Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We broke down from the bull flag (green & red) and now are stuck in a pennant (green & blue). The bull flag allowed for a much sooner breakout or breakdown (by mid December). The pennant, on the other hand, runs all the way to mid February. However, by early January the longer term trendline (orange) should provide stronger and higher support for the SP.
View attachment 742001

We broke down from the bull flag (green & red) and now are stuck in a pennant (green & blue). The bull flag allowed for a much sooner breakout or breakdown (by mid December). The pennant, on the other hand, runs all the way to mid February. However, by early January the longer term trendline (orange) should provide stronger and higher support for the SP.
View attachment 742001
LBGTQ Stock Market Metrics!

Agreed 100% 12/10 in China = 12/9 in US

For the record, Sawyer's Tweet twitter.com /SawyerMerritt/status/1468615730434383878
and the original video link on Weibo m.weibo.cn/u/3615027564#&video

View attachment 742021

I asked a guy at my favorite dumpling restaurant what this translates to, and he said:

"No more numerology in this thread or you will be banned."

Stellantis is Peugeot, Opel, Citroen Fiat, Chrysler etc etc and they've come together relatively recently, no surprise they are not a monolithic company like VAG group
Don't forget Renault also has a Tesla Killer

• Funny
Reactions: 15Peter20
Government as a business. That's all the EV Rebate is. I figured it out.
It bothered me that the Rebate/money is so haphazardly given. It's damn near stupid it is such an uncomplicated device.
So first I looked at why the Government is "giving money" so people will by an EV.
I got it. The Government wants EV's made within a geographic border that they can control for the purposes of taxation. All the crap about wanting to combat Global Warming is just Bull methane.
Now, I will give this to the Governments. They are not giving the money directly to the Private Sector Entities. We all know how that goes/ends. So I do like that the Government understands that. The Government needs the EV's made within their borders for the sake of "security...yeah a "secure" tax base.
This matches up with my pitiful understanding of why Governments give subsidies to big oil. The amount they pay in subsidies is probably more than recovered through taxation when the books are added up.
Same deal with EV manufacturing. It's all dollars and euros to the current business of Government.
I love that the EV rebate/incentive is shared with the buyer. And then only if an actual EV is made and sold.
I do not like that there is no buy back of the gas guzzlers like my 2008 Dodge Bighorn Ram Pick-up.
I Know I know. I am one stupid ant because I jsut stated why the EV incentive is like it is...but that provides another layer of support to what is the reason the government is doing an EV Rebate. Keeping its manufacturing tax Base.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rohan and bkp_duke
It's quite possible that they use the DD/MM date format the rest of the world outside of the US uses.....

EDIT: I watched the video - it does seem to be month月 day 日 (anyone fluent in Chinese able to confirm)?

Further EDIT @Mods: this is not numerology.....

month月 day日 — true dat, I remember something from my years in Japan.

Reactions: FS_FRA and traxila
Tomorrow is the "Model 2 - China" reveal. It might be named differetly.

If anything noteworthy (worth hyping) is happening for Tesla China on 12/10 it would have to be that. Elon has already told us they expect to be shipping that vehicle in 2023 (+/- steering wheel), so revealing it a year before production makes sense. And if it truly is a smaller/cheaper version of 3/Y, with high parts homology, we can expect them to be able to ramp it very quickly, just like Y. The thing will have eleventy billion pre-orders in 24 hours.

Maybe i missed being reported, but the court hearing on the water case concerning Giga Berlin has been postponed indefinitely according to a you tube report.

Maybe i missed being reported, but the court hearing on the water case concerning Giga Berlin has been postponed indefinitely according to a you tube report.
A - doesn't directly involve tesla

B - Current status is good so a delay means they carry on

Reactions: Thumper
More Commentary on the 52,859 Shanghai November Wholesale Number

Excellent comments from fellow members on the Shanghai November number. So I have little to add.
I do want to tag on to @Lycanthrope 's comment that the number may have been effected by logistics.

It's my understanding that a vehicle counts as a wholesale sales in China when the car gets loaded on a ship or delivered to a dealership (for Tesla the Delivery Center). That's why the sales are referred to as Wholesale sales.

