Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am coming to the conclusion that things are going to be pretty meh for much of the remainder of the year. Too many dont see the S curve and simply think that as soon as legacy automakers want to take over the market they will simply throw a switch. They think FSD is a fools errand, bitcoin sale in Q1 was desperate method to be profitable in the quarter, S/X refresh shows Tesla still is mature when it comes to releasing products, etc. etc.

Reactions: Skryll
As usual, people are panic selling. Elon said they're NOT selling their bitcoin, and accepting bitcoin for transactions is SUSPENDED until mining is done with renewable energy.

This is more like ringing the dinner bell for renewable bitcoin miners. I expect that Tesla themselves will create a solar powered bitcoin mining datacenter somewhere in the SW, and kick all the dirty coal powered mines to the curb (can't compete on prices).

It's not Elon's style to look at a problem, throw his hands in the heir, and walk away. No, our boy's got a plan to fix bitcoin forever, not to leave it be as a large emitter of carbon from grid electricity.

Baby, ur gettin' a bath!

Cheers!
Bitcoin and other crypto are not aligned with Tesla mission statement at the moment ... Elon will move to rectify the situation

I recall manganese nodule "mining" from the TV back in the 80's, might even have been the 70's, maybe Tomorrow's World on the BBC - sounded like it was pretty easy back then, just a big underwater vacuum-cleaner, basically

But indeed, deep sea is hard, very similar conditions to space
Things that were once impossible become possible.

The question is always have the stars aligned such that something once impossible has become possible? I use the term "stars aligned" in the roughly technical sense: The conjunction of a set of trajectories relevant to a particular outcome. In the case of deep sea mining, that would include things like the value of the minerals, the pace of robotics development, and so on—but I’m really trying to communicate a couple of points on the general case.

It makes me skeptical of @StealthP3D’s approach to assessing innovation when he says:

Deep sea engineering is hard. ... It needs people with industrial/marine/mining engineering experience on an appropriate scale. ...

... A quick search shows BIG is an architectural group but I can't see they have industrial/marine engineering experience. This seems like the type of project that needs a lot of another kind of expertise, especially in the early stages when they are designing the method.

It is often, usually even, folks from the "outside" that drive transformative innovation. Experts very often view probable progress in their field linearly—meaning too conservatively—including engineers, especially those in a group. Elon Musk did not get an engineering degree; neither did Steve Jobs nor did Bill Gates. This is not news.

What is? Experts are likely not becoming (much) quicker to appreciate the changes in an innovative landscape, yet these landscapes are changing (much) more rapidly. This suggest to me that investors will need to look even more often to outsiders—especially in those early stages.

Also, it behooves us to show a little compassion when dealing with innovators and their innovations. I’ve been on the side of an "outsider" advocating this idea or that innovation: That is hard especially when facing engineers (or a spouse) being "skeptical" or "practical" or "realistic." It can drain the life out of you because, as they say, if many get it, it’s probably too late.

I’m not saying to go easy on people’s ideas (I’ve also been on the other side—evaluating innovators and ideas and quite a few). I’m saying be mindful of what they are expending and investing when they are speaking to you. Try to give them something in return (you can give a little energy back, maybe some encouragement or gently plant a seed for a change of direction), particularly because you’re not going to invest/participate in the vast majority of cases.

We need all the innovators we can get after all. We can all can become better investors as well better participants in the innovation ecosystem.

when you don’t rally on record production and deliveries, a hard end point,
the near term motivation to buy diminishes.

now the stock seems to move mostly in sympathy with the negative external events.
moreover, the Bitcoin adventure is now being used to cast doubts on the main business.

at this point the negative narrative can only be reversed with strong deliveries and production.
As a stock holder, I am puzzled by the statement that Bitcoin will not be sold. Is there not a fiduciary conflict to categorically state that no matter the situation (loss maybe), the asset/investment will not be sold? It would seem better to say that all assets are regularly reviewed. Pompliano rushed on CNBC today and stated that "EM between Tesla, SpaceX and personally owns billions of dollars of Bitcoin". It all seems so unnecessarily conflicted.

