Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can read SAEJ3016 if you want detailed definitions of everything, but what I mention is widely cited elsewhere too, for example from the NHTSA-

There's also a well known chart from the SAE on this:

under L5 it says "This feature can drive the vehicle under all conditions"
Thank you for your time.

Omar extremely impressed with FSD beta 8.2. Two minute clip with car handling numerous challenging situations without intervention.
That is pretty remarkable - It's hard to imagine a situation where more individual items/events need to monitored simultaneously. If Tesla can handle something like this it really starts to feel that all that is needed is more data to feed the beast - but conceptually the current code has all the major pieces of the puzzle in place.

79% EV market share

I look forward to the analysts predicting Tesla's imminent demise if it drops to 78%

I have to admit I haven't been following the FSD beta rollout as closely and most on here. I just watched that video 5 times and sent it all my friends. Truly mind blowing! Now I just want to buy more stock on Monday.
I might not have been watching many FSD videos lately mainly because sometimes they are more than 10-15 minutes but this 2 minutes is making me believe it is happening before the end of 2022, might be before 2021. After listening to Sandy Munro and Cathie Wood, I became more and more convinced It will reach L5 sooner than expected. Really happy I bought the dip, extremely bullish too.

The part where the Tesla stopped to allow the car in front of it to parallel park triggered a question in my mind. Suppose the front end of the Tesla partially blocked the parking spot and the Tesla needed to back up to allow the front car to park, would FSD know what to do? What about other even more extreme edge cases such as where there is some kind of major obstruction in the road that causes all the cars to back up and turn around? I want to believe in level 5 autonomous driving but I have a hard time believing it.

It will back up if needed, it won't do it in a timely enough fashion to act as non verbal communication but there are plenty of videos of the car backing up to try again in various scenarios. Though honestly if it finds it has to back up it is just as likely to ask for the human to take over. Of course that will improve over time asking for the human less often in the future.

Last edited:
Can you provide the actual words/link for your "L5 assumes it can drive the car in all conditions a human can."

No, this is not the definition of level 5. There are many people here who don't understand the definition. The definitions don't specify any performance criteria for the feature. By comparing the performance to a human, you are creating a criteria. If you want further discussion on this, take a look here:

I might not have been watching many FSD videos lately mainly because sometimes they are more than 10-15 minutes but this 2 minutes is making me believe it is happening before the end of 2022, might be before 2021. After listening to Sandy Munro and Cathie Wood, I became more and more convinced It will reach L5 sooner than expected. Really happy I bought the dip, extremely bullish too.

Maybe, but Sandy Munroe knows nothing about developing this software