Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10:15 ET Update:

TSLA SP: $727.15
UpperBB: $727.82

Diff: -$0.67 :p

TSLA.2021-01-05.10-15.png

“It is our best understanding that, if we bring down CO2 to net zero, the warming will level off. The climate will stabilize within a decade or two,” he said. “There will be very little to no additional warming. Our best estimate is zero.”

The widespread idea that decades, or even centuries, of additional warming are already baked into the system, as suggested by previous IPCC reports, were based on an “unfortunate misunderstanding of experiments done with climate models that never assumed zero emissions.”

Many Scientists Now Say Global Warming Could Stop Relatively Quickly After Emissions Go to Zero - Inside Climate News

“It is our best understanding that, if we bring down CO2 to net zero, the warming will level off. The climate will stabilize within a decade or two,” he said. “There will be very little to no additional warming. Our best estimate is zero.”

The widespread idea that decades, or even centuries, of additional warming are already baked into the system, as suggested by previous IPCC reports, were based on an “unfortunate misunderstanding of experiments done with climate models that never assumed zero emissions.”

Many Scientists Now Say Global Warming Could Stop Relatively Quickly After Emissions Go to Zero - Inside Climate News
So what they're saying is, if we have current warming of, say, +1.5C, we will stay at +1.5C and not get warmer than that? Or the "warming" will disappear and go back down to pre-industrial levels?

Nice jump in the stock back into the green. $734

So what they're saying is, if we have current warming of, say, +1.5C, we will stay at +1.5C and not get warmer than that? Or the "warming" will disappear and go back down to pre-industrial levels?

Nice jump in the stock back into the green. $734

"The idea that global warming could stop relatively quickly after emissions go to zero was described as a “game-changing new scientific understanding” by Covering Climate Now, a collaboration of news organizations covering climate.

“This really is true,” he said. “It’s a dramatic change in the paradigm that has been lost on many who cover this issue, perhaps because it hasn’t been well explained by the scientific community. It’s an important development that is still under appreciated.”“It’s definitely the scientific consensus now that warming stabilizes quickly, within 10 years, of emissions going to zero,” he said."

What a gold mine investment opportunity Tesla is!

I haven't been posting much about options because everything is moving along with no major issues. Altho some seem to think the rise and stops along with drops is a battle.... on the options side it's just business as usual lately. Things are moving at a rate THEY are able to buy and sell what they need to keep themselves rather profitable as the SP moves around. I like this myself because selling OTM spreads (PUTs for now) means I can easily profit at a safe distance BEHIND the steam roller.

Last week one would have thought the price would not move above $700 looking at open interest for this Friday. Since the price dropped where it did yesterday THEY where able to sell PUTs to backup Calls all the way up to 715. I imagine they may even be able to sell PUTs through 730 today. I think they are just letting Mr Marker move as needed. I wonder if this will be a new thing now that the sp500 is in?.... MMs mind their manners.

TODAY...
TSLA 01-08ey 05MON.png

Yesterday showing last weeks.... note around 700-715.
TSLA 01-08ey 04MON.png

The Taycan drives just as a Porsche does...
On the other hand I do have a Peugeot e208GT on order so what do I know? (I was not ready to shell out >US$200,000 for a Taycan here in Rio de Janeiro).
And there you go. Without the Taycan the next time there’s an unplowed 200mm of snow between Leme and Leblon you’re going to be skidding like a Largo Mar sidewalk. Sheesh.

66.7% pure electric cars registered in Norway in December. And Tesla topped the list with the Model 3.

Pure fossils was 7.5% which leaves 25.8% for the hybrids.

View attachment 624425
Source and complete list: Registreringsstatistikken | Opplysningsrådet for veitrafikken

For the whole year of 2020 pure electrics are at 54%, hybrids at 29% and fossils at 17%. The Audi e-tron was the most sold car of 2020 with 9,227 registered.

According to CleanTechnica 30,181 e-trons and 63,086 were sold in Europe in the first 11 months of 2020. In Norway in this 11 month period 8,773 e-trons and 3,538 Model 3s were sold.

