Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been covered yet but when looking at the Supercharger map now - it looks like you can get coast to coast in the US today. Would you think that's a correct assessment? Or am I missing something?

I'd say we still need at the minimum

Albert Lea, MN
Cheyenne, WY
Macedonia, OH

and on the it'll make it easier list

Maumee, OH
Madison, WI
Blanding, UT or Moab, UT
Kingman, AZ or (the combination of Buckeye, AZ + San Juan Capistrano, CA)

So somewhere between 3 to 8 more superchargers and a little bit warmer weather and it'd be doable.

Last edited:
I'd say we still need at the minimum

Albert Lea, MN
Cheyenne, WY
Macedonia, OH

and on the it'll make it easier list

Maumee, OH
Madison, WI
Blanding, UT or Moab, UT
Kingman, AZ

So somewhere between 3 to 7 more superchargers and a little bit warmer weather and it'd be doable.

Hagerstown, MD is a must. 6 superchargers are required:

Kingman, AZ
One of Blanding, UT or Moab, UT
Cheyenne, WY
Albert Lea, MN
Maumee, OH
Macedonia, OH
Hagerstown, MD

All are under construction, many of which are very close to opening any day now.

The real issue is that it is likely that the route will be open far in advance of Musk's trip. So, who among us is going to be first to go from coast to coast entirely on Superchargers? Then who is going to be first to go between Vancouver and Miami?

Apologies if this has been covered yet but when looking at the Supercharger map now - it looks like you can get coast to coast in the US today. Would you think that's a correct assessment? Or am I missing something?

The Tesla map is overly opmistic, almost to the point of being untrue...

See my reply at Superchargers abloom. - Page 2 with extended discussion on this subject.

The real issue is that it is likely that the route will be open far in advance of Musk's trip. So, who among us is going to be first to go from coast to coast entirely on Superchargers? Then who is going to be first to go between Vancouver and Miami?

My wife is already talking about it like it's going to happen and I am surely tempted. It would be easy to head north to put a foot on the Canadian border to start. I have two real hesitations, timing the weather and whether I really want to put my battery pack through so many SC's, surely I would see a permanent loss in range post trip... then again, it really would be a trip through some fantastic and remote parts of the US.

My wife is already talking about it like it's going to happen and I am surely tempted. It would be easy to head north to put a foot on the Canadian border to start. I have two real hesitations, timing the weather and whether I really want to put my battery pack through so many SC's, surely I would see a permanent loss in range post trip... then again, it really would be a trip through some fantastic and remote parts of the US.

i don't think using SCs hurt the battery life/range at all if the car isn't range charged (100% full) each time. The battery cells are fully capable of charging at the rate provided by the superchargers and the rate tapers down during SC charging so that cell charging rates aren't exceeded.

I agree with needing those additional Superchargers; Barstow to Vegas to Kingman is my guess for the Elon route.

Also, Holbrook, AZ and Cranberry Township, PA greatly add to the comfort level and reduce total charge times.

I was going to say that the run from Macedonia to Somerset seems like it could be a nail-biter, particularly in the cold weather. That part of OH is pretty flat, but the PA turnpike is definitely not.

i don't think using SCs hurt the battery life/range at all if the car isn't range charged (100% full) each time. The battery cells are fully capable of charging at the rate provided by the superchargers and the rate tapers down during SC charging so that cell charging rates aren't exceeded.

If I remember correctly, Tesla has indicated that range charging would only impact battery life if the battery were left in that state. Doing a supercharge range charge and then immediately driving away would thus have little effect on the battery.

If I remember correctly, Tesla has indicated that range charging would only impact battery life if the battery were left in that state. Doing a supercharge range charge and then immediately driving away would thus have little effect on the battery.

my opinion is you minimize the impact to battery life if you drive immediately after range charge but it's still more of an impact than not range charging.

IMG_0628.jpg
IMG_0624.jpg

Stopped by the new RI SC. I'm loving these things.

I've spent some time doodling a route from my home in Maine to Fremont, passing through each of the 48 states + DC without entering any state twice.

General plan of attack:

Portland ME
Manchester NH (charge at Northeast Utilities)
Brattleboro VT (overnight with friends). Various roads through
Worcester MA to
East Greenwich RI (supercharger)
then straight down I-95 to St. Augustine FL, picking up:
CT NY NJ PA DE MD DC VA NC SC GA FL
Then I-10 to Beaumont TX, picking up:
GA (requires a slight detour through Bainbridge) AL MI LA TX
Corsicana TX (charge at RV park)
Hugo OK, US-70 east to
Little Rock AK, then US-67 N to US-412 east to
Kennett MO, then across the Mississippi River into Tennessee, ending up in
Knoxville TN. (This stretch would be easier with the Chadmo adapter!)
Lexington KY
Charleston WV
Columbus OH, then Maumee OH
St Joseph MI (carefully detouring around Indiana)
Gary IN
Rockford IL
Mauston WI
St Paul MN
Fargo ND
Madison SD (home to a Model S Plugsharer), then across the state's SC network on I-90
Gering NE (RV park, but we can't use up Wyoming just yet)
Denver CO
Grand Junction CO (SC along the way at Silverthorne and/or Glenwood Springs)
Farmington NM (top-up charge in Durango CO), then follow the I-40 SC corridor through
Flagstaff AZ to
Las Vegas NV. Detour through Caliente NV (to avoid reentering AZ along I-15) towards
Salt Lake City UT. I-80 E and US-189 N to
Kemmerer WY and Jackson WY, then on through Yellowstone to
Bozeman MT. I-90 W to
Kingston ID
Ellensburg WA, then take the I-5 SC corridor through
Portland OR to
Fremont CA

All told, this would be 9,498 miles of driving. Yikes! (Fun fact: if you're going to do a once-through-each-state trip, you must start in Maine or use Canada.)