Shanghai's Luchao port is 20 min from Tesla's GF3. In October, Tesla loaded ships on Oct 29, 30 and 31 meaning much of what was produced counted as a Wholesale sale as it was loaded 20 min away.
In November, Tesla stopped loading on Nov 19. There were 11 days of production that went onto truck carriers to be delivered to delivery centers some with up to 2-3 days transit time. I believe that there are 3-4 days of production in transit and some sitting in the logistics lot waiting for carriers.

My guess is that production in November was 59,000 units resulting in a 6,141 inventory build.
We will know better once production is reported in 10 days or so.
Number in yellow below is my estimate.

View attachment 741948
I did mention it on this thread at the time that I thought many people were overestimating the actual October Production number as the Oct Wholesale number included an export ship full of cars made in September (The ship that left China in early October which was loaded while the factory was closed for holiday from Oct 1st).
Re China numbers for October:

Talia is the name of the ship that departed Shanghai on Oct 2nd. It then unloaded in Southampton, and then unloaded more at Zeebrugge. So seems to have been carrying plenty of cars.

Because it left Shanghai in October, I am presuming its cars were counted in the “export” number for the Tesla October “sales” data released last week (please someone correct me If I‘m wrong on that). But none of the cars onboard this ship were produced in October, seeing as the factory was closed on Oct 1st/2nd.

This is why I am saying be careful when extrapolating Oct figures for Nov & Dec. All the production estimates I have seen have mentioned that the Oct sales number should basically match the Oct production number, but that is not the case if this ships cargo was all pre-october production, and if it’s cargo is included in the Oct export sales number.

View attachment 732398

While hard to predict with certainty, I believe that an instant rebate of several thousand dollars will indeed speed up the adoption of EVs. I'm of the opinion that rebates are marketed by politicians as being for consumers, but are designed to help the manufacturers instead. In this case, OEMs have started to spend money on electrification, but no one other than Tesla has shown they can profit by making BEVs. Legacy does not want to flip the switch and start mass production of truly competitive BEVs so as not to Osborne their currently profitable lineup, at least not while they lack visibility as to when/if they can make money in the BEV space.

Currently, the prices they need to charge to become profitable are too high for the market to bear at the scale they need. If they have an $8,000 to $12,500 pricing advantage vs their ICE lineup which is locked in for a decade, they have line-of-sight to transition their manufacturing process in a way that has a chance to avoid the complete destruction of the company. It also will give them better leverage when they go to bankers/investors to raise debt to fund this transition if they can show clear product-market fit due to the artificially lowered price of the cars.

These factors taken together will derisk a larger, earlier investment in the transition. That clarity of direction will filter down the supply chain to the miners, the anode and cathode makers, the cell producers, etc. More, larger investments in the supply chain seem an inevitable outcome as it removes risk from scaling of these projects too early by creating certainty of future demand. A higher likelihood of profitability for OEMs also seems to reduce the counterparty risk to these supply chain companies.

I do agree with Elon that Tesla does not need the subsidy, that for Tesla, production, R & D, and charger infrastructure do not require supports from the governments to succeed. In fact, this bill as written looks very much like a bailout to US legacy OEMs. However, I think this bill would help the mission of Tesla to accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation by acting as a forcing factor and de-risking apparatus for the legacy transition.

Well, if the union and PHEV provisions are deleted anyway.
Agree with you. If I remember my eco101 a positive demand shock is met with a price increase in the short term and a supply increase over the medium term.

Even though every EV being produced now is being sold immediately, the subsidy will increase the margins of ev sellers - who will then be able to pay more for EV parts to build the vehicles - and so on and so forth.

The result is that companies building non-EV widgets will look at those juicy EV widget prices and start researching/producing.

Tesla might be running at full speed to transition to EV but the entire world isn't - this is where subsidies help (Tesla just gets to bank the extra profits).

The flaw in the alternative thinking is assuming the supply response is capped, which it isn't. It just gets less and less efficient for every extra $ spent on front loading the transition.

@TheTalkingMule i disagreed to your post for the above reasons.

While hard to predict with certainty, I believe that an instant rebate of several thousand dollars will indeed speed up the adoption of EVs. I'm of the opinion that rebates are marketed by politicians as being for consumers, but are designed to help the manufacturers instead. In this case, OEMs have started to spend money on electrification, but no one other than Tesla has shown they can profit by making BEVs. Legacy does not want to flip the switch and start mass production of truly competitive BEVs so as not to Osborne their currently profitable lineup, at least not while they lack visibility as to when/if they can make money in the BEV space.

