Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, a slow transition from ICE to EV would have benefited Legacy Auto as they would have had time to slowly increase margins on EVs as it cannibalized their ICE vehicles. If they started in earnest in 2012, even just building their capability slowly and developing partnerships with suppliers, etc, they would be in better shape now.
They felt no urgency to get started as they likely thought the EV transition was years away . . . .not anticipating that a start-up like Tesla would accelerate the transition as it has.
“No urgency“ == hoping Tesla would die.

Will Elon claim the record for highest tax bill ever?

“Steve Cohen had to pay $3 billion in taxes.

And that is the largest amount of money ever paid in taxes by an individual.”
At least Elon pays his taxes, unlike some other 'billionaires'.....

1636904494027.png

I wish I did but can't change the order or my price will go up from $48K :)
😭😭😭 So the price will go up from when you ordered it. I get that.

If'n when my Model X Plaid becomes available, I'm thinking of asking them what the latest price at the time they contact me is and offering to pay that (I assume it will cost more) instead of what it was back when I ordered it. Just because Tesla and TSLA has been very good to me and it's just the right thing to do, and IMHO many on this thread could easily, and might want to do the same thing too.

Last edited:
Or extenders for the non-Tesla cars.

The superchargers have been laid out in a very clear manner to suit the Tesla charge port location. With a Tesla it is not physically possible to use the wrong charger based on where you park.

I am just surprised Tesla would start a trial without out a clear solution for EV's without the port on the left rear or right front.

The musings here would deteriorate the charging experience for everyone and are so bad that I feel compelled to log in and point to more a informed discussion on the topic.
Assumption: Tesla does not need to open all superchargers for non-Teslas, but can choose those that are suitable.
Also, readers need to familiarize themselves with the concept of blocking and non-blocking non-Teslas, to gain from this discussion.

Mods: As usual, feel free to nuke my posts...

We devote most of our posts in this forum to Tesla’s car business, but this is actually among the least impactful things that Musk is doing.

Which isn’t to say that electric cars, FSD and robotaxis aren’t impactful; rather there’s so many other bigger things that Musk is working on that deserve more attention. Here’s my prediction on how impactful Musk’s different initiatives will be, in order of increasing impact to mankind:

1) electrification of cars and trucks. This will reduce some of the world’s carbon footprint, but there are many other sources of carbon pollution that need to be addressed.

2) FSD and robotaxis. This will lower transportation costs and make a car ride easier, but there are limits to quality of life improvements in travel while traffic problems persist.

3) Tunnels. Tunnels will not only make more of a fundamental change to quality of life as it reduces traffic and reduces cars on city streets, but it will fundamentally change the way people live, work and play. When you can travel anywhere in an entire MSA in 15 minutes, you can live, work and play anywhere within an entire region.

4) Energy. The transition from fossil fuels to solar is mindblowingly impactful.

5) AI and robots. The impacts from this are even more mindblowingly impactful. Among the impacts will be the end of work as we know it.

6) Multiplanetary species. Maybe not so impactful in our lifetimes, but for the ultimate future of mankind….

I look forward to the tens of thousands of posts to come as all these impacts start to take shape.

I doubt the non-Tesla even understood they were blocking 2 stalls. They park in the wrong slot in order to to get cable access to their charging port and end up blocking 2 slots for Tesla's.
Not sure it matters. Knowingly, unknowingly, it's still unacceptable and because other EVs were never designed to be compatible with the SC network, it's a really problem with opening up the system to the existing fleet of non Tesla EVs. I hope that the pilot will provide Tesla with the information they need to decide whether to and/or how to open the network on a larger scale. Ironically and selfishly, having to wait for a non Tesla to supercharge at a Tesla SC station will likely always enrage me.

IIRC Elon said they won't start the ramp of CT until the Y has been ramped. So even if Tesla work out all the new manufacturing techniques for CT, production won't start in earnest until the Y line is working smoothly. That should give us some clarity on progress as we follow the production numbers in H1 next year.

I don't believe ramping of MY in Austin is going to delay start of CT ramp once the new techniques have bugs ironed out. Ramping of Austin battery production is more likely to restrain CT ramp rate.

Model Y has already successfully ramped in Fremont and China. The biggest changes from those ramps are reducing production steps, parts and robots needed, due to front and rear giga castings. V2 MY lines are very likely to ramp at a faster rate than the V1 lines - which ramped very well as far as I've heard.

Why aren't any other billionaires actively speaking up and taking any actions with their shares (ahem Bill Gates)? Why does Elon even have to entertain all this nonesense?

Bernie has like 6 properties and is richer than 99% of the US population...I'm so sick of these fake politicians who get to insider trade and make insane profits in the stock market. This is getting ridiculous. I respect Elon going against the "man", but jeeze this stock selling game is kind of annoying!

Anyone else notice estimated delivery times removed from order pages (USA)?
Anyone else notice that between the increasing long delivery times and constant price raises, that while Tesla is feasting at the "demand buffet" , that this is creating a terrible potential customer experience for many? Calling Austin and Berlin, do you hear me?

