Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish it was not a mistake as well. But it annoys the Tesla Super Charger team that the Tesla web team has yet to fix the double dot (despite repeated requests).

I'm just repeating what the Tesla Super Charging development team told me.

Really, now that is very interesting info. I would have thought this was a case of "get the I-80 one done since Elon needs it for his trip", and the I-90 one would be an afterthought. I wonder if the I-90 route up to Buffalo is being reconsidered. Personally I think Cleveland ultimately still needs one, for good spacing between Toledo and Buffalo...as does Erie.

Maybe they meant they just wanted it removed from "Coming Soon"?

Another way to get this info is ask the crew foreman where else they are bidding on installations. That is a good predictor of where they will be next! Once they get the skillset in place, they like to keep the same crews busy.

Anyone hear anything lately about Oxnard, CA? With the Oxnard supercharger in place, people can bypass Hawthorne and head straight to San Juan Capistrano, as it's only 119 miles away. This will surely help relieve some of the congestion at Hawthorne.

I am at the Oxnard location Whole Foods a couple of times a week. There is still no action as of yesterday. TMC member Reach, who lives in Oxnard and has some contacts in the city there, mentioned elsewhere something about SCE having to work out delivery to the site of enough amperage. The Collection mall has a very large lit up fwy sign at the location but as it uses all LED's current draw is minimal so the supplying infrastructure is or may not be heavy duty enough for the amount of current a supercharger station might draw.

I am at the Oxnard location Whole Foods a couple of times a week. There is still no action as of yesterday. TMC member Reach, who lives in Oxnard and has some contacts in the city there, mentioned elsewhere something about SCE having to work out delivery to the site of enough amperage. The Collection mall has a very large lit up fwy sign near the location but as it uses all LED's the supplying infrastructure is or may not be enough for the amount of current a supercharger station might draw.

Thanks for the quick update!

Really, now that is very interesting info. I would have thought this was a case of "get the I-80 one done since Elon needs it for his trip", and the I-90 one would be an afterthought. I wonder if the I-90 route up to Buffalo is being reconsidered. Personally I think Cleveland ultimately still needs one, for good spacing between Toledo and Buffalo...as does Erie.

Maybe they meant they just wanted it removed from "Coming Soon"?

Another way to get this info is ask the crew foreman where else they are bidding on installations. That is a good predictor of where they will be next! Once they get the skillset in place, they like to keep the same crews busy.

Yes, the "coming soon" double dot in north east ohio is a mistake. It should be one dot. Ohio will have 5 SCs in 2015 (as it is planned today).

Not yet. The circles on TM's map are misleading, and plenty of people like you are misreading it. But we're only weeks away now. Read the last few pages of this thread.

But as you read it, you'll have to ignore the MOTO* chatter pointing out how many countries there are in North America ... (MOTO = Master Of The Obvious)

Instead of TM's own map, I highly recommend this crowdsourced map:

http://www.teslawiki.net/supercharger/

Use the range slider at the top to adjust the circle size, and adjust it to *HALF* of your Tesla's range. Then if the circles touch, you can make that leap between superchargers. So, for example, if you are comfortable doing 200-mile hops, then you'd adjust it to 100 miles.

However, 200 miles on flat terrain is quite different from 200 miles on mountainous terrain. So those Utah sites will be important to comfortably making the trip through the Rocky Mountains, even though the circles already appear to be touching.

It's a great site, check it out.

Related, as we are likely just weeks away from the first supercharger-enabled cross country trip, you might want to learn about the first ICE car trip across the country, in 1903.

Horatio's Drive | PBS

Last edited:
Is coast-to-coast travel now possible on Superchargers? The updated map at the Tesla website shows overlapping circles in a path from CA to DE. The stretch from OH to PA might require more than a 30 minute charge though.

Use Cottonwood's method to see what is possible right now. Set the radius to 85 on this map. If it's in blue, you're good to go.

If ever there is a Burning-Man type get-together out in the middle of nowhere for Tesla owners, I nominate Shiprock, NM (near the Farmington and Gallup Super Chargers) to be the place. It's so picturesque, it'd be cool to see 100s (1000s?) of Teslas there.

shiprock.jpg

That or Devil's Tower in Wyoming ("Close Encounters of the Tesla Kind").

If ever there is a Burning-Man type get-together out in the middle of nowhere for Tesla owners, I nominate Shiprock, NM (near the Farmington and Gallup Super Chargers) to be the place. It's so picturesque, it'd be cool to see 100s (1000s?) of Teslas there.

That or Devil's Tower in Wyoming ("Close Encounters of the Tesla Kind").

Ship Rock is undoubtedly a very cool thing to see; but as a practical matter there isn't so much as a wide spot in the two-lane highway that passes to the south. It's all Navajo land.

Devil's Tower is a National Park Service site, so it does have facilities and parking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 442
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 454
Use Cottonwood's method to see what is possible right now. Set the radius to 85 on this map. If it's in blue, you're good to go.

This usually will work, but be careful in especially cold or windy weather, and also be careful in mountainous areas; for example, Buckeye, AZ to Flagstaff, AZ, and Cheyenne, WY, to Silverthorne, CO, should be planned carefully... :eek:

Shiprock and also Monument Valley are both on Indian Land, whether in AZ, UT or NM. Limited elbow room and zero facilities befitting sacred lands. However Devil's Tower, WY for example is US Park Service and more amenable to Tesla Massing. Accessible via Rapid City SC (107 miles).

edit: pause & get pre-empted! Shiprock now on my bucket list, thanx Stevezzzz. :smile:
--

Last edited:
Ship Rock is undoubtedly a very cool thing to see; but as a practical matter there isn't so much as a wide spot in the two-lane highway that passes to the south. It's all Navajo land.

Devil's Tower is a National Park Service site, so it does have facilities and parking.

With a little RV Park, 14-50, top up of the battery somewhere in the middle, Devil's tower is a nice little side trip between Rapid City and Lusk: 2200 N Maple Ave, Rapid City, SD 57701 to 730 S Main St, Lusk, WY 82225 via Devi's Tower - Google Maps - 260 miles total distance. This could be a great late spring or early fall outing!

Under ChrisC's suggestion, using 1/2 comfortable range hop, with an 85 kWh battery, coast-to-coast is nearly possible at 130 mile radius.

Under Cottonwood's method, I still significant see gaps in Wyoming, Minnesota, and Ohio. I tend to think that this later method is probably safer in the mountain areas during wintertime.

So Tesla still has a few stations to finish, but it's close.