Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe a poll about whether this board should be private.
I have only been on TMC about 3 years and I mostly lurk but I would like to see it private and maybe membership should cost something.

I like knowing that most of the posters on here suffered through gorden johnson and the others

Anyone joining or lurking now might have no idea what many of us went through holding and buying more through all of that FUD (And that's important)

This idea has come up before, including more than 3 years ago. If we had done it then, we would have shut out a whole new generation of investors, including you.

This has been mentioned recently, but this thread has been instrumental in allowing so many of us to hold for so long in the face of FUD. It would be detrimental to TSLA to deprive future retail shareholders of the crowdsourced info here that has helped make so many of us very nice profits.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/bigboy-jpg.618831/

Am I missing something? I read 100, 000 shares traded 68 M$ ...
It had 10x on it, but apparently that was erroneous. It was 100k.

Looking good for crossing $700 around 3pm IMO. That's about +5% from here. What happens after 3pm......lord only knows.

I do find this pause contingency info quite interesting. Lets say we hit +10% at 3:36 and there's a circuit breaker pause, what does that mean for closing cross? The scenarios were spelled out, but this tells me that basically there's no closing cross trading possibly above ~$720?

That's interesting enough, but then after-hour trading re-commences immediately after the closing cross. This should be a very wild 3:50-8pm. I'm still predicting carryover into Monday as I can see both sides getting stubborn after the closing cross today.

So I went and looked into this Limit-on-close order idea a few people mentioned...

Fidelity has 2 fields to fill in when selling-

Order type, where I can pick market, limit, stop loss, stop limit, and various trailing choices).

If I pick market then in the other field- time in force - I can pick market close, on market open, or day.

BUT.

If I pick limit on type, time in force options totally change.... now they show:

Day, GTC, Fill or Kill, Immediate or Cancel, and On Open

But NOT on close.

Over at Merrill Edge, if I select Limit for type, my ONLY choices for duration are Day or GTC.

So no ability to put in a limit on close sell on either far as I can see.

(doesn't look like even market on close is an option for Merrill, though it is for Fidelity)
I was about to ask for help on the TD site as I can't seem to find the "on close" option. All I have now is GTC+Ext. Maybe it's being blocked?

Which site offers this feature to Sell on Close?

No. I'm saying that they would have to provide the actual shares, which they can't do nakedly to an institution because the institution would register them and the seller would have to replace them (for the seller's account). They wouldn't be able to naked short in the same way they do for retail investors where they can keep the virtual shares going for a very long time (until the next split). Not being an expert, I'm probably not saying this very well.

If I buy some Tesla shares, I'm a shareholder of record just as the funds are. So I don't see why it would be any more difficult for a naked short-seller to sell to a fund than to you or I. The rules are the same.

My belief in how naked short-selling gets out of hand is that it's quasi-legal. There is a delay between when a share is sold short and when it needs to be delivered. @FrankSG has detailed it more than once here and there are different time limits and exceptions, etc. that have plenty of potential for abuse when there is money to be made. I believe MM's have a way of "floating" these shares in a circle like having 5 checking accounts and writing checks in circles. This worked back in the day when checks were not transmitted electronically and when accounts were based upon trust and good faith. The banks have put an end to individual's ability to "float" checks but we all know the market regulators still have a "trust" relationship with the financial industry that is very comparable to the old banker/client relationship. And, as long as the shares are always eventually made whole, no one's the wiser.

It had 10x on it, but apparently that was erroneous. It was 100k.

Looking good for crossing $700 around 3pm IMO. That's about +5% from here. What happens after 3pm......lord only knows.

I do find this pause contingency info quite interesting. Lets say we hit +10% at 3:36 and there's a circuit breaker pause, what does that mean for closing cross? The scenarios were spelled out, but this tells me that basically there's no closing cross trading possibly above ~$720?

That's interesting enough, but then after-hour trading re-commences immediately after the closing cross. This should be a very wild 3:50-8pm. I'm still predicting carryover into Monday as I can see both sides getting stubborn after the closing cross today.

Based on what @enzo shared upthread, a +10% circuit breaker trip in the last few minutes would extend the closing cross out to 5PM if I understood correctly. As he said, the reference documents were outdated.

So I went and looked into this Limit-on-close order idea a few people mentioned...

Order type, where I can pick market, limit, stop loss, stop limit, and various trailing choices).

If I pick market then in the other field- time in force - I can pick market close, on market open, or day.

BUT.

If I pick limit on type, time in force options totally change.... now they show:

But NOT on close.

Over at Merrill Edge, if I select Limit for type, my ONLY choices for duration are Day or GTC.

(doesn't look like even market on close is an option for Merrill, though it is for Fidelity)
Yeah, I just canceled all my afternoon and evening plans, not sure why I had any in the first place! We're just gonna have to sit in front of several screens and do this manually until 8pm.

Only concern is that I'm starting drinking at 5 Eastern regardless.

I was about to ask for help on the TD site as I can't seem to find the "on close" option. All I have now is GTC+Ext. Maybe it's being blocked?

I had it on the ThinkOrSwim mobile app, and I think someone said ThinkOrSwim desktop had it as well. They're labeled LOC for limit and MOC for market.

This idea has come up before, including more than 3 years ago. If we had done it then, we would have shut out a whole new generation of investors, including you.

This has been mentioned recently, but this thread has been instrumental in allowing so many of us to hold for so long in the face of FUD. It would be detrimental to TSLA to deprive future retail shareholders of the crowdsourced info here that has helped make so many of us very nice profits.
If this ever happened I am pretty sure I would be one of the first kicked of the island...and @Krugerrand has made it clear I can't get on her's without a fight...so I am against any "private" forum.

I think all the Twitter noobs would have a hard time finding this thread on the website before giving up :) Hope we don’t washed out.

Side note: Macros are god awful, Congress is awful, Tesla kicks ass.

The guy on Bloomberg video is inspiring to HODL. Good for him!

In other news...

All of my solar stocks are exploding.

Is there any specific news out there because I cannot find it.

Possibly not Tesla related: A little news on Nano One: Nano One Enters into a Cathode Evaluation Agreement

Vancouver, Canada (TSX-V: NNO) (OTC-Nasdaq Intl Designation: NNOMF) (Frankfurt: LBMB). Nano One® CEO Mr. Dan Blondal is pleased to announce that Nano One has entered into a cathode evaluation and benchmark agreement with an American based multinational auto manufacturer to jointly evaluate Nano One’s cathode materials for automotive lithium ion batteries. Financial compensation towards the project is confidential.

There are only three companies that meet those criteria that I am aware of:
  • Ford
  • GM
  • Tesla
Ford: Hasn't shown any interest in getting in to batteries.
GM: Partnered with LG, so maybe but doesn't seem likely.
That leaves: Tesla... But they have been working on their own cathode...

BUT.

But NOT on close.

WTF, both TD Ameritrade and Fidelity had these as options last night. That is VERY odd. I even searched Fidelity's help terms for Limit on Close to make sure I understood it.

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax
Semi OT while we wait for the fireworks later today.
-Cathie wood interview out today, that's always relevant right?

Top picks going forward:
Tesla
Invitae
Square
Roku
Crispr

Will attempt to open a vehicle next year for retail to own private companies - can't do an ETF under current rules

The latest ARK / Resolute concerns mostly alleviated, both sides just wanted to start negotiations, both sides Need to come to an agreement, ie Cathie cannot start a new fund has non compete agreements among other things.

Last edited:

I read it as making it only viewable to registered/logged in users. That would allow newer people to join and learn but make it harder for casual viewers to follow.