Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It says why not S/X down below....

Why aren’t Model S and Model X transitioning now?
Model 3 and Model Y are our higher volume vehicles. Transitioning them to Tesla Vision first allows us to analyze a large volume of real-world data in a short amount of time, which ultimately speeds up the roll-out of features based on Tesla Vision.

Translation
1. We wont save that much money by not including the radar in the 1,000 model S/X vs the huge savings of removing it from 50,000+ cars
2. We already built the model S/X post refresh models and it would cost money to remove it from them

Teslarati might have given us a boost today. I'm quite pleased with how it has matured into a bona-fide outlet. We need more of these to fight back.
1621968870988.png

They've probably been A/B testing this for a while now.

Green said just a couple days ago -all- production released firmware still has radar on and being used, including both active branches out there (the 3 octet one and 4)

The difference was the 4 octet branch had additional NNs that could operate without radar- but were still actively using radar right now.

It says why not S/X down below....

Why aren’t Model S and Model X transitioning now?
Model 3 and Model Y are our higher volume vehicles. Transitioning them to Tesla Vision first allows us to analyze a large volume of real-world data in a short amount of time, which ultimately speeds up the roll-out of features based on Tesla Vision.

I saw that, but you'd think if they're confident enough to roll out it on cars they make 5-10 times more of, doing it on S would be a no brainer.

Hmmm..... Looks to me like the reports of Teslas stored waiting parts may be correct. All those cars parked against the fence, some with dust on them, and all the ones with their rear hatch open sure look like a parts problem.
OK, I was just having fun with the gov't vehicle theory... but at 5-10K vehicles produced/week in Fremont (wild guess), there would be a lot more of these around in a hurry were it for missing parts. So I'm really not buying any theories here so far, except my own of course ;)

Tesla North - today: Tesla Takes 33% of Canada’s EV Rebates

Excerpt:

According to The Canadian Press, about one-third of these federal rebates in Canada have gone to Tesla, based on data from Transport Canada. The program offers rebates of up to $5,000 CAD on new ZEV purchases.

Data shows Tesla received $102 million of the $296 million in rebates sent to dealerships selling EVs, from at least 15 different companies. Total program claims saw the Tesla Model 3 take roughly 25%, says Transport Canada.

It’s totally normal to have high scrap yield during trials of new parts like castings and body panels. That’s why you do trials, to work on the new equipment, die and mold setups. This is not plug and play, folks. Lots of programming needs to be done and adjustments. This is intricate, complicated equipment and processes.

Please, fake it until you make it. You’re making us all look bad .
It takes a Gigapress to test variations in alloys. You don't interrupt parts production to test.

Last edited:

Bipartisan group of senators prepares new infrastructure plan as talks stall between White House and GOP

The still forming compromise is expected to jettison some of President Biden’s proposals that have struggled to attract Republican support, including his plan to couple infrastructure investments with new federal aid targeting elder care and low-income families. Gone, too, are likely to be the president’s proposed funds for electric vehicles, Romney said.

breaking news from Tesla:

Transitioning to Tesla Vision
We are continuing the transition to Tesla Vision, our camera-based Autopilot system. Beginning with deliveries in May 2021, Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built for the North American market will no longer be equipped with radar. Instead, these will be the first Tesla vehicles to rely on camera vision and neural net processing to deliver Autopilot, Full-Self Driving and certain active safety features. Customers who ordered before May 2021 and are matched to a car with Tesla Vision will be notified of the change through their Tesla Accounts prior to delivery.

@Knightshade
Tesla Vision :cool:
this is huge !!! FSD is the best engineering mgmt tool ever ... we will create Tesla Vision for FSD and along the way we will remove unnecessary parts that aid the drivers weaknesses

Radar, side mirrors , rear view mirror , etc saving parts and labor costs , improve reliability and safety at the same time...

I have always felt that level 5 FSD was not that important for tremendous success ... it is a fantastic goal .... sort of like Mars for space X

FSD goal drives continuous improvement improve SW feature remove HW part one step closer to level 5 FSD...lower cost increase margins ... virtuous cycle

Working for ICE OEM 🦕
can you imagine working at an OEM ....it must suck .... the pace of innovation at Tesla is insane ..." they did what now ???"o_O

My Model S 🐢
Anecdotally my only significant problem(this is relative) with my Model S in 4 years was my Side view mirrors not folding ... no part is the best part ... w/o side view mirrors i would have had no major problems... i am covered for the MCU flash recall/issue but i have not had any symptoms yet..

my 2017 model S is still a great car .... but it is so inferior to the refresh model S it seems antiquated... in only 4 years...

my 4 year warranty recently expired but I am no longer worried ... i remember what a neophyte i was thinking "will this car last 4 years " not only has it lasted but it is a much improved vehicle just got an OTA SW update last night ...