OT
So I have a Model X for order for March-April 2022.
However, I likely will need to push this out by a year to take delivery in 2023 instead. (other life priorities, means I likely won't need car for this year :) )
(Actually might even sell my Model 3 and order a new one for 2023)

So what happens, Does the price I agreed upon stay the same after one year? When I configure the vehicle in like Jan 23 - will I go to the end of line?

thanks.

Not sure it matters. Knowingly, unknowingly, it's still unacceptable and because other EVs were never designed to be compatible with the SC network, it's a really problem with opening up the system to the existing fleet of non Tesla EVs. I hope that the pilot will provide Tesla with the information they need to decide whether to and/or how to open the network on a larger scale. Ironically and selfishly, having to wait for a non Tesla to supercharge at a Tesla SC station will likely always enrage me.
Given Tesla is still relatively early in the ultimate supercharger rollout perhaps there's still time to redesign new chargers for longer cables and site layouts for more compatibility with other makes of vehicle. It might not fix issues at current sites but that would become less of a problem as the network of redesigned chargers grows.

How long until Tesla would want to upgrade v1 and v2 superchargers? Maybe once there's a bunch of large capacity vehicles (I.e. Cybertruck) driving around, or if 4680 charging speeds are better than estimated there could be some motivation to switch out the older chargers early to achieve higher speeds.

Given Tesla is still relatively early in the ultimate supercharger rollout perhaps there's still time to redesign new chargers for longer cables and site layouts for more compatibility with other makes of vehicle. It might not fix issues at current sites but that would become less of a problem as the network of redesigned chargers grows.

How long until Tesla would want to upgrade v1 and v2 superchargers? Maybe once there's a bunch of large capacity vehicles (I.e. Cybertruck) driving around, or if 4680 charging speeds are better than estimated there could be some motivation to switch out the older chargers early to achieve higher speeds.

Rather than Tesla change an efficient SuC design layout, shouldn't the other Car companies change their inefficient charging design?
Assume Tesla is going to be the largest SuC provider, design slots/positions that are going to work with Tesla SuC.

Tesla should give 6mths-1year for others to change and just ban the models that don't comply.

Anyone else notice that between the increasing long delivery times and constant price raises, that while Tesla is feasting at the "demand buffet" , that this is creating a terrible potential customer experience for many? Calling Austin and Berlin, do you hear me?

Exactly. There is a growing number of people that took Model 3/Y deliveries and the cars showed up without USB ports and wireless charging. THEY had to go poke support and ask what is up, because no one reached out to them to inform them that they will need a service appointment to get these installed once they are available (not installed due to chip shortage).

I have a pretty substantial interior trim rattle in my M3P and scheduled an appointment to have it looked it. The reply from service was a $168 estimate (while under warranty mind you) that said:
"Also wanted to inform you that any noises and rattles that don't require a part replacement and only require adjustments are not covered under the new vehicle limited warranty".

Even being a die-hard Tesla/TSLA fan, this just didn't sit well with me, considering I've mentioned the rattle in the car previously and they were "unable to duplicate it". And I don't have superman hearing.

Why aren't any other billionaires actively speaking up and taking any actions with their shares (ahem Bill Gates)? Why does Elon even have to entertain all this nonesense?

Bernie has like 6 properties and is richer than 99% of the US population...I'm so sick of these fake politicians who get to insider trade and make insane profits in the stock market. This is getting ridiculous. I respect Elon going against the "man", but jeeze this stock selling game is kind of annoying!
Because nobody else has the elephant 🥜.
Because people are shortsighted, selfish, stupid creatures.
Because people love being lied to when it boosts their sense of self worth.
Because people think you make money by hoarding it.

Don’t be annoyed, be grateful you aren’t one of ‘them’. Step back, look at the SP. Dude, 1T market cap and Tesla has barely scratched the surface. Buy with impunity and watch your capital flourish like a sunflower doused in Miracle Grow.

What you put out is returned to you x10, x100. Elon is going for God status and he doesn’t even know it, he’s just trying to do the right thing - always. Be like Elon.

I joked on another discussion that the best thing GM could do build out their charger network would be to move the charge port on their cars to the left rear. Probably too late for most manufacturers. Once these things are designed in they tend to stay even with new models.

Reactions: Lessmog and MikeC
“No urgency“ == hoping Tesla would die.
Yep. In 2013 my Ford C-Max energi was really a Prius killer. It had great tech but lacked 2 key areas that would have indicated an intent to take Tesla seriously.

Their battery tech was larval stage only. Enough to shame a Prius but completely lacking any serious progress toward a true EV. It was “buy off the shelf“ thinking.

Second, their thermal management consisted of electric fans.

Ford could have fixed this in the years after 2013 but we see from Sandy Munro’s Mach E analysis that even in 2021 their thermal management system was slapped together.

They are years behind due to a miscalculation from lack of imagination and sclerotic thinking.

This is the fertile ground of disruption. Tesla stock is driven by the recognition of disruption in progress.

Rather than Tesla change an efficient SuC design layout, shouldn't the other Car companies change their inefficient charging design?
Assume Tesla is going to be the largest SuC provider, design slots/positions that are going to work with Tesla SuC.

Tesla should give 6mths-1year for others to change and just ban the models that don't comply.
Exactly. Tesla already is doing everything. They should do everything for everyone else too who’s too stupid or willfully putting up barriers? Um, carrot cake!