Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coast to coast is now definitely doable, champagne popped! Congrats again to the Tesla Team!! Now the next threshold of accomplishment will be when there are enough stations for a 60 to do it, even in the winter. with accomplishments in Europe and plans announced for China, this network will be global, it's just a matter of time... maybe even hyperloop under the major oceans! ;~)

I disagree. SuperchargING is free. There is an option to purchase for the 60 to have the CAPABILITY to use a superchargER, and it's included in the base price of the 85. But with no marginal, ongoing, or per use cost, it's appropriate to say that supercharging is free. Paying for the hardware and software to make it work is different than saying there is a cost for supercharging.

If you buy a new iPhone because you want to use Siri, would you describe the Siri service as having "no per use charge" or being free? I think most people would consider it to be free.

When you enable supercharging on a car that doesn't come from the factory with it, they don't install hardware or software to enable it. You don't drive it to a service center and you don't download a software update. Every car already has the hardware and software. The supercharger itself just recognizes that you haven't paid.

We are coming to the end of Tesla's big push for a cross-country supercharger route. Since we are still as excited and impatient as ever, we need to start sleuthing out other locations Tesla's map says are Coming Soon or 2014.

Known locations but no construction yet: Roseville CA, Oxnard CA, El Centro CA, Gila Bend AZ, Edison NJ, Albany NY, Woodbridge VA (locations at Supercharger Progress wiki)
Unknown Coming Soon locations: Squamish BC, Indio CA (may be replaced by Desert Hills Premium Outlets in Cabazon), Plymouth NC

In looking for 2014 sites, here are the corridors which I think will be high priority: bridging to the Texas supercharger island, connecting Atlanta to the network, connecting Canadian population centers, and straightening out the routes across the country. If we take Tesla's 2014 dots at face value, here is where we should look for permitting and construction activity:
I-15 Corridor: St George UT, Beaver UT, Salina UT, Green River (location known) UT
I-40/35 Corridor: Albuquerque NM, Tucumcari NM, Amarillo TX, Sayre OK, Oklahoma City OK, Ardmore OK
I-10 Corridor: Beaumont TX, Baton Rouge LA, Gulfport/Biloxi MS, Defuniak Springs FL, Tallahassee FL, Lake City FL
Atlanta Connections/I-85: Macon GA, Augusta GA, Jefferson/Commerce GA, Greenville SC, Charlotte area NC
I-90 Corridor: Moses Lake WA (though Ritzville is better spacing), Coeur d'Alene ID, Butte MT, Big Timber MT, Hardin MT, Gillette WY
Canada Corridor: Chatham-Kent ON, London ON, Belleville ON, Prescott ON, somewhere east of Ottawa ON, Drummondville/Victoriaville, QC

Happy sleuthing!

When you enable supercharging on a car that doesn't come from the factory with it, they don't install hardware or software to enable it. You don't drive it to a service center and you don't download a software update. Every car already has the hardware and software. The supercharger itself just recognizes that you haven't paid.

I don't believe this is correct. The "switch" is flipped on the car.

How is this relevant? Lots of computer software is enabled by "unlocking" it when you pay for it. It doesn't matter if it's there waiting to be unlocked if you decide to buy it, or has to be downloaded, 60 owners who buy the option are paying for the car to have the capability to use a supercharger. Just like Siri is free on a properly equipped iPhone. Sure you could have paid less to get a phone without the Siri capability, but that doesn't mean the Siri service shouldn't be described as free.

I don't believe this is correct. The "switch" is flipped on the car.

You're probably right, but that's really aside from the point.

How is this relevant? Lots of computer software is enabled by "unlocking" it when you pay for it. It doesn't matter if it's there waiting to be unlocked if you decide to buy it, or has to be downloaded, 60 owners who buy the option are paying for the car to have the capability to use a supercharger. Just like Siri is free on a properly equipped iPhone. Sure you could have paid less to get a phone without the Siri capability, but that doesn't mean the Siri service shouldn't be described as free.

Because you made it sound like you're paying them to install something that wasn't there when you got it. They're just activating it. It's not the same as your iPhone scenario. Not all iPhones are physically capable of it because the hardware isn't good enough. You're paying extra for better hardware.

It's all really semantics anyway, whether you choose to say the usage is free and that you're paying to "turn it on" or that you're saying that it's essentially pre-paid. The end result is it's not free. Tesla isn't just doing this out of the kindness of their heart for us. We all paid for it, some more obviously than others.

We are coming to the end of Tesla's big push for a cross-country supercharger route. Since we are still as excited and impatient as ever, we need to start sleuthing out other locations Tesla's map says are Coming Soon or 2014.
Unknown Coming Soon locations: Squamish BC, Indio CA (may be replaced by Desert Hills Premium Outlets in Cabazon), Plymouth NC

There are two 2014 locations in that I am particularly interested in since I live in the SF Bay Area: somewhere on the 101 north of Santa Rosa CA and in the area of Manteca CA near the intersection of the 120 and the 99. The latter is critical for travel to the Yosemite/Sequoia area.

Please put in a request for a supercharger station at
Supercharging

I just requested a station in Oakdale CA and Sonora CA for the 120/108 corridor.

I also put in a request for a station in Cloverdale CA and in Eureka CA for the Mendocino crowd.

Manteca might be tough to get because it's only 65 miles from the East Bay.

Tesla's progress has been amazing.

There are two 2014 locations in that I am particularly interested in since I live in the SF Bay Area: somewhere on the 101 north of Santa Rosa CA and in the area of Manteca CA near the intersection of the 120 and the 99. The latter is critical for travel to the Yosemite/Sequoia area.

Yes, I'm sure there's an updare done on the car, otherwise they'd have to update the Supercharger. The design is deliberately meant to avoid the need for real-time communication. It makes it more robust.

As for free v not free, I think of it as pay-up-front. It seems to have worked really well.

Manteca is also very important for through traffic on I-5 since it's a long detour out to Folsom and back.