Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that for locations where one is likely to stroll for an a few hours an 80 amp J-1772 is more practical. All EV can use a J-1772 and if I were to spend an afternoon in Forks WA, I would prefer not to run back to the super charger to move the car after 30 minutes. Take 3 hours to enjoy the town and at 80 amps you are likely at a full charge.

Save the Superchargers for the Interstate, places where people would normally spend less than an hour.

I agree that for locations where one is likely to stroll for an a few hours an 80 amp J-1772 is more practical. All EV can use a J-1772 and if I were to spend an afternoon in Forks WA, I would prefer not to run back to the super charger to move the car after 30 minutes. Take 3 hours to enjoy the town and at 80 amps you are likely at a full charge.

Save the Superchargers for the Interstate, places where people would normally spend less than an hour.
Assuming. of course, that you have twin chargers on-board.

There is no storage capability at the superchargers, at lest not yet, and not all of them have solar panels. I suspect a busy SC with solar will only be offsetting a portion of the power needed to charge the vehicles.

I thought someone had posted here photos of a cabinet at one of the supercharger sites (Tejon Ranch?) with a label "storage system" or similar on it?

(however, I admit that after 10 minutes of searching, I can't find the post. If I'm making this up, it's not deliberate...)

The plan is that the total input from solar panels will be more than the total output from charging averaged over all the Superchargers in existence once the network is complete (or maybe 80% complete--this number hasn't actually been stated AFAIK).

The plan is that the total input from solar panels will be more than the total output from charging averaged over all the Superchargers in existence once the network is complete (or maybe 80% complete--this number hasn't actually been stated AFAIK).

As stated previously on this and other threads there simply isn't adequate physical space at the charging locations for enough solar panels to offset the average daily charge. You would need additional solar farms to accomplish this. Offset yes, fully cover charging usage nope.

As stated previously on this and other threads there simply isn't adequate physical space at the charging locations for enough solar panels to offset the average daily charge. You would need additional solar farms to accomplish this. Offset yes, fully cover charging usage nope.

When the network is fully complete, there will be a fair percentage of Supercharger locations that aren't busy so they will be generating extra capacity.

Someone had the idea that they should just blanket the factory's roof in panels. That is a big factory and should offset quite a few chargers. The central location should be cheaper to maintain as well I would think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

All -

Decided to do some driving on this nice sunny day in the northeast (30's - a heat wave!).

Started the day with a standard charge (232 miles I believe). I drove to the supercharger in Milford, CT which is 60 miles away. No ICE's taking up the 2 spots (Northbound side) thank goodness. Was able to charge back the 60 miles I drove in 26 minutes and make it all the way to a Standard Charge in 35 minutes: added 73 miles to finish @ 242 miles.

I had taken 95 up and decided to stop at the nearby mall for lunch and then take the Merritt Parkway back. Wanted to experience a public charger, so I located a Chargepoint station not too far away near the Merritt. It was at a business - closed on sunday so desolate. Used the J1772 adapter and my Chargepoint card and had no problems getting the car to charge and getting the adapter out of the car (it's the newly designed J1772).

Stopped by a friends house in North Stamford CT to give him a test drive - he had a lot of fun accelerating and regen'ing on the Merritt! We then drove down to the center of Stamford to check out the 2 new (FREE) charging stations they added in a parking lot across the street from the Stamford Mall. Even had a canopy with solar panels (they were generating 1.8 kilowatts of power at the time). This was a GE charger so I just removed the J1772 plug and tested charging again - worked like a charm and was charging at 20 miles/hour (208 volts @ 30 amps). Then I drove my friend home and then proceed back to my place.

All in all a great day finally seeing what its like to charge "out in the wild"! Here are some pictures:

Supercharger in Milford, CT
View attachment 15286View attachment 15287

Chargepoint Station:
View attachment 15288

Downtown Stamford Free Public Station
View attachment 15289

Aaron

@ Aaron you charged on the Supercharger for 35 minutes and added 73 miles. Aren't the superchargers supposed to charge at 300 miles per hour? I would have expected you would get the 73 miles in more like 15 minutes. Am I missing something?

He left with a full standard charge and only drove 60 miles. His battery was almost full. It ramps down as it gets closer to full.

Thanks for responding Lloyd!

