Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gila Bend AZ: The permit has been picked up and the construction at the Carl's Jr. in Gila Bend AZ will begin on Monday! I will have pictures shortly after ground is broken. I will post them as soon as they arrive.

This is great news. I have a trip planned in late February from San Diego to Tucson. Without Gila Bend, it was going to mean RV stops, which I don't mind, but the rest of the family is not as patient :).

Of the 4 Superchargers added at the end of last week, 3 were in the 4-Corners states, including my home state of Colorado! :biggrin:

This created a subtle, but significant milestone for me, showing that Superchargers were moving out across the country and beyond the California core. The full nav screen list of nearest Superchargers, lists the closest 13 Superchargers. Until this last rollout, there were still some California Superchargers at the bottom of the list. Now that closest 13 list has no California entries! When Cheyenne, Blanding, and Moab come online, both Texas and Minnesota will disappear. It's wonderful to see Superchargers moving into the neighborhood! :wink:

Supercharger List.JPG

It's interesting to see the SC rollout progress, particularly the decisions as to where. Yes, I know there are mitigating circumstances in the schedule, but still fun to watch.

I have seen a few questions as to why certain locations are picked. Some reason that location should follow population densities. And Canada wilderness deployment?

The SC's are intended to get us places. Naturally, they need to be in sparsely populated areas. I envsion Canada as eventually having a location (miles from the nearest small town) that is the busiest SC - constantly being upgraded with more units because every MS passing by will be stopping there. I mean, where else you gonna go?

In populated areas, it's easy to find a place to charge. Not fast enough? - technology will catch up. But for now put 'em where they are really needed. And Tesla is doing a pretty good job of it.

It's nice that the SC's are free. But firstly they are meant for travel. (Can't imagine the chaos if one was put in downtown San Fran)

Nearest SC to me is 40 miles - and it gets used by us quite often (not always) - at the start of of trip. That 40 mile SC is going to be our link to the country. And maybe even to go across Canada. If there was one 20 miles or closer, we would never use it.

Has anyone else noticed the different signs that Tesla has put up at Superchargers? I've posted here: NEW SIGNS (Jan 2014) at Superchargers

Silverthorne, CO and Cheyenne, WY have similar signage for at least some of the charging bays. I figured it had to do with appeasing the companies who own the parking lots, but it might be a Tesla initiative.

If there was one 20 miles or closer, we would never use it.

My closest is just under 15 miles, so yes, not as useful under normal circumstances. However, until my HPWC was installed and I was usually charging at L1 @ 6 amps, it was the only way to get enough juice in a short time to go long distances. So when I drove to Charlotte, I had to go to the Glen Allen Supercharger to top off first. Now I can reasonably charge at home so using my local supercharger is for situation where I am slightly short coming home.

I agree that the closer a Supercharger is placed to populated areas, the more overcrowding with be an issue. It will be interesting to see what is Tesla's 5 or 10 year plan for this, or if they even have a plan longer than 3 years.

Last edited:
90% of the population is within 100 miles of the us border. I'm not pessimistic I am a realist and business minded. Already have the SCN across the TCH. I didn't know they committed to 12. It's great that they did. Maybe they even get to 20. I jus think with such a large country and a small population it doesn't make practical sense to have a network similar to USA..

From a pure business standpoint, this might make sense. However, Tesla is in the fairly unique position of being both a consumer and a supplier of energy. They are also trying to promote EV adoption and remove the perceived limitations.

"Needs of the many" thinking is not a good attitude to have when you're building infrastructure. How well would the gasoline automobile have fared in the early days if there were only gas stations on the coasts with a single route through the middle?

And doesn't the US assign two Senators to each state, regardless of population specifically to keep populous areas from rolling right over non-populous ones?

From a pure business standpoint, this might make sense. However, Tesla is in the fairly unique position of being both a consumer and a supplier of energy. They are also trying to promote EV adoption and remove the perceived limitations.

"Needs of the many" thinking is not a good attitude to have when you're building infrastructure. How well would the gasoline automobile have fared in the early days if there were only gas stations on the coasts with a single route through the middle?

And doesn't the US assign two Senators to each state, regardless of population specifically to keep populous areas from rolling right over non-populous ones?

I hope you are right. Id love to drive across the country... Something is holding up the fact that not 1 SC has been built between toronto and montreal. It could really use it. I hope they build dozens up there and sooner rather than later.

If ever there is a Burning-Man type get-together out in the middle of nowhere for Tesla owners, I nominate Shiprock, NM (near the Farmington and Gallup Super Chargers) to be the place. It's so picturesque, it'd be cool to see 100s (1000s?) of Teslas there.

View attachment 40489

That or Devil's Tower in Wyoming ("Close Encounters of the Tesla Kind").

I recognize that mountain range. It was used in the movie 'The Host'. http://www.daily-times.com/ci_22879452/shiprock-increasingly-popular-backdrop-used-host

quick IMDB search shows it was used in a lot of movies recently. John Carter , transformers, Lone Ranger... popular tourist attraction now I guess

> I really hope the I-86 Southern Tier expressway gets coverage, as I really love that rolling scenic route. Probably it is just nostalgia because I used to drive up to Ithaca from Ohio for college, but it is a very pretty route. [JakeP]

I-86/I-88 the entire route Erie, PA to Scotia, NY is a FREEWAY and is (finally) rebuilt/repaved. Largest city is Binghamton but you are skirting around it. None of the mountains and semi traffic of I-80 and none of the per-axle charges on the NY Thruway. Ohio <=> New England highly recommended.
--

Apologies if this has been covered yet but when looking at the Supercharger map now - it looks like you can get coast to coast in the US today. Would you think that's a correct assessment? Or am I missing something?

Not this time of year at posted speed limits.
Worthington, MN to LaCrosse, WI is about 240 miles. There is another supercharger being built halfway between those in Albert Lea, Mn which will allow winter travel or 60kWh travel. I believe there are a couple other gaps like this.
But we are so very close:)