Currently, the prices they need to charge to become profitable are too high for the market to bear at the scale they need. If they have an $8,000 to $12,500 pricing advantage vs their ICE lineup which is locked in for a decade, they have line-of-sight to transition their manufacturing process in a way that has a chance to avoid the complete destruction of the company. It also will give them better leverage when they go to bankers/investors to raise debt to fund this transition if they can show clear product-market fit due to the artificially lowered price of the cars.

These factors taken together will derisk a larger, earlier investment in the transition. That clarity of direction will filter down the supply chain to the miners, the anode and cathode makers, the cell producers, etc. More, larger investments in the supply chain seem an inevitable outcome as it removes risk from scaling of these projects too early by creating certainty of future demand. A higher likelihood of profitability for OEMs also seems to reduce the counterparty risk to these supply chain companies.

I do agree with Elon that Tesla does not need the subsidy, that for Tesla, production, R & D, and charger infrastructure do not require supports from the governments to succeed. In fact, this bill as written looks very much like a bailout to US legacy OEMs. However, I think this bill would help the mission of Tesla to accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation by acting as a forcing factor and de-risking apparatus for the legacy transition.

Well, if the union and PHEV provisions are deleted anyway.
You make some good points about a wider supply chain. But at this point I have lost patients with these footdraggers. To hit net zero in 2050, we need all automakers to shut down all ICE production over the next five years. We simply don't have time to nurse OEMs along so that the can continue to build ICE vehicles for the next ten years.

This is a pre-bail out. The ICE production lines will be worthless in 5 years without the EV incentives. What the EV incentives really do is help legacy auto to sell enough mediocre EV product to cover the CAFE standards. That is, for every ICE vehicle they sell, they will have to buy reg credits from the likes of Tesla or create them by making and selling EVs. So any EV incentive out there makes the reg credits cheaper to buy or create. The net results is that legacy automakers will have an implicit subsidy for the regulatory cost of selling ICE. This is required at just the time ICE is becoming unpopular. To keep legacy automakers afloat with BAU ICE, the need relief from the cost of CAFE and other reg credits because their ICE product will not fetch the profitable price it once had.

The net impact of this is that it can stretch out ICE production longer than the market alone would have killed of ICE sales. There is a basic misdirection going on. The politicians are pointing to an increase in EV sales as a measure of success against climate change. But in reality it is the decline of ICE sales that truly slows climate change. That decline in ICE sales began back in 2018, and it is a looming political crisis if ICE production shuts down too quickly as EVs become more compelling. So BBB and earlier Green New Deal were trying to thread the needle which is how look like government is responding assertively to climate change while protecting and replacing jobs that that will be lost in rapid decarbonization of the national economy. It is be no means an easy problem to solve. But lets be clear what is at stake. For the sake of the climate, ICE manufacturing jobs must be destroyed and will be lost over the next 5 to 8 years. Right now, Tesla looks more like the destroyer of jobs, rather than the champion of climate action.

Agree with you. If I remember my eco101 a positive demand shock is met with a price increase in the short term and a supply increase over the medium term.

Even though every EV being produced now is being sold immediately, the subsidy will increase the margins of ev sellers - who will then be able to pay more for EV parts to build the vehicles - and so on and so forth.

The result is that companies building non-EV widgets will look at those juicy EV widget prices and start researching/producing.

Tesla might be running at full speed to transition to EV but the entire world isn't - this is where subsidies help (Tesla just gets to bank the extra profits).

The flaw in the alternative thinking is assuming the supply response is capped, which it isn't. It just gets less and less efficient for every extra $ spent on front loading the transition.

@TheTalkingMule i disagreed to your post for the above reasons.
Yes. This tends to encourage the seller to increase supply (building factories, new lines, more shifts etc.). In the case of EVs, demand looks to be inelastic, at least for Tesla and a few others. Tesla is already increasing supply as fast as possible, so they will tend to soak up most of the subsidy in the form of higher margins. Other suppliers are more lukewarm on expanding supply (because they don't make large profits) and this gives them the impetus to do so.

Ending ALL subsidies would be preferable, but as long as we subsidize fossil fuels, this credit will help the transition. Note that the demand curve doesn't shift. This is the generic example. With current EV demand, the Demand curve will be closer to horizontal than a 45 degree angle.

1638991663440.png

Attachments

• 1638992008430.png
    1638992008430.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 34