Short lived bounces for sure. Some headline stocks are up. Everything else continues to get crushed.

I got red across the board. Doesn't help that I invest in renewable world for the future.

I mean in this market....

EDIT: Also volumes are missing in all the individual stocks. The QQQs show above average, but most stocks tracking at or below average. Capitulations don't tend to happen unless we see above average volume. This has been a continuous buyer strike for the most part since February. At least for equities. Not NFTs :D.

Last edited:
I try to keep up with the bear thesis from time to time to validate my long term TSLA hold position. One such article that I came across is from Seeking Alpha. I am aware this is one of favorite platforms for TSLAQ. This article speculates that the rise in Tesla price last was due to a gamma squeeze and that the gamma squeeze will unwind dropping the price. Any experts that care to comment on this as I do know much about options or its impact on share price to figure out if there is any basis for this.

I definitely agree with one thing. This BTC nonsense muddled the story. Introduced volatility and risk for absolutely zero reason, upsetting tree huggers and fomo traders in the process.
Indeed, the Tesla adventure with bitcoins may have led to concerns by some institutional and retail investors, along with potential car customers. A stronger board of directors would likely have overruled corporate involvement with such uncertain, volatile and environmentally questionable currency. I suspect that the halting of acceptance of cryptocurrency for car purchases may soon be followed by the divesture of such holdings in the Tesla treasury, and perhaps even the ending of Elon's tweets about the subject.

Indeed, the Tesla adventure with bitcoins may have led to concerns by some institutional and retail investors, along with potential car customers. A stronger board of directors would likely have overruled corporate involvement with such uncertain, volatile and environmentally questionable currency. I suspect that the halting of acceptance of cryptocurrency for car purchases may soon be followed by the divesture of such holdings in the Tesla treasury, and perhaps even the ending of Elon's tweets about the subject.

My problem is the whipsaw positions. BTC environmental fleas are well known. Either you agree with them, or you side with the argument that they are exaggerated and that everything costs energy.

The idea that Tesla first poured money in crypto and then started looking around for issues with it... this really bothers me. It makes no sense.

I try to keep up with the bear thesis from time to time to validate my long term TSLA hold position. One such article that I came across is from Seeking Alpha. I am aware this is one of favorite platforms for TSLAQ. This article speculates that the rise in Tesla price last was due to a gamma squeeze and that the gamma squeeze will unwind dropping the price. Any experts that care to comment on this as I do know much about options or its impact on share price to figure out if there is any basis for this.
Gamma squeeze and the converse is a thing, and as the stock drops there's no doubt that delta-hedging on ATM positions that are now DOTM will happen

But the oddest thing, and sorry, but I won't click in the article, maybe this is covered, is that $TSLA is not isolated, the whole EV/renewable sector has followed the sae trajectory, as far as I can tell without any regard to individual news, FUD or fundamentals of the stocks involved

So that begs the question whether it's a sector thing and hedges are doing this fake rotation that has been talked about so much - and seems pretty stupid given that EV/renewables are booming and the way ahead - or whether it is targeted at $TSLA and the rest that rode Tesla's coattails up are just now following $TSLA down?

If Bitcoin crashes, how will that affect Tesla stock, that might be motivating
some of the selling now.
That is very unlikely IMO. Big players have moved into BTC and spent lots of resources to sell to their clients or hold themselves. Absolute worst case Tesla winds back up at break even with their purchase.

This is another example where shareholders should be updated - "yes we planned to start deliveries in February, but because of A, B, C & D, it's now end May" - honestly, the truth is far less damaging than all the speculation and FUD

Also for GF3 - was it shutdown for two weeks in April? Was this planned? If yes, how about communicating this ahead of time, rather than waiting for it to manifest in lower-than-expected production figures and a second-hand rumour from someone on Twitter

Is that really so hard to do?
That's what happens when all corp comm has to go through one man's twitter account, a man with a family and who runs several companies.