Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
US market according to Cox Automotive

saupload_cox_thumb1.png

I know QC issues aren't popular here but reddit has stickied a post where a new MY owner had their entire roof blow off as they were driving down the highway away from picking up the vehicle from the Tesla store. Obviously anecdotal, but quite incredible.

So Tesla’s quality control is really bad. Our brand new model y’s entire roof just fell off : teslamotors

Happened to my new Corvette Z06 in 2006 during a rally with friends. Decisive action had to be taken.

FWIW I usually rolled my eyes at the quality issue reports with the Y. After getting my Y I roll slightly less hard now.

Buy the dip!

Buying ATW, adding more land in Austin, potential nickel deal with Indonesia, R&D and maybe GF in Karnataka, Lithium Hydroxide refinery in Texas, massive deal with Piedmont. Tesla has been busy since Battery Day... Maybe that is what those $5B are going to. When they did the $5B raise they had a list of things needed to be done to get to 3TWh in 2030 and came up with a figure that should cover it and raise it. Not for the hell of it or because they could, no because that was the correct figure that they needed. This quarter should add $800M to their war chest, I expect Musk to keep spending and maybe raising so expect many new announcements and acquisitions over the next years...

I know QC issues aren't popular here but reddit has stickied a post where a new MY owner had their entire roof blow off as they were driving down the highway away from picking up the vehicle from the Tesla store. Obviously anecdotal, but quite incredible.

So Tesla’s quality control is really bad. Our brand new model y’s entire roof just fell off : teslamotors
Possible causes and glass roof assembly process posted by another redditor who possibly previously worked in Tesla assembly - points to poor training -- Roof fell off : RealTesla

Buying ATW, adding more land in Austin, potential nickel deal with Indonesia, R&D and maybe GF in Karnataka, Lithium Hydroxide refinery in Texas, massive deal with Piedmont. Tesla has been busy since Battery Day... Maybe that is what those $5B are going to. When they did the $5B raise they had a list of things needed to be done to get to 3TWh in 2030 and came up with a figure that should cover it and raise it. Not for the hell of it or because they could, no because that was the correct figure that they needed. This quarter should add $800M to their war chest, I expect Musk to keep spending and maybe raising so expect many new announcements and acquisitions over the next years...
My SAY question was precisely this, but didn't get answered - was the raise for operations, or to implement battery day technology.

Reactions: JusRelax and Hrtme
Just received the message below from my UK broker about a mini-tender from Ponos Industries LLC, who want to buy up to 500k TSLA shares at $420 (I'm not making this up!). I'm not selling any shares, but would be interested to know if anyone knows anything more about this.

It says that Ponos will only go ahead with the purchase if the SP is above $420 when the offer completes. Who would agree to sell their shares for less than the market price?! :eek:

Screenshot_20201005_133008.jpg

Most people who trade the market do have terrible returns, but some very smart people in fact did figure out the market, and they did it over 30 years ago. but no one has successfully managed to copy them consistently.

... James Simons is regarded as the best money manager ever. They created successful mathematical models for trading - using a roster of exceptional scientists, but it only scales to a certain size before their trading size starts to impact their returns negatively, so they limit there trading to a level where they "only" make billions a year in their closed funds, rather than hundreds of billions.

I'm continually shocked as to why they aren't more well known...
Sure. Long Term Capital management did it too, Nobel Prize winners included. Every one of these has outsized success until they become large enough to move a market or unusual events happen, either one. Every statistical model including every AI application has 'boundary conditions' beyond which the models do not work. James Simons has learned enough to limit growth objectives when that happens. When the economy is in uncharted territory (e.g. COVID-19, large scale environmental catastrophe, sudden protectionist measure in major economies) almost no models can be assured of applicability. But...

James Simons is completely different than all the others, mostly because his education dealt with inherently probabilistic elements of physics. Very, very few people with such knowledge have successfully transitioned to such deeply variable things as security markets. He has staffed with people who were educated in such fields and skipped the legions of MBA's and others not analytically qualified.

So, yes, James Simons is legendary. He deserves to be. He si one of very few who actually devotes his resources to help prepare new generations to learn more about how the universe works. Without a doubt Elon Musk follows similar principles, except Elon calls them 'first principles'. As much as I admire James Simons I cannot help but wonder what would have happened had he devotes his prodigious intellect to improving materials and products rather than just making money. I wonder what he thinks about that? A quick look at his philanthropy gives hints.

