Turkey as a second hub for European market. Factor in high demand for luxury vehicles like Model S in Turkey, very high gas prices, taxes for ICE vehicles going all the way up to 145% before VAT for 2.0 liters and above engines vs. 3% for EVs, Turkey being in a good geographical location for that side of Europe, having water ways and having job applications all the way form March 2015. Seems rational to me. I wish there was a way to get information.

What do you guys think?

The delays in expanding into Turkey might have something to do with geopolitics. Istanbul hasn't made any headlines for terrorist attacks recently, but there was a terrible one in Ankara in the last week and Syria is a complete mess. Anything American is a potential target in the region and Tesla might be thinking if they had a business presence in Turkey, it might draw terrorist attention.

Of course is EVs were more prevalent, one of the major factors driving the anti-American terrorists would go away, but that's one of those ironic things.

Tesla might also be having problems with public officials getting into Turkey. They have had problems in many jurisdictions including some US states.

In two and a half years, I've only had one time where the range on the 85 would have been useful. (On a trip back from Yosemite) In my experience, the difference in range between the 60 and the 85 appears marginal and the utility greatly over-exagerrated. It only helps in very specific and infrequent use cases.

Depends on where you live. My car was delivered about the same time as yours. I wouldn't have been able to do a trip down I-95 from my home with a 60 for more than a year. Even with the 85 I was doing range charges and driving below the speed limit in winter weather. Some folks did it in a 60 but had to rely on 30A charging to bridge the gaps. There are plenty of places where those gaps still exist for a 60. What about superchargers to enable travel for them?

What Tesla has done with the network, globally, is amazing. They've delivered a huge number of stations and enabled long distance travel across 4 continents. But they're taking a while to fill in the North American gaps outside of California.

Sure, as long as we recognize that the "middle of nowhere" routes being recently discussed are radiating from the fourth and fifth most populous cities in the country. They may never be important from a transcontinental perspective, but they are extremely important regionally.

Speaking of regional travel, Tesla should watch the activity at the Perry, OK supercharger on the 24th. I expect it will set a record.

Speaking of regional travel, Tesla should watch the activity at the Perry, OK supercharger on the 24th. I expect it will set a record.

Does that mean some people will actually have to wait at a Supercharger?
Oh, my.
Who would have thunk it?

I've seen it happen at San Marcos, Waco and Albany, NY.
But I just cannot imagine full Superchargers and people queuing up to charge at Perry, OK.
...probably just a bunch of local retirees abusing the privilege.

Sure, as long as we recognize that the "middle of nowhere" routes being recently discussed are radiating from the fourth and fifth most populous cities in the country. They may never be important from a transcontinental perspective, but they are extremely important regionally.

I may regret this. Why the 24th in Perry, OK?

Sure, as long as we recognize that the "middle of nowhere" routes being recently discussed are radiating from the fourth and fifth most populous cities in the country.

Houston is fourth, but San Antonio is seventh. But that's besides the point. Population is nearly meaningless alone because Texas cities are freakin' huge. If you draw a city border large enough, you will get huge populations. If you look at density at a city-, county-, metropolitan-, or state-level, Texas is nowhere near the top of any lists. Total population, population density, and the number of current and near-future Tesla drivers is what I imagine Tesla is using to determine where to put Supercharger locations. California has many of the most populous cities, many of the most populous metropolitan areas, very densely populated at the city, county, metro, and state levels, and has the largest population at the state level. On top of that, it is home to, by far, the most Tesla drivers in the world. This was always true... even before the Model S and Superchargers.

I'm absolutely positive that no matter what they do, many people will complain and want more. Adding Superchargers in one location doesn't take away anything from another, so I'm not sure why there is so much bitterness. We should all take a few steps back and look at the Supercharger progress around the world and just remember where we were today in 2012. It was almost exactly three years ago that Tesla announced the Superchargers. If anyone is not impressed, then it's really quite unfair to Tesla. The progress has been tremendous.

One more thought... Maybe if Tesla didn't have to spend resources fighting for the right to sell in places like Texas, they'll have more resources to place more Supercharger locations.

Houston is fourth, but San Antonio is seventh. But that's besides the point. Population is nearly meaningless alone because Texas cities are freakin' huge. If you draw a city border large enough, you will get huge populations. If you look at density at a city-, county-, metropolitan-, or state-level, Texas is nowhere near the top of any lists. Total population, population density, and the number of current and near-future Tesla drivers is what I imagine Tesla is using to determine where to put Supercharger locations. California has many of the most populous cities, many of the most populous metropolitan areas, very densely populated at the city, county, metro, and state levels, and has the largest population at the state level. On top of that, it is home to, by far, the most Tesla drivers in the world. This was always true... even before the Model S and Superchargers.

I'm absolutely positive that no matter what they do, many people will complain and want more. Adding Superchargers in one location doesn't take away anything from another, so I'm not sure why there is so much bitterness. We should all take a few steps back and look at the Supercharger progress around the world and just remember where we were today in 2012. It was almost exactly three years ago that Tesla announced the Superchargers. If anyone is not impressed, then it's really quite unfair to Tesla. The progress has been tremendous.

One more thought... Maybe if Tesla didn't have to spend resources fighting for the right to sell in places like Texas, they'll have more resources to place more Supercharger locations.

According to Wikipedia, the Dallas metro area is the 12th densest metro area in the US. Los Angeles is #2 and the S Bay Area #7. It's not as densely packed as many metro areas, but there is some density there. Other metro areas like San Diego, Houston, and Seattle don't make the list of the top 16.