Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may be an unpopular opinion, I think FSD beta already has good value at the current stage.
Just showing some of my friends the FSD beta last night, it wasn't a smooth ride without intervention and they were still very impressed. As a result, one person said he would buy FSD if the price is still $7,000. Another person who was looking to buy a different brand EV is now committed to buying a Tesla.
To you and everyone else giving rides: keep up the good work!!!
I do so from time to time: the car really impressed my boss this week when I had quietly turned the AC on 5 minutes before heading to the sunny 100 deg F parking lot to return from business lunch. A true relief to slide into a cool seat when you are braced for 2 minutes of hot air blasting vents. He is pretty environmentally aware and an engineer, so there is hope there...

This Reddit comment could be someone getting confused, or it could be evidence that Tesla is also making 2170 LR Model Y's in Austin. He's posted his VIN (A004XXX) as well as his config showing LR AWD:

ST9eGPS.png

This Reddit comment could be someone getting confused, or it could be evidence that Tesla is also making 2170 LR Model Y's in Austin. He's posted his VIN (A004XXX) as well as his config showing LR AWD:

ST9eGPS.png

4 posters here are claiming they got VINs for MY LR built in Austin. I thought they were fake reports, but maybe it’s happening. Seems quick considering some of the tooling parts where still in China just a few weeks ago.

Having a battery line made in China and importing it to retrofit into your brand new state of the art factory is clearly a sign

What?? You are making this up? No battery line is made in China and imported to US or Germany.

Try again, and you may get it right. And the issue is far less benign that what you make it out to be.

Um, this make no sense. 2170's for US Teslas are made primarily at Kato Road - I don't believe any cells are imported from China.

Could you be really really specific about what you mean by "Having a battery line made in China and importing it to retrofit into your brand new state of the art factory" means, or are you just making stuff up?
No, 4680's are made at Kato Road.

2170's are made by Panasonic in Japan and in Nevada. Are you making stuff up?

Reactions: traxila and hobbes
Um, this make no sense. 2170's for US Teslas are made primarily at Kato Road - I don't believe any cells are imported from China.

Could you be really really specific about what you mean by "Having a battery line made in China and importing it to retrofit into your brand new state of the art factory" means, or are you just making stuff up?
Don't you mean 4680's are made at Kato Rd, not 2170?

Tesla are also making 4680 at Giga Texas although we don't currently how many of these are going into cars vs cells from Kato Rd. Given the larger scale of lines at Giga Texas and the ongoing ramp, I would hope the greater number are coming from Texas.

Tesla gets it's 2170's from Panasonic in Nevada and from LG primarily made in China but also possibly Korea. Given Panasonics limited lines in Nevada I would expect that much of the extra 2170 Tesla have been able to source would be coming from LG plants in either China or Korea. Therefore many of the 2170 cars produced in the USA may be using imported 2170 cells. The Panasonic cells from Japan have previously just been 18650 and only used in Model S and X.

Toyota recalls bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Official documents at the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport, and Tourism

With repeated hard cornering and hard braking, the lug bolts may loosen, eventually causing abnormal noise. In the worst case, tires may detach from the vehicle.

Action: Do not use the vehicle until a remedy becomes available.
----- translation ends ------

So, bZ4X uses lug bolts, instead of lug nuts, to secure wheels to the vehicle. If the lug bolts were the source of the recall, Toyota can just replcae them. But because they didn't, it seems the wheel hubs may be the source.

Tesla bringing back Enhanced Autopilot for $6k! Hopefully tons of customers buy it within the next 6 days before end of quarter:

$6k? Wow. I would bite at 2k, maybe 3k. But there are not enough features in EAP compared to AP for me to plop down 6k.

Bring on the flames . . .

EDIT - shows up in my Tesla app, so it is live for purchase.

I’m surprised by the ease with which many on this thread are willing to assume Elon’s comments mean nothing or simply indicate business as usual. I’ll be the first to admit we are lacking clarity and real specific details, but as investors it seems prudent to consider all the possibilities and avoid an echo chamber of rainbow, butterflies and unicorns.

It seems to be factual that the 4680 ramp isn’t going as optimal as hoped. It seems when building the Austin and Berlin gigas, Tesla had to plan for a certain 4680 ramp/maturity. I believe they bet fairly big or optimistically on where the 4680 ramp would be...maybe too much so? We've seen Tesla acknowledge that Berlin had a 2170 backup plan pretty early on. I think he said they are putting in a similar plan in Austin. I believe these adjustments to the original plan and the compatibility with structural pack is the real curve ball at the new gigas. Of course all the supply chain issues exasperate the problem and offer additional issues with chips and more. I know Tesla is agile and doing amazing things to overcome....but we are operating without a lot of positive data here on this topic, so it seems like we shouldn't assume everything is rosey...I am hoping to learn more about the 4680 ramp and mitigation plans at our next conference call to give us more facts and clarity.

I’m surprised by the ease with which many on this thread are willing to assume Elon’s comments mean nothing or simply indicate business as usual.
You are right, but this isn't a "bet the company" situation.

The combination of the Shanghai shutdown, supply chain challenges plus the Austin and Berlin ramp is challenging.

IMO the salaried staff layoffs, and EAP being back on sale, could be related.

Q2 is the quarter where most of these pigeons are landing, Q3/Q4 should see things improve substantially, and Q1 2023 is back to the races IMO.

It still isn't clear to me what Q2 numbers will be.

I normally copy my homework from the hardworking folks in this thread:- Near-future quarterly financial projections

Last edited:
You are right, but this isn't a "bet the company" situation.

The combination of the Shanghai shutdown, supply chain challenges plus the Austin and Berlin ramp is challenging.

IMO the salaried staff layoffs, and EAP being back on sale, could be related.

Q2 is the quarter where most of these pigeons are landing, Q3/Q4 should see things improve substantially, and Q1 2023 is back to the races IMO.

It still isn't clear to me what numbers Q2 will be.

I normally copy my homework from the hardworking folks in this thread:- Near-future quarterly financial projections

I'm still trying to see the panic, other than Elon's usual over-the-top words at being upset his new factories are not yet up to the speed he'd like to see.

In Q1, Tesla was paying to build and ramp both Berlin, and Austin with very little output from either. During that quarter, they didn't just break even, they made BILLIONS in profit, enough to pay off essentially ALL their debt, plus have a billion or two left over UNSPENT.

This is while they were largely shipping cars into cheap reservations from mid 2021.

For the rest of the year, they have MORE cars coming from the two new factories, they have ZERO interest or debt to pay, and they will be delivering cars at an increasing rate into reservations at steadily rising prices as they move past the 2021 backlog.

Yes, China was down and/or slow for a few weeks. I wave a billion dollars which doesn't have to be spent funding debt at that topic, and have several more billion to spare... I just don't see ANY panic or threat to Tesla's health in any way shape or form.

Ford has had to recall every Mach-e it ever made, and has confessed they're losing money on each electric car they ship - that's a problem. Third-and-fourth giga-factories ramping slower than desired against profit margins that are already 3x higher than the legacy carmakers ever achieved? Not a problem.

Last edited:
End of quarter delivery numbers are going up in the Netherlands. June: Model 3 75; Model Y 53. Total BEV 3443 of 14920 total car sales.

I’m on a trip by car to Lisbon. Wednesday evening I saw (for my first time) a trailer with 6 Teslas, heading north. While passing through Belgium I saw several Teslas Model 3 on the road, but no Model S with @NicoV in it (If he wasn’t busy on TMC either, the mods may need to question him about his loyalty to the mission).

Last edited: