Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, I support DavidM's point: we're still a long way from the nearest Supercharger. We have a confirmed application for a construction permit in Fort Myers, but that application has not even been accepted yet. It'll be a little while (3-4 months...?) at least before that SC is up. And that's the first one we've heard of so far. Let's hope next week's announcement brings all sorts of good news on this front, I could use it.

To be fair, I support DavidM's point: we're still a long way from the nearest Supercharger. We have a confirmed application for a construction permit in Fort Myers, but that application has not even been accepted yet. It'll be a little while (3-4 months...?) at least before that SC is up. And that's the first one we've heard of so far. Let's hope next week's announcement brings all sorts of good news on this front, I could use it.

Here's a wild prediction: by the end of 2014 you'll be able to drive from Miami to Montreal.

Here's a wild prediction: by the end of 2014 you'll be able to drive from Miami to Montreal.

@NigelM: That would be a «Killer app» for the Model S! There is hundred of THOUSAND of «Blue birds» (Quebec's rich and retired baby boomers living 6 months in Florida and 6 months in Quebec, to escape the cold winters). That way, they could use only one car and travel with it ... for FREE!! And since there is almost the same storage capacity as a Minivan they could bring their «stock» with them.

My father is looking for living 6 months in Florida ... I could visit him with my entire family (2 kids + one coming + 2 adults) using my MS ... free gas ... 2 nights of Hotels ... much cheaper than 6 plane tickets ... and no need to rent a car and pay gas when in Florida!!

So I bet on it too ... just in time for the cold winter!! :)

Re: Normal, IL SuperCharger -

If this is planned for the TOP level of a parking garage I fear for winter visitors. Better to nestle in on a lower floor, out of the wind, drifting snow, etc, no?

I'll visit next month to check it out, in Forester/trailer ICE rig. :frown:
--

I thought the latest data for Normal was that it's not the top level.

Although early documents used a photo of the top level of the garage to show the approximate location, and thus was misleading, later documents specify that the location is on the third level which is not the top level.

Larry

Last edited:
License Agreement is online

Interesting:

#10-Licensee may install security cameras and other equipment to monitor the premises from off-site.

#12- If non-Tesla motorists repeatedly park in the Dedicated Stalls, thereby impairing use of the Dedicated Stalls, or if motorists repeatedly park in the Enabled Stalls for greater than the permitted duration, then the parties shall together determine and implement an appropriate and effective strategy for preventing such impairment.

One I found interesting was labelled #8 (but perhaps from a different list): "Tesla and the Town (Normal, IL) will work on a mutually acceptable way for Tesla to reimburse Supercharger
users for any parking deck fees."

Also, the PDF I looked at showed a proposed agenda for yesterday (5/20) that included a "Resolution Authorizing the Execution of a License Agreement with Tesla Motors, Inc." as part of their "Omnibus Vote Agenda". The fine print says that "All items under the Omnibus Vote Agenda are considered to be routine in nature and will be enacted by one motion."

I'll still wait for official confirmation, but it sounds very likely that the agreement was authorized.

One I found interesting was labelled #8 (but perhaps from a different list): "Tesla and the Town (Normal, IL) will work on a mutually acceptable way for Tesla to reimburse Supercharger
users for any parking deck fees."

Wow, nice find. So not only do they offer the electricity for free, Tesla even offers to pay the parking fees? Is it any wonder why Tesla Nation is so excited about the product? Moves like this inspire unbelievable loyalty. Can you imagine ANY other automaker doing this? I can't.

What about Supercharging +.

Solar City offers free High Powered Wall Connectors (HPWC) to their retail customers. Power supplied by PV.

$5000 per includes cost of hardware and installation/hookup.

At 30-60 miles of charge per hour, it's worthwhile to put in malls since there would be a limit of power output.

Tesla needs to make charging ubiquitous.
For the cost of current network of Supercharger $25M, you could install 5,000 HPWCs around the U.S.
This HPWC network is still faster than ANY OTHER charging network except Superchargers.
Link to the app.
Would need to have a reservation system.
Solar City could provide tech support on system.

Last edited:
Tesla used the SC System as one of their USPs. It is a very good Idea and sets them apart from any other car manufacturer. This is a major aspect of the business model:

- takes care of range anxiety
- enables long distance trips
- shows to other players what can be done
- free to Model S owners (probably not for all future cars)

They will not give up the moat they are building for the company.

Therefore I am certain, TESLA wil continue to improve the SC network, throughout the US and eventually Europe. I feel confident that they will do all they can to make them ubiquitous, usable, available and convenient. At least as much as gas stations are now. (Ever stand in line to get gas?)

Concerning SCs being free: yes, they cost no $$$ to use. But if they are all taken, they cost time spent waiting for a space to open. So for TESLA to continue to reap the benefits of proveding SCs they are forced to continue to build up the network and to provide sufficient spaces.

It would be useful if Tesla added some IT infrastructure to the SCs:
1. To SMS text when the car hits Standard charge, and then when charging is complete.
2. Web access to info about current status of SC ports, including forecast completion times.
3. Web reservations.

I'm a little uncertain about the wisdom of letting people reserve time at an SC. On the one hand, it helps people plan. On the other hand, it's not obvious why someone should be able to jump the line just because he got on-line. I'd also be worried about no-shows tying up capacity.

Do it more like how the service at an Apple store works: online there are multiple slots per hour, but when you get there in person, you need to check in again to get in the physical vs virtual queue.

If the online slots only cover a portion of the available charger hours, that gives a buffer for drop-ins, but also gives folks who check in online a rough guesstimate on any potential for charger contention when they plan to arrive.

So, in short, make it a very loose reservation system that only keeps track of a portion (50%?) of available charging capacity, and it doesn't guarantee anything when you arrive.

Since it would likely be far too confusing to have any sort of on-site queue management integration with the car itself, there likely can't be any "official" onsite queue management (other than driver-to-driver discussions, glaring, note-swapping, sign-in sheet in nearby store, texting, calling, etc)

It would be useful if Tesla added some IT infrastructure to the SCs:
1. To SMS text when the car hits Standard charge, and then when charging is complete.
2. Web access to info about current status of SC ports, including forecast completion times.
3. Web reservations.

I'm a little uncertain about the wisdom of letting people reserve time at an SC. On the one hand, it helps people plan. On the other hand, it's not obvious why someone should be able to jump the line just because he got on-line. I'd also be worried about no-shows tying up capacity.

With the amount of technology and connectivity the tesla infrastructure has it's actually very easy and practical to do...

1) allow scheduling to happy ONLY from inside a model S
2) to schedule one MUST be moving in the S and enroute with definite ETA based on speed and traffic conditions
3) deviation from route and speed will cancel the reservation

the advantage of schedule also helps manage expectations.... so say you're traveling in your S and heading toward a SC (confirmed through your touch screen on the S) and it tells you that you won't have a charger available when you arrive BUT it can tell you that you're next in line and the wait time is 10 minutes.... wouldn't that be great? then at least you know what to expect and how long you're in queue for....

the alternative is to show up and hope for the best...

More Northeast (CT) Supercharger Locations

Hi All

Had heard a rumor that there would be more superchargers in Darien CT (right next to Stamford CT) on I95 at the North & Southbound service areas that are currently under renovation. Northbound side is further along than the southbound and I pass it a few times a week and nothing noticeable -- until today....

As I passed by, I clearly saw 2 that are finally being built. The concrete base and metal frame are in place (no exterior white metal that says Tesla yet) - and are unmistakably Superchargers. They are in the same location and look exactly like they do in Milford, CT on the Southbound side.

I am *sure* that as soon as the Southbound area is further along, there will be 2 there as well. A few weeks ago at the Westport, CT EV Road Rally, I met an executive from the CT DOT that stated as much! Although only 25 miles further south along I95 from Milford, one would think it wouldn't make sense that Tesla put them there as well - but it does reduce the distance between the Milford, CT and Newark, DE Superchargers from 205 miles to 180 miles. Much more comfortable for people with 60kWh batteries. The DOT exec said they are welcoming Tesla with open arms and want CT to be more EV friendly....

Also on the Merritt Parkway in Greenwich, the 2 service areas (north/south) are being completely renovated as well. Other rumors put Superchargers there too.... I pass by those locations often too and will continue to be on the lookout!

If it were possible to stop somewhere and take pictures, I would - but there is nowhere safe to pull over...

Aaron

the advantage of schedule also helps manage expectations.... so say you're traveling in your S and heading toward a SC (confirmed through your touch screen on the S) and it tells you that you won't have a charger available when you arrive BUT it can tell you that you're next in line and the wait time is 10 minutes.... wouldn't that be great? then at least you know what to expect and how long you're in queue for....

the alternative is to show up and hope for the best...

Except it's a lot of complexity to just let you know ahead of time what you would have found out when you got there anyway. The fact is at the point you could make the reservation you'd really have no alternative but to go and wait anyway, so it doesn't really help. Having better queue management once you're there is a different story.