I want my Cyber truck dammit ⚡

TSLA Stock
💰
this TSLA buying opportunity is truly amazing ... in for 665 shares so far in 2021 ...DCA price $612 per share so slightly under water at the moment on these purchases... all out of powder now and past my goal been accumulating since 2018 ....this really could be one of the last great entry point ... this Tesla Vision news is very bullish IMO yet the SP is pegged....$600....

as always not advice just my ramblings on a slow day on TMC

cheers

Last edited:

Bipartisan group of senators prepares new infrastructure plan as talks stall between White House and GOP

The still forming compromise is expected to jettison some of President Biden’s proposals that have struggled to attract Republican support, including his plan to couple infrastructure investments with new federal aid targeting elder care and low-income families. Gone, too, are likely to be the president’s proposed funds for electric vehicles, Romney said.

Lol, Romney must really hate Ford (because that's the only U.S. automaker such a policy would affect negatively). More likely, the plan goes through as advertised via reconciliation.

Just flagging some pending-order page code changes for the US that might reveal some future pricing plans for FSD.

References to EAP have been re-added, and some of the new strings seem to suggest that FSD will require EAP to be purchased first (so EAP + FSD adds to $14,000).

{
"add_after_delivery":"$4,000 if added after delivery",
"add_after_delivery_fsd":"$10,000 if added after delivery",
"add_after_delivery_base":"$3,000 if added after delivery",
"add_base":"Yes, add Autopilot ($0). Your pricing will be updated. I acknowledge I will not be able to make any further changes to my vehicle.",
"add_full":"Yes, add Full Self-Driving ($10,000). Your pricing will be updated. I acknowledge I will not be able to make any further changes to my vehicle.",
"additional_due":"Additional Due: $4,000",
"additional_due_basic":"Additional Due: $0",
"additional_due_fsd":"Additional Due: $10,000",
"additional_due_both":"Additional Due: $10,000",
"after_delivery_price":"$4,000",
"autopilot_price":"$4,000",
"base_autopilot_price":"$0",
"is_base_ap_free":true,
"just_remove_autopilot":"Yes, remove Enhanced Autopilot ($4,000). Your pricing will be updated. ",
"remove_autopilot":"Yes, remove Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving ($14,000). Your pricing will be updated. ",
"remove_basic":"Yes, remove Autopilot ($0). Your pricing will be updated. I acknowledge I will not be able to make any further changes to my vehicle.",
"remove_fsd_and_base":"Yes, remove Full Self-Driving and Autopilot. I acknowledge I will not be able to make any further changes to my vehicle.",
"remove_fsd_keep_base":"Yes, remove Full Self-Driving ($10,000) and keep Autopilot. I acknowledge I will not be able to make any further changes to my vehicle.",
"self_driving_price":"$10,000"
}

Color me a bit surprised they are doing this so fast. Would have thought Tesla would want a large amount of cars testing this in all sorts of conditions with radar disabled. Then once happy with results stop installing radar. Now they have potential of having to recall cars if something goes wrong.
I'm sure they've been testing it for 10s if not 100s of millions of miles in shadow mode.

Ah, the beauty of over-the-air updates...

Transitioning to Tesla Vision
We are continuing the transition to Tesla Vision, our camera-based Autopilot system. Beginning with deliveries in May 2021, Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built for the North American market will no longer be equipped with radar. Instead, these will be the first Tesla vehicles to rely on camera vision and neural net processing to deliver Autopilot, Full-Self Driving and certain active safety features. Customers who ordered before May 2021 and are matched to a car with Tesla Vision will be notified of the change through their Tesla Accounts prior to delivery.

I really like the name "Tesla Vision". I wish they'd ditch the name Autopilot and FSD and simply call it all Tesla Vision instead! :cool:

Lol, Romney must really hate Ford (because that's the only U.S. automaker such a policy would affect negatively). More likely, the plan goes through as advertised via reconciliation.

Did you mean GM?

Ford still has tons of free money coming under the existing EV credit.

GM is the one who ran out and needs a new one.

Though they're trying to slip in something to hit all EVs-
Romney said they also would seek to rethink the way vehicle owners pay taxes — tying the gas tax to inflation, for example, while requiring owners of electric vehicles for the first time to pay similar fees.

• Informative
Reactions: Skryll and ZsoZso