Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped at the supercharger at Harris ranch. The guy with the key to the roadster charger told me there is going to be a lot of cars at the supercharger on Friday. Is there some sort of model s event at Harris ranch on Friday?
That's why I'm going to take delivery on Friday and drive back on Saturday. Harris Ranch only has one SuperCharger port. Tejon Ranch will eventually have six but it looks like only one will be operational by Friday.

I stopped at the supercharger at Harris ranch. The guy with the key to the roadster charger told me there is going to be a lot of cars at the supercharger on Friday. Is there some sort of model s event at Harris ranch on Friday?

See post #817 a page back, it's the first day the SuperChargers are officially working, I imagine they might have some type of "ribbon cutting" commemorating the event... They need news to post/blog.

From the shareholder letter:

Tesla’s Supercharger Network: Changing the Game
In September, we unveiled our Supercharger network. Our internally developed and manufactured Supercharger is substantially more powerful than any charging technology to date, providing almost 100 kilowatts of direct DC power to Model S. This enables Model S owners to regain up to 165 miles of range in 30 minutes with the 85 kWh car, about the time needed for travelers to refresh or grab a meal. This marks an inflection point in electric vehicle convenience for long distance traveling. Our initial Supercharger network already covers all common long-distance routes in California, enabling convenient and free driving throughout the state, as well as to Las Vegas or Lake Tahoe. East coast travel all the way from Boston to Washington, DC, will be enabled next month. Recently, one of our Los Angeles based customers was so excited to take delivery of his Model S that he hopped on a plane to our factory in the San Francisco Bay area, took delivery of his car and used the Supercharger network to cover almost 400 miles needed to get back home, all in the same day!
Over time, all Superchargers will be equipped with a solar panel canopy, enabling Tesla to provide electricity for long distance travel at negligible marginal cost. This enables us to offer free, unlimited access to the network. For the first time, recharging our cars can be done at zero cost to the driver and the environment! This can
save a Model S owner thousands of dollars over their ownership period.
We are planning to methodically expand the Supercharger network. By the end of next year, we plan to install Superchargers in high traffic corridors across the continental United States, enabling fast, free, purely electric travel from Vancouver to San Diego, Miami to Montreal and Los Angeles to New York

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/2155661696x0x611344/42cb80fa-6f64-4e48-93ff-2da29de21acc/Q3%202012%20Shareholder%20Letter%20Final.pdf

Yes, though I don't buy his reasoning at all. Of course people who buy a 40kWh pack would like to access the network and take longer trips, the real reason they can't is that the pack can't take it, and Tesla would have to build more chargers to service the larger volume of vehicles.

With this news it looks like there will be a viable network by the time we get our X. I'd really like to see one in White River Junction.

Does anyone know if they've thought about where the one between Boston and NYC will be? The original position was near New London which really isn't the right place IMHO.

Great news re East Coast supercharging -- Boston to DC enabled next month! My hope for the East Coast is that Florida follows shortly thereafter, and then the two networks get linked through the Carolinas.

Yes, we hope so too. However, our concern is that there is no SolarCity presence in Florida. We hope that Tesla will start right away to work with local solar contractors to build out the network in a timely manner and not necessarily wait for the expansion of SolarCity into Florida and the Carolinas.

Larry

Great news re East Coast supercharging -- Boston to DC enabled next month! My hope for the East Coast is that Florida follows shortly thereafter, and then the two networks get linked through the Carolinas.

And Atlanta! I just need a spot in Augusta/Columbia (I-20), and Greenville/Spartanburg (I-85) and I am set for all my road trip driving. Maybe a route down I-75 in the future as I do still know people in Tampa.

Heck if I get a hookup from Atlanta to DC via I-85 then I would probably drive up to Boston to prove once and for all that EV is the wave of the future. Although I think I finally have him convinced.

I originally thought Supercharging was just a PR move. Then they did their reveal, and well demoed usable stations. That got me to 85kWh from 40. Now they say they are weeks away from Boston to DC (sure it is probably just 3 or 4 stations) but I am starting to think I will have an option along the way to Charlotte in a year or less. And probably about the same time frame to get to I-95 in SC via I-20. I am super psyched about superchargers now.