Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That measly little drive? ;) My folks and I do an equivalent drive almost every year to visit my brother in Wisconsin, hoping to get my Model 3 in time for our next trip up in June, nephew #2 is heading off for the Army. Last summer it was for nephew #1's wedding.

The difference might be we have 3 drivers for the trip.

Takes less than 22 hours with charging in a Model 3. I'd drive over flying. I can take my water bottle into the car, I can take whatever I want with me, I can leave when I want, not when the plane departs, I have my car instead of a rental, it's much cheaper. But most of all, I don't have to deal with TSA BS. But that's just me.

Having someone to go with would make all the difference. Twice, I've done a road trip with a friend, and we shared driving, and the difference was night and day. A long road trip alone is not fun!

22 hours for me, driving alone, would be three days of travel and two nights in hotels. Ain't gonna happen.

Not just you. I used to love to fly, now I avoid it in no small part due to the TSA. Not wanting to be molested aside, their continued 95% failure rate proves giving up the fourth was not worth it.

TSA is not about making planes safer. It's about convincing the public that it's safe to fly again. Between the minor annoyances of the TSA, or spending three days alone in a car and two nights in hotels, I'll fly. Taking my belt and shoes off is just not that big a deal. Not when compared to 22 hours alone in a car and two nights in a hotel.

Reactions: Drucifer
Having someone to go with would make all the difference. Twice, I've done a road trip with a friend, and we shared driving, and the difference was night and day. A long road trip alone is not fun!

22 hours for me, driving alone, would be three days of travel and two nights in hotels. Ain't gonna happen.

TSA is not about making planes safer. It's about convincing the public that it's safe to fly again. Between the minor annoyances of the TSA, or spending three days alone in a car and two nights in hotels, I'll fly. Taking my belt and shoes off is just not that big a deal. Not when compared to 22 hours alone in a car and two nights in a hotel.
I routinely do trips of that length with a one night stop — I did three such trips last year. My limit driving alone is 12-15 hours per day, including the charging stops, which make it a lot more pleasant because I can get out and walk around for awhile. I listen to audio books to make the miles and hours melt away.

If I never get on another airliner, that will be fine with me. The last one, Anchorage to Phoenix, I had the middle seat between two halves of a couple who talked over me and never offered to swap seats. No thanks. Driving a Tesla is fun. Flying is not!

I've done the trip to my brother's many times by myself as a 2 day trip, with a stop in Carthage, MO as the hotels between there and Kansas City are pretty bad. I suspect it'd be a much easier trip with autopilot and the forced breaks every few hours for charging.

TSA is not about making planes safer. It's about convincing the public that it's safe to fly again.
While I agree with the first part, I disagree with the second - it was a way to convince up the public to give up their rights.

Reactions: David99
Takes less than 22 hours with charging in a Model 3. I'd drive over flying. I can take my water bottle into the car, I can take whatever I want with me, I can leave when I want, not when the plane departs, I have my car instead of a rental, it's much cheaper. But most of all, I don't have to deal with TSA BS. But that's just me.

Before 9/11 airport security was annoying, but tolerable. Since then it's become adversive.

Not just you. I used to love to fly, now I avoid it in no small part due to the TSA. Not wanting to be molested aside, their continued 95% failure rate proves giving up the fourth was not worth it.

I have a friend who did what is now done by TSA at SeaTac. She said they tested security every few months and she was the only screener that caught them every time. She is outstanding at seeing patterns and when something it out of a normal pattern, it jumps out at her. She developed it to compensate for her dyslexia. They wanted her to teach other screeners, but she couldn't explain how she did it and it took a lifetime to develop.

They told her that the failure rate was around 90% back then. Airport security is just as bad now as it ever was.

Years ago I met some guy at a convention and we got talking about traveling. He said he traveled a lot for work and it was a mix of driving and flying. When he drove, he carried a handgun in his overnight bag. One time he decided to fly instead of drive at the last minute and forgot to unpack his gun. When he was unpacking in his hotel room he found the gun. It sailed right through security in his carry on. The next day he shipped the gun back to himself on FedEx after wrapping it in some aluminum pie tins to disguise its shape in case the package was x-rayed.