Still thrilled that I got back to full standard in 35 minutes. Will need to test time getting to max range for trip to Provincetown, MA which is 225 miles away. Will have 2 bikes on an Eco-Hitch in the back, 2 adults and a small dog -- still not sure I'll make it on Max Range -- may need to stop just past providence for an hour charge at a public station.

Once warmer weather comes and I get a better idea of my Wh/mile (especially with the bikes on) I think I'll get a much better idea...

Aaron

PS - I really wish they would have put the supercharger further up 95 closer to Providence, RI. Milford is too close to me (and to NYC). If it were further up, I'd be able to do 1 supercharger session and still get to PTown. I hope Tesla thinks about adding another supercharger further north towards Boston at some point! I think it would benefit all (including 60 kWh owners) and not just me!

Last edited:
PS - I really wish they would have put the supercharger further up 95 closer to Providence, RI. Milford is too close to me (and to NYC). If it were further up, I'd be able to do 1 supercharger session and still get to PTown. I hope Tesla thinks about adding another supercharger further north towards Boston at some point! I think it would benefit all (including 60 kWh owners) and not just me!

I'm also concerned about P'Town charging. We go there a few times a year on business and would really like a place to plug in overnight. If you're out there, you might mention to the place you're staying that a charging station or two would be very welcome.
The email for the parking person in P'Town is [email protected] and he seems quite pleasant. Apparently they are in the process of researching charging stations but haven't done it yet.

In general, the Cape is a problem for charging, there are very few available even though it's a major tourist draw.

I'm also concerned about P'Town charging. We go there a few times a year on business and would really like a place to plug in overnight. If you're out there, you might mention to the place you're staying that a charging station or two would be very welcome.
The email for the parking person in P'Town is [email protected] and he seems quite pleasant. Apparently they are in the process of researching charging stations but haven't done it yet.

In general, the Cape is a problem for charging, there are very few available even though it's a major tourist draw.

RDoc

I agree with you! For me, its not a problem because we go out for a full week and never use the car once we arrive since we can walk to everything. I'll simply plug the Model S into an outdoor 110v outlet and let it take 4-5 days to charge for the drive home.

But if I ever wanted to take a day and go down the cape I'd be in trouble.... so having some stations in PTown are a must (as well as up/down the cape). Thanks for the email address and I will be sure to send an email telling them I now have an EV and come every year and that putting some stations in would only help others with EV's and plug-ins.

Aaron

PS - Sent the email!

Last edited:
RDoc

I agree with you! For me, its not a problem because we go out for a full week and never use the car once we arrive since we can walk to everything. I'll simply plug the Model S into an outdoor 110v outlet and let it take 4-5 days to charge for the drive home.

But if I ever wanted to take a day and go down the cape I'd be in trouble.... so having some stations in PTown are a must (as well as up/down the cape). Thanks for the email address and I will be sure to send an email telling them I now have an EV and come every year and that putting some stations in would only help others with EV's and plug-ins.

Aaron

PS - Sent the email!
I'm also planning a trip to the Cape, so sent an email to the above address as well. There really don't seem to be many charging stations in that area. What I really need to find is a hotel where I can charge overnight. Anybody know of one?

I'm also planning a trip to the Cape, so sent an email to the above address as well. There really don't seem to be many charging stations in that area. What I really need to find is a hotel where I can charge overnight. Anybody know of one?

John

There's a changing station (J1772) in Yarmouth, MA right off 6 at "Granite City Electric". There are some hotels south of there about 2 miles if you don't mind taking a cab.... Check out Plugshare.....

Aaron

Pictures from Hawthorne:

2.JPG

Five stalls, but only two are online. The one on the right was only charging me at 70mph. I moved to the left one after the other S left and it started charging at 300mph.
3.JPG

4.JPG

I wonder how many people have accidentally walked into the reflecting pond?
5.JPG

Went to Hawthorne superchargers today and they were "out of order" :scared:. I have about another 120 miles to get through the day and pulled in with about 65 miles. Oh oh... Plan B i guess, ended up driving close to where my business meeting is and am charging at a Chargepoint stall at 6KW. Plan is to leave it there long enough to hopefully get it charged enough to make the trip home. Luckily the meeting is for a several hours so I hope it doesn't stop charging :frown:

I hope they'll soon create an app or add to the existing app, the status of all the superchargers (available, in-use, out of order, etc)

There's also a charging station in Barnstable right off of 6A at the Barnstable County Complex and there are a couple of Inns nearby.