Which means that Audi sells 29.1% and Tesla 5.6% of their total European sales in Norway in this 11 month period.

Source: Record Electric Vehicle Sales In Europe!

shhhhh... keep it quiet...
You might upset Gordo and he comes out shouting that Tesla is losing market share somewhere else (maybe Zimbabwe?)

His fund is all mama and papas money.

My guess - they finally caught on to his obsession with $tsla and forbid him to waste money on us anymore.

Hence - he figured, whats another way to short Tesla without shorting Tesla = ARK. :D

Makes sense. His sugar daddy forbade the shooting of heroin so now he sits around all day smoking opium.:rolleyes:

As if that's OK with daddy. :cool:

This is getting annoying. S&P based funds NEVER have to own a fixed number of shares: the own (or compare their holdings to) a WEIGHT which is a percentage fraction of their total capital.

On Dec 31, 2020, TSLA's weight in the S&P 500 index was 1.690187% so if an index fund had $100 B in assets under managment, they'd want about $1.69B worth of TSLA (NOT a fixed number of shares).

The number of shares they buy or sell would be determined by the Closing SP. Do the math.

But here's the point: it's absolute NONSENSE to imagine ANY scheme where the S&P Committee could tell an individual fund how many shares to buy. The Committee does NOT know how much capital any particular fund manages on a day-to-day basis. Look at how fast ARK Invest is attracting capital. You think they make daily reports to S&P DJI?

Bah! /rant

Yes, yes, I've heard the rant before. But thank you for missing my question entirely. Let me ask it another way to appease your OCD. Before the S&P index inclusion, it was expected that $86B of TSLA needed to be owned by the index tracking funds. According to that ETF tracking site, only $40B worth have been added so far. So does that mean that some of those tracking funds are behind on their adding of TSLA into their funds?

OR are you saying that $40B is all those S&P tracking ETF's have had to include (which translates to a less than 1% weighting then)?

Reactions: capster
from what I've read there's quite a few people who would prefer the Taycan for build quality and driving dynamics (e.g. Marques Brownlee). But I've never driven a Taycan so I can't compare first hand.

That doesn't point to legacy auto having a lead in driving dynamics.

Tesla designs with efficiency as a metric of leading importance. You can get more sporty driving dynamics (ala Porche Taycan) at the expense of rolling resistance. Tesla doesn't even make a true sports car (although they design in as much sportiness as is compatible with efficiency in all their car designs). There are multiple reasons why the Taycan can't meet the efficiency of the much larger Model S but the steering geometry is likely one of them. Everything is a compromise when engineering a new vehicle.

Yes, yes, I've heard the rant before. But thank you for missing my question entirely. Let me ask it another way to appease your OCD. Before the S&P index inclusion, it was expected that $86B of TSLA needed to be owned by the index tracking funds. According to that ETF tracking site, only $40B worth have been added so far. So does that mean that some of those tracking funds are behind on their adding of TSLA into their funds?

OR are you saying that $40B is all those S&P tracking ETF's have had to include (which translates to a less than 1% weighting then)?
No, because tracking funds can be mutual funds or ETFs. We're only looking at the ETFs. ETFs have become increasingly more popular but I believe mutual funds still have more AUM. Also, an ETF can be an index fund or a tracking fund. So, you have to subtract the index ETFs from that $40B to know how much tracking ETFs have added.

No, because tracking funds can be mutual funds or ETFs. We're only looking at the ETFs. ETFs have become increasingly more popular but I believe mutual funds still have more AUM. Also, an ETF can be an index fund or a tracking fund. So, you have to subtract the index ETFs from that $40B to know how much tracking ETFs have added.

Thank you for the succinct answer!

Reactions: dl003
Some people have the tendency to short all the best performing stocks and tech ETFs out there.
Shorting TSLA
Shorting QQQ
then shorting ARK

I guess they all want to have a movie made about them like Michael Burry

Speaking of Michael Burry...didn't he recently publicly announce that he made a sizable short position against TSLA? Wonder how that is working out for him?