Driving alone long distances alone and flying are both annoying in their own way. Though after taking my first long trip in my Model S (my SO couldn't go and it was a family emergency), I have to say the Model S was a lot more pleasant than any other car I've driven. I had some audio books and some music for whatever my mood was and the supercharger stops were a pleasant way to break up the monotony.

Though if you did want to fly to Arizona, you could always rent a Tesla from Turo. Just checked Phoenix Turo and there are a number of Model S, X, and even a couple of 3s available. There are also many other hybrids and electrics including two i8s.

... My limit driving alone is 12-15 hours per day...

When I was younger I did a 13-hour drive (including stops) and it was hell. Nowadays, 8 hours is my limit. Driving alone, there's no way I could make the AZ trip in 2 days unless I was sharing the drive with someone.

... I had the middle seat ...

Business class. ;)

Before 9/11 airport security was annoying, but tolerable. Since then it's become adversive.

I've never had the TSA be other than courteous towards me. Yes, it's a PITA, but it's mostly just a long wait in line, then walk through the machine. I've been patted down a couple of times, which does not bother me in the least, and I've been wanded a few times after walking through the machine (once I forgot to take my phone out of my pocket). I've never had them be adversarial. It serves no purpose other than to mollify the public, but it's one whole hell of a lot less annoying than taking three days to make a trip that only needs to take six hours.

... if you did want to fly to Arizona, you could always rent a Tesla from Turo. ...

I fly Spokane to Phoenix. In Phoenix a car service picks me up at the airport by prior arrangement and takes me to my hotel in Sedona, with a stop at a grocery store. My hiking guides take me to and from the trailheads, which is much more pleasant than having to drive and meet them there. I have zero need of a car while I'm there.

The TSA is a stupid idea, but a few minutes of nuisance is just not that big a deal.

Once in the boarding area I was called up for extra screening. They had me open my carry-on, and then sit in a separate area with a few others who'd had the same treatment. They were courteous throughout, and then I got to be one of the first 4 or 5 to board the plane. It's not as though I had anything to do while waiting for the plane, and I had a good laugh about it with the others waiting with me.

And some places you can't drive to. I hate flying generally. I hate long driving trips more. (In fact, the TSA is about the least annoying thing about flying.)

When I was younger I did a 13-hour drive (including stops) and it was hell. Nowadays, 8 hours is my limit. Driving alone, there's no way I could make the AZ trip in 2 days unless I was sharing the drive with someone.
I've done 24 hour drives, twice, and that was hell (and probably stupid). Nowadays 12-14 hours in a stretch is about my limit. I do 7 hours 3-5 times a year, including wife, 4 kids under 10, and a dog. I'd take two days on a road trip with kids than 6 hours in a plane with them any day.

But I can still understand where you're coming from. If I had my pick between 2-3 days in a car by myself vs. 6 hours on a plane by myself, and in business class (and cost wasn't a factor), I'd probably pick the plane too.

I've done 24 hour drives, twice, and that was hell (and probably stupid). Nowadays 12-14 hours in a stretch is about my limit. I do 7 hours 3-5 times a year, including wife, 4 kids under 10, and a dog. I'd take two days on a road trip with kids than 6 hours in a plane with them any day.

But I can still understand where you're coming from. If I had my pick between 2-3 days in a car by myself vs. 6 hours on a plane by myself, and in business class (and cost wasn't a factor), I'd probably pick the plane too.

With 4 kids and a wife I'd probably take the car also. Six tickets instead of one for the plane, vs having someone to share the driving in the car. In fact, I think a long road trip could actually be fun if I was not alone. Not sure about 4 kids under 10, though. :eek:

I love driving at night and can easily go 24 to 36 hours without sleep, however less so as I am getting older. Anyway, my wife and I trade off between SC's during the day, but as midnight approaches I get to drive until the sun comes up, then get a nice long nap.

Depending on where we want to stop for an extended time, we will leave San Diego either early to mid morning, or after dinner in the evening. We drive all day and night and then the next day. The second night we will sleep in a bed, either motel or friends or family.

Our last cross country trip we left my brother's home in Florida after dinner and I drove until morning when my wife took over after breakfast. Trade off all day then me the next night until morning again. After my second night of driving she let me nap through a couple of SC stops before taking the wheel again. We arrived home before dark that second night.

