Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the problem with CHAdeMO as the Tesla standard is that it can't handle enough current. One of the engineers said the connector pins are just too small, so there's really no where to go with it. My understanding is that CHAdeMO tops out at 70 amps, whereas Elon was talking about up to 120 amps IIRC. At the Boston store opening, one of the sales people said there was hope that the 85 kwh pack could be 80% recharged in half an hour by the time we get our X. It would be nice...
The reason they couldn't use the SAE plug is that the standard wasn't agreed till last month. Hopefully, there will be an adapter forthcoming from Tesla.

Yes, I know, and made the same argument myself. At the same time, I can appreciate the importance of a universal standard.

Yes, I know, and made the same argument myself. At the same time, I can appreciate the importance of a universal standard.

Evan,

Realistically, did you seriously expect Tesla to delay the release of the Model S to wait for a viable so-called "univeral standard" to become available that could handle the full capacity requirements of a Model S?

As others have stated its not simply having a "pretty" connector, its having a fully capable and compact connector that doesn't require you to be a weight lifter to wrestle it into the charging port. What bothers me is that Chelsea certainly knows this. Perhaps her objectivity has been adversely affected.

Larry

Last edited:
Evan,

Realistically, did you seriously expect Tesla to delay the release of the Model S to wait for a viable so-called "univeral standard" to become available that could handle the full capacity requirements of a Model S?

As others have stated its not simply having a "pretty" connector, its having a fully capable connector that doesn't require you to be a weight lifter to wrestle it into the charging port. What bothers me is that Chelsea certainly knows this. Perhaps her objectivity has been adversely affected.

Larry

Again, no. I completely understand the decision. Chelsea would have preferred they just went with CHAdeMO for the sake of uniformity, and I can understand her argument.
Look, if Tesla is willing to forego patent claims to its design as a proposed open source universal standard, that would be super with me.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Chelsea would have preferred they just went with CHAdeMO for the sake of uniformity, and I can understand her argument.

I understand the desire for so-called standards too, but I ask you do you wish to wait almost twice as long to obtain a so-called "fast" charge in the interests of "standardization"? What if you have a petite wife who has difficulty in lugging the connector into the charging port? Do you tell her its okay, because its all in the interests of standardization? :wink:

Look, if Tesla is willing to forego patent claims to its design as a proposed open source universal standard, that would be super with me.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

So which other vehicles besides the Rimac might be charging at 90-120 kWh such that as a practical matter an open source would be attractive for them or third parties to pursue?

Larry

Last edited:
Chelsea would have preferred they just went with CHAdeMO for the sake of uniformity, and I can understand her argument.

Not sure about that. Her text seems to equally suggest that the evil but powerful alliance will eventually be the ones to build the "more cars" she wants.

However, I don't think we need "more cars". I think we need Tesla to become profitable and get in a position to be able to build mass-manufacturing for the more affordable Gen 3.

Regarding the connector itself, her claim "form over function" is a red herring. Tesla's connector/SuperCharger concept is simply the only really good one there currently is, and it seems it will continue to be that for a long time.

In consequence, Chelsea's text, and its timing, merely distracts from Tesla's efforts of building a viable EV future.

IMO the Tesla plug is great. One plug for AC and DC (Supercharge) is genious. Others should aspire to this standard. The only problem is it can never support 3-phase charging (Europe) due to the fact that there are only two "large bore" contactors/cables.

I think that any other car maker is free to adopt Tesla's standard...
What "standard"? Is it published somewhere?
I heard stories about how some of the components to build Roadster plugs were almost impossible to obtain because the manufacturer was instructed to only sell them to Tesla...
I am not sure how far they would go, but it seems to be they don't want anyone else to make devices that plug into "their" cars or charging stations.

Not sure about that. Her text seems to equally suggest that the evil but powerful alliance will eventually be the ones to build the "more cars" she wants.

However, I don't think we need "more cars". I think we need Tesla to become profitable and get in a position to be able to build mass-manufacturing for the more affordable Gen 3.

Regarding the connector itself, her claim "form over function" is a red herring. Tesla's connector/SuperCharger concept is simply the only really good one there currently is, and it seems it will continue to be that for a long time.

In consequence, Chelsea's text, and its timing, merely distracts from Tesla's efforts of building a viable EV future.
Episode 115 - The Shape Of Things To Come | What Drives Us
Here's a podcast I participated in with Chelsea this week where we debated the proprietary supercharger issue. Perhaps you'll find it interesting. Should be about 1/3rd to 1/2 the way through if you don't want to listen to the whole show...it is a fun and interesting podcast though.
Episode 115 - The Shape Of Things To Come | What Drives Us

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Since when have the people of planet earth ever had a universal standard for anything? Okay, maybe the waving of a white flag as a sign of surrender.

Well, USB, wifi, gas & diesel nozzles ... It's silly to argue that having a universal standard would not be in the best interest of EVs. Maybe not in the best interest of Tesla, and probably not in the best interest of ideal charging rates right now since we're in an evolutionary stage of development of EVs.

I don't disagree with Tesla's current approach, personally. Indeed it would be silly to produce an inferior product for the sake of an inferior standard. But one day it would be nice to be able to pull up to any high capacity "super charger" station in any brand EV and be able to top up, just as we can do currently with any conventional car (granting some limits to diesel availability).

I would hope that Tesla would be open to working with the industry, eventually, to accomplish this, but the industry has to be willing to work with Tesla, too. And so far, neither seem to be the case.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Well, I love standards - there are so many to choose from!

standards.png

http://xkcd.com/927/

Talked with Chelsea about this at AtlCar SM. My take is she was just saying "Common youz guyz, get your acts together or the EV thing is gonna tank." (my words not hers)

As a barrier to adoption many people put too little emphasis on form as I think Chelsea has here.

The ChADeMO and the dual connector are well beyond the comport of women (or men) with small or frail hands.

Experts who study ergonomics and the way we interact with things know that a better size and feel not only make a customer happy that it is easier to use but that the care that went into thinking about the form must then have been incorporated into the rest of the product. Better product design gives more consumer confidence.

One standard would be ideal but Tesla's solution is better and slicker looking on top of that. Tesla is also paying for the network I believe so restricting access to offer it as a perk to their customers also makes sense.