Just as the world has difficulty understanding 'tabless' cells the world cannot see why this:

http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~gmoore/TASI-ChernSimons-StudentNotes.pdf

is relevant to securities trading. To be clear, I haven't even a vague idea, but I do know that to have been foundational to Simon's approaches.
As TSLA investors we do need to know that we also, nearly all of us, do not know and cannot know the advances of materials in SpaceX/Tesla although we do know they work together on that and share the same leader. So, we really are operating on faith. We do not know if that will outlive Elon just as nobody knows how Renaissance can survive the absence of Simons. For Tesla I am confident. For Renaissance less so.

Possible causes and glass roof assembly process posted by another redditor who possibly previously worked in Tesla assembly - points to poor training -- Roof fell off : RealTesla

Nobody wants to know how the sausage is made.

At SpaceX we had an ethos of scrappiness. The results are amazing. But scrappiness is one letter away from crappiness. And when you have a team of hundreds of a large project, somebody ends up being less scrappy and more crappy.

but the system identifies and corrects the failure quickly.

let’s just say there will always be casualties - but they’re always addressed. Early customers are truly beta testers. I’ve been willing to do it twice and I’ll do it again for cybertruck.

Edit: just to add

This stage of manufacturing had an engineer. That person may have had many other stages of manufacturing. That person is designing, improving, qualifying, and sourcing every detail of those stages of manufacturing.

and that person probably feels awful today

Obviously (if you read the insider story in the original OPs post) this stage of manufacturing did not mature in time. I’d bet a lot of money the dev team is working automation already - it’s just how their system works.

I worked on the dev side at SpaceX, and with them for everything I did.

It’s very logical and conclusion based. From the “insider description”, this is the ugly side of meeting a tight schedule. The reason this occurred is that stage of manufacturing did not mature in time. It’s impossible for this to be amazing, perfect, and fast. Every stage of manufacturing is constantly being improved on a priority of impact basis.

Bumpers will fall off, then never again.

hvac will smell like mold, then never again

Panels will be grossly bad, then never again

12V battery will wreak havoc, then never again

and now a roof.

paint will be paint cause California.

Last edited:
Lots of pre-market capping games going on this morning. Someone is working very hard to keep TSLA from rising too much. There have been unusually large orders, especially for pre-market, put in to try to prevent the stock from rising too much. It is the usual pattern of putting in a very large order just above the current ask price, and then pulling the order once the desired result is achieved. The orders do not align with someone trying to achieve top dollar for their sales.

US market according to Cox Automotive

saupload_cox_thumb1.png
Nice to see the rear view mirror getting more populated. Volvo, Mitsubishi and Jaguar-Land Rover all behind us now. 2021 should see Tesla pass BMW, Mazda and Daimler in the USA. VW and Subaru at around 400,000 cars are not likely to be caught until 2022. When Austin starts cranking out Model Y’s, I’d expect Model 3 and Y to have some price cuts that will expand the market demand by another 50%. Market share will also continue to expand based on consumer knowledge of Tesla, perceived quality improvements, retained value and tech leadership. The Apple like brand image of Tesla versus everyone else.

Just received the message below from my UK broker about a mini-tender from Ponos Industries LLC, who want to buy up to 500k TSLA shares at $420 (I'm not making this up!). I'm not selling any shares, but would be interested to know if anyone knows anything more about this.

It says that Ponos will only go ahead with the purchase if the SP is above $420 when the offer completes. Who would agree to sell their shares for less than the market price?! :eek:

View attachment 595520

I got one from HL as well. Not sure that such a contract would be legal in UK. Sales of Goods Act, Distance Selling regulations etc.

Seems a VERY BAD offer, very odd, presumably taking advantage of people who aren't following Tesla closely.

I got one from HL as well. Not sure that such a contract would be legal in UK. Sales of Goods Act, Distance Selling regulations etc.

Seems a VERY BAD offer, very odd, presumably taking advantage of people who aren't following Tesla closely.
This sort of offer verges on a scam. Best advice is to ignore.