If we can get a SC in Ft. Stockton TX before July then we will be able to take the I-10 and save 6 or more hours on the return leg. This summer we are thinking of going north on I-15 then east on I-70 to Kansas City. Afterwards we drive south-east to GA to visit a brother still on the farm, then visit my wife's brother who lives in Key West, FL. Now that will be a long drive home. Probably spend a night or two with my brother in NW Florida, then I-10 to I-8 home. That return leg we almost always do without a motel stop, just drive and trade off.

Even without a SC in Ft. Stockton we will probably do the Ozona to Van Horn TX drive and stop for L2 charging, as needed, in our MS 75D. I will just tuck behind a Semi and see how it goes.

With 4 kids and a wife I'd probably take the car also. Six tickets instead of one for the plane, vs having someone to share the driving in the car. In fact, I think a long road trip could actually be fun if I was not alone. Not sure about 4 kids under 10, though. :eek:

My father's best friend had 5 kids. He said many times there are two ways to travel, first class and with kids.

I love driving at night and can easily go 24 to 36 hours without sleep, however less so as I am getting older. Anyway, my wife and I trade off between SC's during the day, but as midnight approaches I get to drive until the sun comes up, then get a nice long nap.

Depending on where we want to stop for an extended time, we will leave San Diego either early to mid morning, or after dinner in the evening. We drive all day and night and then the next day. The second night we will sleep in a bed, either motel or friends or family.

Our last cross country trip we left my brother's home in Florida after dinner and I drove until morning when my wife took over after breakfast. Trade off all day then me the next night until morning again. After my second night of driving she let me nap through a couple of SC stops before taking the wheel again. We arrived home before dark that second night.

If we can get a SC in Ft. Stockton TX before July then we will be able to take the I-10 and save 6 or more hours on the return leg. This summer we are thinking of going north on I-15 then east on I-70 to Kansas City. Afterwards we drive south-east to GA to visit a brother still on the farm, then visit my wife's brother who lives in Key West, FL. Now that will be a long drive home. Probably spend a night or two with my brother in NW Florida, then I-10 to I-8 home. That return leg we almost always do without a motel stop, just drive and trade off.

Even without a SC in Ft. Stockton we will probably do the Ozona to Van Horn TX drive and stop for L2 charging, as needed, in our MS 75D. I will just tuck behind a Semi and see how it goes.

I am a night person and could drive late into the night, but my SO can't sleep in the car and gets sore all over if sitting too long or gets too tired. We have driven 12 hours in a day, but that's about the limit.

November a year ago, I drove just under 1400 miles stopping only for Supercharging. Took longer than 24 hours though. I didn't find it particularly tiring.

Agreed. I drove from Moab UT through Blanding, Flagstaff, Kingman, Barstow, down to Tejon Ranch and then home to Fresno in 2014. No Superchargers in Needles or Mojave then. I left Moab at 0715 MDT and made it home to Fresno at 0315 PDT. And I arrived without any troubling nodding off or drowsiness. It seemed that the periodic stops to Supercharge, walk around, grab a coffee, overrode any indication of sleepiness.

A friend's husband once drove alone non-stop from New Jersey to Seattle. He took a lot of No-doze. He got to Seattle and collapsed a few feet in the door. I think he slept for 24 hours.

I think the longest run I've made in one day was 700 miles. It wasn't too bad with a comfortable car, but when we did it the next year in my SO's Subaru in which I couldn't get the seat set comfortably, I was stove up for a week.

Agreed. I drove from Moab UT through Blanding, Flagstaff, Kingman, Barstow, down to Tejon Ranch and then home to Fresno in 2014. No Superchargers in Needles or Mojave then. I left Moab at 0715 MDT and made it home to Fresno at 0315 PDT. And I arrived without any troubling nodding off or drowsiness. It seemed that the periodic stops to Supercharge, walk around, grab a coffee, overrode any indication of sleepiness.
Agree, and it's the walking around that does the most good I think. While I limit daily distance to between 350-500 miles, the reduced fatigue is fabulous. And if your trip was in 2014, I'm assuming it too was without AP, which would decrease fatigue even more. And on a long trip, the added hour or so supercharging through the day doesn't cause a problem (pure road warriors would have a different opinion, of course).

Reactions: jrreno